By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Metroid: Other M sales predictions thread

jarrod said:
Khuutra said:
jarrod said:

Okay, Metroid... how is Other M tracking compared to other "2nd Metroids" per system?   ie: Prime 2 or Zero Mission?

This is a peculiar qualifier, especially as only one of those is an original game. The two games performed nothing alike.

My answer will depend. Do you want to use VGChartz or NPD numbers for the states?

Zero Mission is essentially an original game.  Similar to Star Fox 64.

I'll take any and all data. <3

Keep in mind we don't have weekly numbers for these two games (mostly) so anything I say has to be taken with a grain of salt.

NPD numbers are about ~200k below ours in the US, as I recall. Allowing for no overtracking anywhere else, that would place us at about ~380,000 total units sold to consumers worldwide. This does not seem to be in keeping with Reggie's statement, unless he is referring to shipped copies (which is possible). Going by those numbers, Other M is - hrm. We, uh. We seemm to no longer have Zero Mission listed on this site. I remember it being at about 550,000, though, which would seem to be where Other M is bound to end up going by NPD numbers.

If we go by VGChartz numbers the picture isn't a lot better. Echoes had a tremendous drop-off following the holiday season but still managed to sell 300k units after its first ten weeks in the Americas alone. More, the game sold over 400k in Europe, a feat which Other M is almost definitely not going to match.

By NPD it's roughly on track with Zero Mission. By VGChartz, it's still trailing Echoes considerably.

Around the Network

Wow, I thought I was being conservative in my Metroid: Other Flop prediction but it turned out I actually overestimated sales. This game will struggle to get a million sales. Hopefully Nintendo and Team Ninja has learned that this is not the kind of game people want on Wii for a Metroid game.

Khuutra said:
jarrod said:
darthdevidem01 said:

But The Wind Waker was loved critically and most fans loved it.

TWW was pretty split critically, though it did get high-ish scores.  It's pretty divisive among the fanbase too, unlike OOT or even TP comparably, and it was a definite sales disappointment.  

A lot of that was attributed to it's aesthetic (which I loved personally) and it's ocean faring overworld design (which I hated), so it's no surprise both things were dropped for the next Zelda.  I think we'll see the same for the next Metroid (ie: less intrusive voice/CG/cutscenes, more open world design/progression on an actual planet, etc).

http://www.metacritic.com/game/gamecube/the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker

Your first two statements are patently untrue. Wind Waker received universal praise among critics, and its metacritic score is among the highest of its generation (or series). Similarly, Wind Waker's vocal detractors in the fanbase are mostly silent and gone, with TP taking its place as the divisive game.

Granted it was a sales disappointment.

I didn't like windwaker all that much including the art style

I hate spirit tracks and thought the phantom hourglass was pretty good  despite the art style 

@Khuutra: Sorry, I misunderstood what you said originally. I though that you had said that Other M sold more 3k in its 12th week than Twilight Princess in its 12th week. Hence the question about the comparison. It didn't occur to me that TP could still be selling as much as Other M.

I don't object to the comparison, you were comparing the current sales of an old game with a new one.

RolStoppable said:

I am spot on with my 13 weeks prediction, because the game is overtracked on VGC.

If NPD is right then you overshot it considerably.

@xupaxupa:

Ah, don't worryy about it. It was kinda heavy-handed of me, and I should have been more clear besides.

Around the Network

17k this week, 5k over last week's numbers. There is definitely some kind of holiday boost happening here, though it's not the miracle some may have been anticipating.

Khuutra said:

17k this week, 5k over last week's numbers. There is definitely some kind of holiday boost happening here, though it's not the miracle some may have been anticipating.

Thats a lame boost isn't it

mhsillen said:
Khuutra said:

Well, I mean.

Maybe a little bit.

Khuutra said:
mhsillen said:
Khuutra said:

Well, I mean.

Maybe a little bit.

If I was nintendo I would be happy to get into the top 200 at least 25-30K

mhsillen said:
Khuutra said:

Well, I mean.

Maybe a little bit.

If I was nintendo I would be happy to get into the top 200 at least 25-30K

This week it is the 20th best-selling Nintendo-published title on the Wii, just behind Wii Fit and just ahead of Link's Crossbow Training.