By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are you ashamed of playing Nintendo games?

Never, why should I be embarrassed to play some of my most liked games? I can just as easily play a round of DOTA or Starcraft in front of my friends and then play Pokemon or Mario in front of them as well. 

Your whole assumption is that Nintendo games = kids games, which is far from the truth. Nintendo games are for every age and for every gamer. Or at least, every gamer that has the ability to see and comprehend anything beyond the limited current view of "OMGZ I IZ THE HARDCOREZ".

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

yea i never Tell people i own a SNES, only my Sega Genesis

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

No, not at all.   But I grew up playing games in the arcade when pretty much all games were like pac-man, frogger, Donkey-Kong, Q-Bert, Etc.  They were all cute characters so I have no pre-conception that cute characters are for kids.

Really I think that mentality come from the PS1/PS2 generation when it became fashionable for Sony and others to paint Nintendo as 'kiddie' and the Playstation as 'mature'.

Frankly I always found anyone who thought that they were more mature because they were playing a game where blood splattered about and more realistic looks was pretty immature.  It's still a video game. 

Certainly there are kiddie games, but Nintendo generally doesn't make games for kids, nor for adults, they make games for all ages to enjoy, including kids.   But typically teenagers are 'too cool' for that and want blood, guts, gore, violence, sex, etc. thinking it's more manly.  Hardly, but it's a stage most males go through, most outgrow it, especially when they have kids of their own, some don't.

Pineapple said:

I am. I have absolutely no idea why, but I'm ashamed of playing Nintendo games.

I went to the store  to buy Super Mario Galaxy 2 yesterday. To my own horror, I realised that I felt like I shouldn't be buying the game. As if I was playing something that's really meant for children, not people my age.

This kind of lead to me realising that feeling guilty about buying Nintendo games is a recurring event for me. I've somehow ended up subconciously believing that Nintendo games are "kiddy", or however you prefer to word it.

I talked to some other people about it, and it turns out that there are quite a few people who feel that Nintendo games just aren't for them. They love the games, but sort of feel that as males 18-30, they shouldn't.

Have you ever fallen into that "trap", being ashamed/unwilling to tell others that you play Nintendo games?

I feel sorry for you that you must define your "coolness" with videogames.

I will be playing Nintendo games until I'm 80, I don't care what people think of me. I appreciate quality, and Nintendo, for my money, makes the best quality games.

Millennium said:

I outgrew outgrowing Nintendo a long time ago. Part of growing up is becoming secure enough in one's own maturity to not be ashamed of "childish" things.

Amen. You cannot outgrow "fun", and that's what Nintendo does best.

Around the Network

Only game Ive ever been ashamed of playing is DDR. As far as Ninty games, when I mention Im playing them to others(I seldom bring up videogames in social events as most of my friends dont game) most people are interested in them. Be it Mario or Pokemon if I say Im playing it most people will say; "Oh yeah that game looks pretty cool how is it?" or "I used to play that game are the new ones any good?" Nintendo games, as always are made for all ages.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

I always thought it was only the grade school kids that felt bad if they werent playing Halo and CoD (or whatever "in" game) with their friends.

"E" is for EVERYONE. That includes 18-30 males.

nope! im not ashamed! nintendo games are great fun and easily justifiable! 

im ashamed i play WoW >.>

No.

What does bother me is when my friends on Cross Country talk about Call of Duty, and I have nothing to contribute. That's why I'm thinking of reviving my 360 and getting Black Ops this Christmas.....

Also, they make fun of the Wii. A lot. Irrationally. And they make fun of me for playing Nintendo.

But even then I'm not ashamed. I like what I like, and if they can't accept it, so be it.

no bcuz no true gamer cant diss mario

He' s the king of video games,the one who represents gaming

only kids who didnt  grew up with ninty games say they're for kids

I dont know whats ur age but trust me

no adult gamers would look down upon you for playin mario games

Nintendo made me a gamer so I'd be stupid to ever try to forget that                                             like so many people nowadays

The Top  Best Consoles Are SNES and PSX 

Currently Playing: 1.Monster Hunter tri 2.MegaMan 10