By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is living in the past

the_bloodwalker said:
infamous23 said:

Well, my original argument was that Nintendo continues to make retreads of the same old games and that the games they do make continue to primarily be focused on all gamers and this hampers their ability to really be seen as any way broadening the artistic horizons of games.  If you cut out all the games in that list that aren't made by Nintendo, then take a look at Nintendo's E3 Conference from last week and you'll pretty much see that that is the case.

Sony's kicked off at least three or four brand new core series this gen and had many games rated E, T, and M,  How many brand new core series has Nintendo themselves put out there this gen and what is the percentage of the games they've released this year in E, T, and M rankings.  I think that 90% of their games would fall in the E category.

Nintendo only really goes with what they know will sell on their console:  multiple 2d platformers and the Wii series games.

At least Sony tries things as diverse as The Eye of Judgement, Flower, and Heavy Rain

You still don't get it.....

As Dave Halverson said, "Even if Nintendo is keeping gaming alive, so that it will be around in twenty years, that doesn't mean we have to like what they're doing now."

And what are they doing now?  Trying to cash in on the success of New Super Mario Wii by bringing out two 2d platformers in one year. 

They're continually catering to the casuals.  Another E3 another Wii series game.  But where's the new Earthbound game?

Continually pumping out Mario games with  Mario Sports Mix this time around.  But where's a new hardcore series from Nintendo featuring brand new characters and a hardcore adventure?  Nintendo hasn't made a new character as compelling as Kratos, Nico Bellic, or the boy from ICO in twenty years.

Around the Network
blaydcor said:
infamous23 said:
blaydcor said:

Metroid Prime, Metroid: Other M, Sin and Punishment: Star Succesor, Punch Out, both Zelda's, both Mario Galaxies, Xenoblade, The Last Story....

Yup, only Wii series games and 2D platformers. 

After all that experience with Metroid why not put Retro on something their system needs namely a new core ip instead of a Donkey Kong game and if it has to be a Donkey Kong game why not one in 3d?

Sin and Punishment is from Treasure, Mario Sports Jam makes the 6th Mario game on Wii in four years?  How come they have time to make 6 Marios on Wii but not one Mother game since 2005?

Xenoblade is from Monolith.  The Last Story is from Mistwalker.

Rare wanted to do DK Country. Miyamoto suggested they reinvent Donkey Kong; they eagerly said they'd revive DKC.

Nintendo is publishing Xeno and Last Story (at least one of them). Still pretty significant.

Hey, you know who else I'm sick of? Pixar. All their movies are so cartoony. AND immature. No blood sex or violence. They're shallow kids movies. Plus, they're just milking their franchises now--I mean, really....Toy Story 3? 

Rare and Retro are two different companies.  And the last Rare DKC game was 3d.  So, Retro studios developed their chops making the only core series on Gamecube and Wii from Nintendo for mature gamers to make E rated 2d platformers?

Well Up  was nominated for the Oscar last year.  And this is their only Toy Story movie in ten years.  Let's see Nintendo try that with Zelda, Mario, and the Wii Series games.

scottie said:

Trolololol!

Rol needs to produce so high quality threads ASAP or he is in danger of finding his fanbase moving on!

I am not competing with Rol in any way.  We both do our own thing, and I have the highest respect for him and his threads.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

infamous23 said:
blaydcor said:

Metroid Prime, Metroid: Other M, Sin and Punishment: Star Succesor, Punch Out, both Zelda's, both Mario Galaxies, Xenoblade, The Last Story....

After all that experience with Metroid why not put Retro on something their system needs namely a new core ip instead of a Donkey Kong game and if it has to be a Donkey Kong game why not one in 3d?

Sin and Punishment is from Treasure, Mario Sports Jam makes the 6th Mario game on Wii in four years?  How come they have time to make 6 Marios on Wii but not one Mother game since 2005?

I've done my best ot ignore this tiade throughout the topic, but Shigesato Itoi isn't itnerested in making a Mother 4. They can't make one without him. He's the whole reason the series works. There will never be a Mother 4 unless he changes his mind.  Trying to blame Nintendo for the whims of a man who doesn't work for them is ridiculous.

creating joke threads is living in the past. like who took this shit serious?

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
infamous23 said:
blaydcor said:

I've done my best ot ignore this tiade throughout the topic, but Shigesato Itoi isn't itnerested in making a Mother 4. They can't make one without him. He's the whole reason the series works. There will never be a Mother 4 unless he changes his mind.  Trying to blame Nintendo for the whims of a man who doesn't work for them is ridiculous.

Still, why does there have to be new Mario and new Wii series game announced at each new E3 and not a new core game with a brand new character that's as cool as Nathan Drake or Marcus Fenix?

Sony has put Uncharted, Infamous, Resistance,  Heavy Rain, Sorcery, Folklore, Heavenly Sword --many new core ips out there this gen.

infamous23 said:

Still, why does there have to be new Mario and new Wii series game announced at each new E3 and not a new core game with a brand new character that's as cool as Nathan Drake or Marcus Fenix?

