By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - sales of 3D-TV's in the US

HappySqurriel said:
Kynes said:

That's what, 20K units in 3 months? In a country with more than 75 million of houses? It's not a relevant number.

I just wanted to note that there are more than 100 Million households in the United States; it was something like 103 Million a couple of years ago. 

To put these sales into perspective, Sega bragged that they sold more than $100 Million in systems, accessories and games for the Dreamcast on its launch day of September 9th 1999.

Thank you, that puts that number in perspective. Totally irrelevant!

Around the Network

I don't know about you guys, but I'm waiting for glasses free tv's

I figure by the time 3D is worth it, they will be soon in coming.  I mean what is there to do in 3D now anyway?  Is there any tv shows in 3D?  A few movies made in 3D, rest just tacked on, like wii motion games, lol.  And a couple games also in 3D.  Totally not worth it for me now.

And by the time it is, I figure we should be close to glasses free being done.

I dont' want to have to buy like  5 glasses and still be short at times, and then worry about scratching, losing, ect.  Screw that noise.

irstupid said:

I figure by the time 3D is worth it, they will be soon in coming.  I mean what is there to do in 3D now anyway?  Is there any tv shows in 3D?  A few movies made in 3D, rest just tacked on, like wii motion games, lol.  And a couple games also in 3D.  Totally not worth it for me now.

I dont' want to have to buy like  5 glasses and still be short at times, and then worry about scratching, losing, ect.  Screw that noise.

Personally, I’m anticipating that 3DTV will be adopted at a similar rate to HDTV; and when you consider that the first HDTV broadcasts and sales were in the mid 1990s and 15 years later we’re almost at a 50% adoption rate, I don’t think that we will be at a point where it makes sense to buy a 3DTV for quite some time.

ok fair enough:):) guess i am just sensitive from all my bannings lol, and to be honest even i am surprised by the amount sold, as most of us cannot afford this tech just yet.

my apologies go to ya

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

HappySqurriel said:
irstupid said:

Personally, I’m anticipating that 3DTV will be adopted at a similar rate to HDTV; and when you consider that the first HDTV broadcasts and sales were in the mid 1990s and 15 years later we’re almost at a 50% adoption rate, I don’t think that we will be at a point where it makes sense to buy a 3DTV for quite some time.

i always find it funny how some poeple seem to think that in like 2 years everyone will have a 3DTV

Some new tech comes along and internet bloggers think that everyone's going to run out and get it. 

Around the Network

Glassless TV will take a lot of time. The resolution needed for Glassless TV is incredible dont remember the correct number but something like 7000*9000 or something like that, 10 years and it will probably start way more expenisve then the 3D with glassess today. I can see people in 10 years saying who needs glassless if the effect is not better then with glasses but the price 10times as high. Ofcourse after another 5 years they will also buy glassless 3d TVs. The 3d Technology of the 3DS cant be used for TVs afaik and also I doubt the effect will be as good as 3d with glasses.

I understand that the number of glasses needed is high but in a couple of years we will get probably 5 pairs for 200 Dollar. Its just a matter of time.

Netyaroze said:

Glassless TV will take a lot of time. The resolution needed for Glassless TV is incredible dont remember the correct number but something like 7000*9000 or something like that, 10 years and it will probably start way more expenisve then the 3D with glassess today. I can see people in 10 years saying who needs glassless if the effect is not better then with glasses but the price 10times as high. Ofcourse after another 5 years they will also buy glassless 3d TVs. The 3d Technology of the 3DS cant be used for TVs afaik and also I doubt the effect will be as good as 3d with glasses.

I understand that the number of glasses needed is high but in a couple of years we will get probably 5 pairs for 200 Dollar. Its just a matter of time.

talk to me when sports are in 3D.  Pretty sure that is 90% reason why people bought HDTV is for stuff like Football games in HD.   Movies and ha, games won't move these systems beyond the super small population.  It will be normal tv shows, and sports.

It will be soon included its a wonderful opportunity for pay TV to bring new customers in. Give it 2-3 years.

irstupid said:
Netyaroze said:

talk to me when sports are in 3D.  Pretty sure that is 90% reason why people bought HDTV is for stuff like Football games in HD.   Movies and ha, games won't move these systems beyond the super small population.  It will be normal tv shows, and sports.

sports in 3D!  can i talk to you months ago now?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2010-01-05-espn-3d-network_N.htm

http://blogs.forbes.com/sportsmoney/2010/06/nascar-to-go-3d-with-coke-zero-400/

http://www.tv.com/comcast-cable-enters-a-new-dimension/webnews/96117.html

irstupid said:
HappySqurriel said:
irstupid said:

i always find it funny how some poeple seem to think that in like 2 years everyone will have a 3DTV

Some new tech comes along and internet bloggers think that everyone's going to run out and get it. 

Personally, I think this comes from "Tech People" projecting their values onto the general public rather than paying attention to what the general public wants or how they behave. For example, most people don’t replace perfectly good TVs so their current TV has to break (or in some way become undesirable) before they replace it; and when they do replace it they’re much more likely to get the biggest TV in their price range than to pick up the newest technology. What this means is that for a new kind of TV to spread quickly it has to be remarkably popular (I suspect color TV was like this) or it has to hit a point where it is ubiquitous; and people have no choice but to buy those TVs.