By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is living in the past

infamous23 said:

The only new ips that Nintendo has put out have been Wii Sports and its sequel, Wii Fit and its sequel, Wii Play, Wii Music, and now Wii Party all games aimed squarely at the casuals that don't require any depth as far as storytelling go and that really don't seek to expand gaming as an art form in any way the same thing with Flipnote Studio and the Brain games.

So you ignore the entire list of new IPs in order to spout off what is literally nonsense. You are either intentionally wrong (which is to say you are lying) or you're unable to see inside of quote boxes that I make. In either case I'm done; you've faileed to acknowledge points that run contrary to yours and I will not participate in this charade.

I would kindly ask everyone else not to, either; I would prefer not to have to scroll past more of this.

Around the Network
oldschoolfool said:

I think your half way joking. I have a wii,so does that mean I'm living in the past? lol

In that case, I think you're only half right.  :)

ramuji
www.ramuji.com
Nintendo Network ID: ramuji
Wii Friend Code: 8543-1141-9403-8457
3DS Friend Code: 1633-4130-0140
PS3 ID: ramuji_69

Khuutra said:
infamous23 said:

The only new ips that Nintendo has put out have been Wii Sports and its sequel, Wii Fit and its sequel, Wii Play, Wii Music, and now Wii Party all games aimed squarely at the casuals that don't require any depth as far as storytelling go and that really don't seek to expand gaming as an art form in any way the same thing with Flipnote Studio and the Brain games.

So you ignore the entire list of new IPs in order to spout off what is literally nonsense. You are either intentionally wrong (which is to say you are lying) or you're unable to see inside of quote boxes that I make. In either case I'm done; you've faileed to acknowledge points that run contrary to yours and I will not participate in this charade.

I would kindly ask everyone else not to, either; I would prefer not to have to scroll past more of this.

Khuutra, he's just blindly hammering away with his one argument until he's thoroughly embarassed by whoever he's talking to.  Then, he moves on to the next guy.  He's completely ignored me since I shut him down last page. ;)

Lol, this was a good read.

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

Khuutra said:
infamous23 said:

Sorry, but I will take a longer look at your list.

Wii... Series -- All Casual.  The bulk of what Nintendo publishes on Wii.

Brain Training -- Casual

Nintendogs -- Casual

Disaster:DoC  -- An attempt at a core game but it was never released in the US. 

Captain Rainbow -- Never released in US 

Nintendo Touch Golf -- Sports / Casual

Big Brain Acadamy -- Casual

Art Acadamy -- Casual

Soma Bringer -- Supposed to be a great game, but never released outside of Japan

Endless Ocean -- Casual 72 and 76 as Metacritic scores

Another Code Metacritic score of 66

Zangeki no Reinglev -- No American release date announced

Flingsmash -- sounds like a casual in its wikipedia entry

Xenoblade -- It was the #1 game in Japan last week.  Maybe it's good.  Still not an internally developed Nintendo game.

Maboshi -- puzzle game.  probably not much of a story there.

Rock and Roll Climber  Metacritic of 72

Bonsai Barber -- it has ratings of 3 and everyone

Eco Shooter 530 -- Metacritic score of 56

Jam with the Band -- Music Game never released in the US

Polarium -- simple puzzle game

Elite Beat Agents -- respected title still the first game in the series which was supposed to be the best one was never released in the US

Electroplankton --Kind of like PS3's Flow

Hotel Dusk --  graphic adventure.  At least it's a core game unlike almost everything else on this list.

Style Boutique -- Casual art game

Flipnote Studio -- Casual art game

I only found a handful of games in that list that in any way push Nintendo out of their casual games for everybody mode.

And someone could come up with a list just as big for PS3 or 360 if you want to count xbla or psn games full of just as many titles with a far greater porportion of them being core games with more substance than simply solving puzzles.

Around the Network

bwahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha! The OP to this thread is hilarious; it's like someone saying that Nessie is sending signals to the president's brain to put stuff in peanut butter to control our minds.

-Catches breath- Anyway, yes, Nintendo does use their old IPs a LOT but they are open to doing hugely innovative or radical things with them like Galaxy's planetoids, Epic Yarn's fascinating fabric aesthetic, or just in terms of hardware with the Wii and now the 3DS. Plus let's face it, Mario, Kirby, and a lot of other mascots Nintendo has will outlast tons of other game protagonists because of their family-friendliness

@infamous23

I don't want to quote your long post because long quotes are annoying, even on this site.

Your posts show the lack of objetivity, you mention "variety", but you do not look at the big picture. It's well known that Metratritic FAILS when it comes to Wii games. Many games with low score sell a lot more than many highly acclaimed games of the HD platforms.

What's wrong with Nintendo with making games for evryone? New super Mario Brothers Wii sold over 14 million and Mario Kart Wii sold over 22 million and both still sell incredibly good. Other games companies offered a similar approached and games like Just Dance, Carnival games sell really damn well. The formula has worked for them and they rather have third party focus on the smaller segments.

Sony and Microsoft offer the games "variety" that you like, you point that obvious in your post. But denying the variety of Wii is just plain stupidity and blindness to see what you want to see and not the reality.

All three consoles offer "variety". This is why there are gamers that own more than one system because no system is the absolute conteiner of content. Mentioning that one platform has better "variety" that others is SUBJECTIVE, because every gamer have different tastes in games.

As a Nintendo gamer, I say that Nintendo variety is what interest me the most and has me hooked. But I can't deny that the other platforms have a nice collection of games that Wii will never have and would love to play, so I can't downplay the other platforms.

Note: i put "variety" in quotation, because you, my friend, don't know what "variety" means

PS, my English is not my native so I make lots of grammar mistakes. So in before Idiotic grammar attacks

the_bloodwalker said:

@infamous23

PS, my English is not my native so I make lots of grammar mistakes. So in before Idiotic grammar attacks

@ Infamous23.

May i ask why you chose to stick the word "Casual" next to the majority of the games in that list? As if to somehow dismiss the overall quality and appeal of these games? Can you tell me what casual and core mean? I'm not sure how you managed to label the majority of them as casual but pinned Hotel Dusk as a core game. Another question, could you elaborate on Disaster: Day of Crisis, because this sentence "An attempt at a core game but it was never released in the US." implies something that otherwise makes absolutely no sense. One last thing, why are you using these naive and otherwise absurd labels to divert from the fact that they are all new IP's?

How technical is your game?

Well,  If we want to see things from the OP's point of view, Square Enix should stop making Final Fantasy games or Dragon quests since well "they are from the past", why is Sony trying to bring back Twisted Metal??? Metal Gear Solid Franchise is getting quite old as well, Please Capcom!!!!! stop making Street Fighter games and Resident evil they are over 15-20 year old franchises, while we are at it, lets tell the entire comic industry to stop publishing Superman, Batman, Spiderman and Xmen books and let's bash that Damn Hollywood for living in the past and make movies based on those characters.

Look people as much as some hate to admit Nintendo has not one BUT MANY of what the entire industry is dying for... HOUSEHOLD NAMES, they do what they are good at, you think Sony wouldn't have kept Crash Bandicoot if It's games didn't start sucking bad, If Microsoft stays in the video game industry you think we won't see a new Halo 20 years from now?, It's just good business. as long as the games are fun and ENTERTAIN who cares how old they are. I mean dude this Post is as stupid as telling Ford and Chevy that they live in the past for making Mustangs and Camaros. guys really??????