By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Hold on a second... the US federal reserve bank is... PRIVATE?

That sounds like a very healthy way of banking...

Around the Network

The Fed is a good thing for the USA. They have been keeping inflation in check from the massive Bush spending on the def spending. It is better than the governemnt controlling it because anything and i believe whole heartily that anything the governement does with spending and taxing only screws up our economy. The fed has the power to expand or contract the money supply in our country. The top banks all have to be a member and have to play by the rules they all watch over eachother to make sure no one is getting an unfair advantage. And the government has slight over site. The government spending too much raises inflation and interest rates the fed must correct this. The government has a check on their spending by the fed changing interest rates or the money supply. However the fed wasnt ment to be constantly changing the interest rate but since the governemnt is so bad with money and its effects on our market the fed does take action to midigate the gov actions.

Okay any questions feel free to message me or reply. I doubt anyone truly understood what i just said.

"Like you know"

All you money are belong to US?

I would be very careful about quoting articles from the "APFN" as an unbiased source ... this organization represents a specific view of what government should and should not be involved in. To get a clear picture you may want to look at the candidate they are endorsing for the 2008 presidential election - Ron Paul.

"I understand the Federal Reserve, but the 'presidentially-appointed Board of Governors' are the only involvement that the Government has, and the selection of members for that board can only be selected from a group of people that are appointed by the private undisclosed banks"

Wrong - the President nominates members of the board who are then confirmed by the Senate. "Private undisclosed banks" do not appoint anyone.

While Ron Paul and others feel that the Fed is "unconstitutional" that has yet to be tested in the Supreme Court. There are plenty of arguments against historical Fed policy and its impacts on the economy but keep in mind that the activities of the Fed are actually fairly transparent when compared to many other National Banks.

I suspect that given the Fed's misjudgment on the credit crisis will have significant effects for a long time to come as economic policy is formulated.

As for interpreting the Constitution ... that is a debate in and of itself as every passage of the constitution and its amendments will be tested and re-interpreted as our culture changes. For instance the "right to bear arms" when first written was based on keeping state militias that could thwart a federal army or foreign attack. Today the idea of a citizens militia is a fantasy (at least in terms of being able to effectively oppose organized military action) so the given current technology and changes in US culture (from a primarily rural agriculture based economy to an urban manufacturing/technology based economy) what does "the right to bear arms" mean?

Is the US a good place to be? I think that all depends on how you define a "good place" and your current situation. It is probably better than some and worse than others.

ioi - "I have always endorsed NPD and have always conceded that their figures are obviously far more accurate than ours ..." - Posted on: 06/14/07, 22:22

http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=355

http://users.cyberone.com.au/myers/money-masters.html

Around the Network

Our currency system is just fine. Why change it?

Since when has any government managed to handle money better than the private industry?

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Grey Acumen said:
Since when has any government managed to handle money better than the private industry?

Good point, and the US is largely run outside of the government anyways.

privatization of the US's banking interests actually date's back to one of our nuttiest Presidents Andrew Jackson (fun facts about Jackson, he nearly beat a would be assassin to death with his cane after a failed attempt on his life, the assassin only survived the attack because Jackson was restrained, He shot and killed 2 men in duels, one of which was for insulting his wife and the other was Charles Dinkinson, He wrecked up the white house in his inaugural ball)
who saw to the closure of the National Bank and moved funds to "pet" state banks and continued said trend.
As far as if Americans should be concerned about the private nature of the fed, mercy no if it's private politicians can get dip their grubby little fingers in to like what happened with social security.
Second thing the Federal Reserve is different than the US mint, which is under the authority of congress and they are the ones that print money.

As far as the Constitution being trampled, as long as the supreme court doesn't deem something unconstitutional it is for all intents and purposes constituational,
The US constitution is an interpretive document different courts have found different meaning in it's words, Thing such as the right to privacy, seperation of church and state, and some of the extension on congressional authority over trade and business come from various interpretations commerce clause which come from the different interpretations of the constitution's wording, No where are a whole lot of things said but the courts have ruled on them as they have seen fit with Judicial activism, frankly the way the US works would be a far different place if court rulings were only through strict constructionalism
Second amendments can always be added to make various things constitutional

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The right to bear arms is in the constiution because everyone has a right to be able to protect themselves and not have to rely on the government or someone else to do it for them, its there so you can protect yourself from attackers forign or domestic (even tyranny). if you research the founding fathers its pretty clear what they ment when they put that in the constituion, but if you just read the constituion as is i can understand you misunderstanding it.

as far as the federal reserve goes, it may be corrupt, it may not be. The problem with the federal reserve is you have few powerfull people deciding what interest rates are when the free market should be doing that. supply and demand can price anything better than a person can. Its no differnt than anything else, do you think the government should decide the price of computers, or the free market/ supply and demand should decide the price? The more government regulation you have the less free market you have. Just look at health care, too much regulation (most of it in favor of heath buisnesses) and prices go up because of it.