By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - sales of 3D-TV's in the US

HappySqurriel said:
irstupid said:
HappySqurriel said:
irstupid said:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm waiting for glasses free tv's

I figure by the time 3D is worth it, they will be soon in coming.  I mean what is there to do in 3D now anyway?  Is there any tv shows in 3D?  A few movies made in 3D, rest just tacked on, like wii motion games, lol.  And a couple games also in 3D.  Totally not worth it for me now.

And by the time it is, I figure we should be close to glasses free being done.

I dont' want to have to buy like  5 glasses and still be short at times, and then worry about scratching, losing, ect.  Screw that noise.

Personally, I’m anticipating that 3DTV will be adopted at a similar rate to HDTV; and when you consider that the first HDTV broadcasts and sales were in the mid 1990s and 15 years later we’re almost at a 50% adoption rate, I don’t think that we will be at a point where it makes sense to buy a 3DTV for quite some time.

i always find it funny how some poeple seem to think that in like 2 years everyone will have a 3DTV

Some new tech comes along and internet bloggers think that everyone's going to run out and get it. 

Personally, I think this comes from "Tech People" projecting their values onto the general public rather than paying attention to what the general public wants or how they behave. For example, most people don’t replace perfectly good TVs so their current TV has to break (or in some way become undesirable) before they replace it; and when they do replace it they’re much more likely to get the biggest TV in their price range than to pick up the newest technology. What this means is that for a new kind of TV to spread quickly it has to be remarkably popular (I suspect color TV was like this) or it has to hit a point where it is ubiquitous; and people have no choice but to buy those TVs.

This will probably be the case. Look at the technology in 3D Tvs its not that special it cant be compared to other changes in Technology. it doesnt require much new and expensive technology. On the beginning its ofcourse a little expensive since factorys have to be modified and the fix costs of the development have to be included also companies protect their Technologys with artifical high prices so they can still profit on the old ones which are extremly cheap. 3d will soon be included in every TV with almost no or no higher price once all factorys are modified and the chinese can copy it it will be cheap. So people will have it even if they dont know it. They have to adapt it because they dont have a chance like nowadays its complicated to buy a non Flat TV even though CRTs would still be a little cheaper they just dont exist anymore. And this will happen with 3d faster because the technology for 3d is actually cheap. Its just a higher hertz number combined with some software. many people will have it without even knowing look at the prices of 3d Tvs today and they are out just a couple of months compare it with other stuff Bluray DVD Plasmas and so on. Then calculate how much percent bluray got cheaper in a couple of years its now on a tenth of its price. And that happened with other things too Plasma is 100times cheaper DvD was in the beginnig thousends same goes for Color TV if you calculate the the inflation. And the fact that 3D TVs cant sink to much since they are already at a very low price 2000k for 42 inch shows us that the 3d technology is not expensive its way cheaper then all other noveltys and the effect is way bigger. In 5 years every TV 80% of the Tvs will be 3d and the Price will benot higher then a same sized HDTV today. It will factualy cost almost nothing.

Its compared to any other new technology of similar impact very very cheap. Thats why Sony is confident with 3d because its actually cheap. 1500 Dollar for a Bluray Player a Few years ago. now 100-300 Dollar. DVD Player 2000 Dollar or even more right after they were available. Now 29 Dollar. Plasma Tvs 100000 Dollar in the first years then later 10000 Dollar for a very long time and then 5000 and so on today 1000-2000 Dollar. LCD 1000 Dollar for a 15 inch PC monitor today 200 for 24 inch. Notebooks 5000 Dollar today 500. CD Player 1000-2000 Dollar.

Pcs 5000 Dollar today 500; Beamer 20000 Dollar today 2000-500

mobile Phones C net Phones 25000 Dollar D net phones 10000 Dollar today 20 Dollar (smart phones are a mix between PC and Phone and little TV nowadays)

3D Tvs in a big size 1080p Plasma or LCD 1500-3000 Dollar smaller PC Screens 400 Dollar. Lets take a similar sized Plasma or LCD TV with similar quality 1080p and so on and you pay 1000 Dollar for it a 42 inch Plasma so the actual 3d is 1000 Dollar today. it will soon be just 100 Dollar or even 50 Dollar you have still to pay for your TV but the 3d technology itself will be almost free. I am sure 3d will be adapted pretty fast HDTVs needed 15 years for 50% 3d Tv will do that faster I am absolutly sure they start cheaper and the tech itself will be soon almost for free non 3d and 3d will be the same and it will soon reach the point where people cant choose anymore and wont think about it it will be standard and people wont even buy 3d Tvs on purpose like people dont buy Color Tv on purpose that point will be reached in 5-7 years I am sure.