Sony has put Uncharted, Infamous, Resistance,  Heavy Rain, Sorcery, Folklore, Heavenly Sword --many new core ips out there this gen.

God, just... just stop. You don't even try to know what you're talking about in reference to Nintendo.

You're confusing series with intellectual property. Mario and Mario Kart arre separate series, even if thhey both share the Mario moniker. Shit, 3D Mario and 2D Mario are different series, too, with inherently different mechanics and levels of appeal, the latter illustrated irrefutably by sales differences.

Secondly, I'm going to ask you what I asked another guy about Kirby Epic Yarn:

Are you telling me that if they took this very unique visual design and very unique tie-in to play mechanics that the visual design has, but then applied it to some new mascot, you wouldn't have a problem with the game? Does the freshness and uniqueness of the game matter less than the character you play as? How do you reconcile this view with a medium where every meaningful classification is determined by mechanics?

Lastly, you have no idea what kind of new IPs Nintendo has created this gen alone.

Posted by the fabulous MrT-Tar:

Well this is what I can recall of the top of my head for this generation:

Wii... Series

Brain Training

Nintendogs

Disaster:DoC

Captain Rainbow

Nintendo Touch Golf

Big Brain Acadamy

Art Acadamy

Soma Bringer

Endless Ocean

Another Code

Zangeki no Reinglev

Flingsmash

Xenoblade

Maboshi

Rock and Roll Climber

Bonsai Barber

Eco Shooter 530

Jam with the Band

Polarium

Elite Beat Agents

Electroplankton

Hotel Dusk

Style Boutique

Flipnote Studio

And this list is not definitive.

Nintendo has been responsible for more new IPs this gen than either of their competitors, unless yo uwant to pretend that 3rd Party IPs (like Heavy Rain) somehow count for eithe Sony or Microsoft.

//del

I understand the logic, but it is absurd unless you apply it to every game developer who creates game franchises.

The same criticism can be levied at Blizzard for making one too many expansion packs for the World of Warcraft in the process killing off beloved villains such as Kael'thas, Illidan and Arthas. The same can be said for the Call of Duty and Battlefield series whose sequels are the same gameplay just with updated graphics and a different time frame. The same can be said for the Halo series. The same can be said for the Final Fantasy series which for whatever reason, nostalgia mostly, keeps an outdated turn-based combat system.

Game developers whether they are Nintendo or not desire to create cash cows through neverending game franchises.

Khuutra said:
infamous23 said:

God, just... just stop. You don't even try to know what you're talking about in reference to Nintendo.

You're confusing series with intellectual property. Mario and Mario Kart arre separate series, even if thhey both share the Mario moniker. Shit, 3D Mario and 2D Mario are different series, too, with inherently different mechanics and levels of appeal, the latter illustrated irrefutably by sales differences.

Secondly, I'm going to ask you what I asked another guy about Kirby Epic Yarn:

Are you telling me that if they took this very unique visual design and very unique tie-in to play mechanics that the visual design has, but then applied it to some new mascot, you wouldn't have a problem with the game? Does the freshness and uniqueness of the game matter less than the character you play as? How do you reconcile this view with a medium where every meaningful classification is determined by mechanics?

Lastly, you have no idea what kind of new IPs Nintendo has created this gen alone.

Posted by the fabulous MrT-Tar:

Well this is what I can recall of the top of my head for this generation:

Wii... Series

Brain Training

Nintendogs

Disaster:DoC

Captain Rainbow

Nintendo Touch Golf

Big Brain Acadamy

Art Acadamy

Soma Bringer

Endless Ocean

Another Code

Zangeki no Reinglev

Flingsmash

Xenoblade

Maboshi

Rock and Roll Climber

Bonsai Barber

Eco Shooter 530

Jam with the Band

Polarium

Elite Beat Agents

Electroplankton

Hotel Dusk

Style Boutique

Flipnote Studio

And this list is not definitive.

Nintendo has been responsible for more new IPs this gen than either of their competitors, unless yo uwant to pretend that 3rd Party IPs (like Heavy Rain) somehow count for eithe Sony or Microsoft.

The only new ips that Nintendo has put out have been Wii Sports and its sequel, Wii Fit and its sequel, Wii Play, Wii Music, and now Wii Party all games aimed squarely at the casuals that don't require any depth as far as storytelling go and that really don't seek to expand gaming as an art form in any way the same thing with Flipnote Studio and the Brain games.

Yeah, I'd be critical of a new 2d game like Epic Yarn featuring a totally new character because it would obviously be an attempt to give gamers another game that they will buy in such numbers as New Super Mario Wii instead of trying to develop a riskier new ip.

If Mario is in it, it's still a Mario game and they've put countless Mario games in all those genres across all of their previous consoles and they've been bringing out one or two a year on Wii.  Instead of trying a new Mario Kart why don't they try to develop their own more complex car game so gamers won't have to buy a 360 or ps3 to get something with the depth of Forza or GT5?

You don't see Sony just putting out sequel after sequel featuring  Jak, Crash, Spyro, Ratchet, or Sly this gen.  Each studio that made those games has tried their hand at something new and for them fresh.