By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are you ashamed of playing Nintendo games?

Games4Fun said:
Pineapple said:
Games4Fun said:

This is up there with the dumbest threads ever.

How so? I actually found a lot of the replies incredibly interesting. A fair bit of people are embarassed of doing something that there logically is no reason to be embarassed about. A vast amount of people play and enjoy Mario games - heck, it looks to be well over 1/4 people looking at the franchises' sales this gen. So why are we embarased about it? Lynx idea that it comes from Sony/Sega (and to an extent, others) marketing is intriguing. Even people who love Nintendo games have, by advertisements, been lead to believe that they shouldn't.

I'm pretty bloody amazed that I've actually been fooled by those advertisements. From a psychology viewpoint, it's incredibly interesting.

But sure, go ahead. Feel free to call it "one of the dumbest threads ever", because frankly, you'll just fall into the (surprisingly large) group of silly replies that I really should ignore.

This thread is also interesting on another level, as it nicely sums up the reasons I semi-stopped posting here.

Sorry I just dont get why anyone would ever be ashamed of buying a game that they really enjoy. Yea there is the marketing and the peer pressure from friends and stuff. I am not denying that, but if that is keeping somone from buying a video game I am a bit lost for words. Hell, I dont even know why it matters. If its a friend Id rather them like me for who I am, what I like etc. If I have to tip toe around silly things like video games they are not my friend at all.

I know! That's what makes it so interesting! I know absolutely all of that, yet it makes me feel embarassed. That's amazingly interesting. It's a flaw that I, and a fair bit of others, have. I'm also fairly sure that this is quite unique to Nintendo. It doesn't apply to Sony nor Microsoft, at least not to the same degree.

Oh, and it's not to the degree of actually preventing me from buying/playing Nintendo games, it just makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong when I'm buying the game.

Around the Network
Pineapple said:
Games4Fun said:
Pineapple said:
Games4Fun said:

This is up there with the dumbest threads ever.

How so? I actually found a lot of the replies incredibly interesting. A fair bit of people are embarassed of doing something that there logically is no reason to be embarassed about. A vast amount of people play and enjoy Mario games - heck, it looks to be well over 1/4 people looking at the franchises' sales this gen. So why are we embarased about it? Lynx idea that it comes from Sony/Sega (and to an extent, others) marketing is intriguing. Even people who love Nintendo games have, by advertisements, been lead to believe that they shouldn't.

I'm pretty bloody amazed that I've actually been fooled by those advertisements. From a psychology viewpoint, it's incredibly interesting.

But sure, go ahead. Feel free to call it "one of the dumbest threads ever", because frankly, you'll just fall into the (surprisingly large) group of silly replies that I really should ignore.

This thread is also interesting on another level, as it nicely sums up the reasons I semi-stopped posting here.

Sorry I just dont get why anyone would ever be ashamed of buying a game that they really enjoy. Yea there is the marketing and the peer pressure from friends and stuff. I am not denying that, but if that is keeping somone from buying a video game I am a bit lost for words. Hell, I dont even know why it matters. If its a friend Id rather them like me for who I am, what I like etc. If I have to tip toe around silly things like video games they are not my friend at all.

I know! That's what makes it so interesting! I know absolutely all of that, yet it makes me feel embarassed. That's amazingly interesting. It's a flaw that I, and a fair bit of others, have. I'm also fairly sure that this is quite unique to Nintendo. It doesn't apply to Sony nor Microsoft, at least not to the same degree.

Oh, and it's not to the degree of actually preventing me from buying/playing Nintendo games, it just makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong when I'm buying the game.

Nothing personal, but you seem to read into this thread what you were looking for instead of what it actually says...

You say "A fair bit of people are embarassed of doing something that there logically is no reason to be embarassed about" and "I'm also fairly sure that this is quite unique to Nintendo", yet in this thread, as many (if not more) people said they were embarassed playing "mature" shooters or just any video games than people who said they felt embarassed to play Nintendo... 

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

heck no

I'll be 65 playing Nintendo Games :P

And the world refused to change. Can't wait to see our Grandchildren having the same threads in 2060

Around the Network

My first game I ever played was super mario world. I associate super mario titles with quality that have influenced the gaming world time and time again. When you look at it in the perspective that mario is a gaming giant, it takes away the 'kiddy' feeling. Pokemon is a different story though. Pokemon yellow was my dirty little secret at work for awhile, until a friend caught me. Sooo awkward.

why would you be ashamed at buying a huge franchise like Mario? everyone loves mario...

Hell no... and even though people in my country think it's kiddy, i for one dont. Stand up tall man :)

I am on a first-name basis with Gamestop managers in three states and have an open charge account at one of the independent stores in town.

So I have never been ashamed of playing video games.  I stopped at a Toys R Us with a blind date. I bought video games while on my honeymoon. 

The closest that I have ever being ashamed came ... I forgot what I was going to say.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Pineapple said:
Lynx said:

This feeling is unfortuately the maifistation of years of Sony (and before that, SEGA) marketing.  For how many years have we been bombarded by messages that Nitendo is kiddie, only children play Nintendo games, or that if you are a "big boy" your can play these other games that will give you affirmation about you being a tough, grown up who can handle "mature" games".

I am working on my M.A. in Psychology (research and analysis) and can spot some of these interesting tendencies that we funny creatures called humans are so prone to fall into.  In this instance, what is likely happening is the propaganda effect.  The "propaganda effect" is when reapeted exposures to a message, whether factual or erroneous,  leads individuals to believe the message more over time.  One can imagine easily that after years of advertizing that the desired effect has affected many people.

Thankfully, if you are aware of how some psychological processes happen you have a much better chance of not falling into erroneous thinking.

I actually think that's quite correct. I don't really have anything to say to that better than "well said", so well, uhm.. Well said!

this is my case.I stopped caring after 18 nearly 10  years ago.Free yourself from the ones missinformed, not only about your gaming prefferences but everything.If you enjoy collecting miniatures do it, its one of the steps toward feeling really happier overall.And the people who care about me, enjoy the same than I do.