Around the Network
  • That is more or less what the Wii does in 4 weeks (without the software).
  • With software included this might be 2 weeks of Wii revenue during a slow time of the year.
  • Just as much as Xbox Live fees for ONE month.
  • 25% of the first day sales of Halo 3
  • 10% of Modern Warfare 2 first day sales (excluding PC)

Well... not that much to be honest.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

The day 3DWii launches ill get a 3D TV. lol

It's something that is still getting into the market, it will keep growing in the next few years so i think Sony is smart to get into that market from now on

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Albion said:

That could be pretty soon.

Nintendo Considering 3D For Wii Successor

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/17/iwata_on_3d_wii/

Ok still they are just considering but 3d is Nintendos big thing. Lets recapitulate they sunk tens of Millions of Dollars into the Virtual Boy there first attempt to go 3D and they actually used a clever 3d Design for the wario game. The games are not that bad especially the Wario game made clever use of the 3D and the effect is pretty nice for the time. Nintendo was so confident that 3D will be the next big thing that they actually produced the Virtual Boy which failed due to form Factor and lack of Colors.

Now they put their money in another 3D Gaming Device. Which this time will be a huge success since its clever designed in color and the successor of the Nintendo DS.

And now they are considering into putting 3d in their Homeconsole ? I remeber them saying that the new WII will not be just a simple Update but it will be a new revolutionary thing. 3D is perfect for them its Nintendo who knows what they are going to achieve I think they will do 3d since they even considered it for the GameCube its like mark through their History Nintendo always liked the idea of 3D they are going to include it in their next Home Console.

3D is the future. Everyone who saw a wave splashing directly in his face in Full HD wont get enough of it. Still Cant imagine how this is going to be normal for someone. The world is full of beautiful things which look better in 3D then in 2D.

Around the Network

To compare with another new technology, the iPad sold triple that amount in dollars first day.

So you can't really blame it on being new and expensive. People just aren't that interested.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Netyaroze said:
Albion said:

That could be pretty soon.

Nintendo Considering 3D For Wii Successor

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/17/iwata_on_3d_wii/

Ok still they are just considering but 3d is Nintendos big thing. Lets recapitulate they sunk tens of Millions of Dollars into the Virtual Boy there first attempt to go 3D and they actually used a clever 3d Design for the wario game. The games are not that bad especially the Wario game made clever use of the 3D and the effect is pretty nice for the time. Nintendo was so confident that 3D will be the next big thing that they actually produced the Virtual Boy which failed due to form Factor and lack of Colors.

Now they put their money in another 3D Gaming Device. Which this time will be a huge success since its clever designed in color and the successor of the Nintendo DS.

And now they are considering into putting 3d in their Homeconsole ? I remeber them saying that the new WII will not be just a simple Update but it will be a new revolutionary thing. 3D is perfect for them its Nintendo who knows what they are going to achieve I think they will do 3d since they even considered it for the GameCube its like mark through their History Nintendo always liked the idea of 3D they are going to include it in their next Home Console.

3D is the future. Everyone who saw a wave splashing directly in his face in Full HD wont get enough of it. Still Cant imagine how this is going to be normal for someone. The world is full of beautiful things which look better in 3D then in 2D.

i believe he said when 3DTV's have like a 30% market, and last I checked 20k is not even close to that.

This is irrelavent as almost all new high-end TVs/Bluray players can do 3D. So what percentage of those purchases are actually for 3D vs people just buying the normal higher-end products? You'd have to track the sales of the glasses to really know.

Grimes said:

To compare with another new technology, the iPad sold triple that amount in dollars first day.

So you can't really blame it on being new and expensive. People just aren't that interested.

This is one of the most retarded comparasions I've ever seen, with the launch of intel pentium processors military groups around the world made a purchase hundred times what IPad sold in dollars first day.

Also what is the number of households in USA that can afford even a regular HDTV, that's not 103 mio, maybe half? Maybe less?

And BTW 3DTV is already beeing broadcasted, WorldCup for example has 3D Recording equipment made by Sony at half of the stadiums.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

Grimes said:

You cant compare it with the Ipad. Apple is a phenomenon which has a loyal fanbase who buys everything right from the start they have a guaranteed number no matter what they sell.

Compare it with something equal DVD,HDTV,Bluray,CD not with one hyped and well known product which was seen on every channel on the news because thats always if Apple releases something its a newsworthy event. 3D Tvs are a pretty unknown Technology people are not familiar with it. If it would be a bad number like you say there would be articles which say its a poor start that would be more newsworthy so we would find more articles saying that and we would already have threads about it. Since the Article doesnt mention its bad and doesnt mention its good we can say its an expected number. Do you have a problem with Sony itself or with the technology ? Or do you know a source which actually puts that into perspective and says its a poor performance or do you actually really believe thats a fair comparison ?

There is no media out there the technology is brand new we are in the middle of the year in a slow time for entertainment technology and you compare it with the Ipad ? Infact there is no reason at the moment to buy a 3D TV since there is not much stuff which is interesting yet.

I will end here knowing that 75% of the people on this forum will own a 3D Tv in 5 years. No matter what they say today.