By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii "MOST ACTIVE" console.....BS

it's an online survey - only people who don't have enough games to play take these ;)

Around the Network
ImJustBayuum said:

in an analyst Q&A session during E3 in Los Angeles last week, Fils-Aime cited a February survey from independent market research firm Ipsos that found 51 percent of adult (18 ) Wii owners use the console at least one to two hours a week.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29081/Nintendo_Adults_More_Active_On_Wii_Than_Xbox_360_PS3.php

That's not what the survey says at all.

The survey says that 51% of the people interviewed play Wii for more than an hour per week. It could well be that 100% of the people surveyed owned Wiis. It could well be that 51% of the people surveyed owned Wiis. So that's fine either way.

What's really flawed are the PS3 and 360 figures. Since fewer people own those consoles, obviously a smaller percentage of people are going to play them for more than 1-2 hours a week.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
ImJustBayuum said:

in an analyst Q&A session during E3 in Los Angeles last week, Fils-Aime cited a February survey from independent market research firm Ipsos that found 51 percent of adult (18 ) Wii owners use the console at least one to two hours a week.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29081/Nintendo_Adults_More_Active_On_Wii_Than_Xbox_360_PS3.php

The survey says that 51% of the people interviewed play Wii for more than an hour per week. It could well be that 100% of the people surveyed owned Wiis. It could well be that 51% of the people surveyed owned Wiis. So that's fine either way.

What's really flawed are the PS3 and 360 figures. Since fewer people own those consoles, obviously a smaller percentage of people are going to play them for more than 1-2 hours a week.

You made me scratch my head here.

No, it doesn't lead into that at all. It's not a question of what percentage of people, it's what percentage of owners. All those polled for Wii owned Wiis. All those polled for other consoles owned those consoles.

I play my Wii far far more than my PS3, I always guessed I was in the minority

Khuutra said:
Kantor said:
ImJustBayuum said:

No, it doesn't lead into that at all. It's not a question of what percentage of people, it's what percentage of owners. All those polled for Wii owned Wiis. All those polled for other consoles owned those consoles.

In that case, why did Reggie bring up marketshare as it relates to the percentages?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
MrT-Tar said:

I play my Wii far far more than my PS3, I always guessed I was in the minority

You're not the minority.  You're also not Hardcore.

Smidlee said:

I wonder how many Wii only compared to 360 only and ps3 only owners there are in the survey. iIown all of them which there are weeks I don't touch either one of them. PC is the only system I could answer yes to.

Also the question states  atleast one to two hours a week. What if someone played 5 hours a week? Why not stated it "atleast one hour a week" instead. 

Wii fit is not really a game so what about using PS3 as a DVD/Blu-ray player? Does that count in the survey?

Just to clarify 
WII fit is a game  it is a collection of mini games where you have to move to play. 

Metallicube said:
Pyro as Bill said:

What the hell are all these >18 yr olds playing if there are hardly any 18 rated games on the system?

Just doesn't make sense, Reggie's lying.

And who says you have to play 18 rated games if you're 18 years old? I and many people I know play several E rated Wii games like Mario Kart, Wii Sports, Wario Ware, etc, and have plenty of fun with it, and we are in our 20s. You can't put an age limit on the fun factor of a game.

I'm 50 and galaxy 2 is played by  my daughter and me almost everyday.  Average 2 hours a day on that great game.

Plus monster hunter tri and sports resort, sam and max, wii fit.  The only M rated game we play is MW reflex

Khuutra said:

Nope.

They asked for people who played more than 1-2 hrs a week. Of those, 51% were Wii owners, etc. That's why

a) the percentages sum to a nice 51% plus 26% plus 22% = 99% (rounding error, but clearly a partition of 100%)

b) they compare it to marketshares (again rounding error, they sum to 99%)

Basically those numbers don't say that Wii owners are "more active" by virtue of 51 being greater than 26 and 22. Just that the players that declared to be "active" according to that 2hrs criterion, were distributed among consoles in more or less the same way as the marketshare, with a slight plus for Wii and PS3 and a small deficit for 360.

Or in other words: more or less the same percentage of Wii, 360 and PS3 owners plays at least 2hrs a week.

Not exactly earth-shattering, as those small discrepancies might depend strongly on the exact threshold you choose for activity.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

What I gather is this

The question is how often do they play X cconsoles, with 1-2 hours being the lowest group. Basically, they are just throwing out time values lower then an hour.