By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo waves the white flag at E3 2010

Articles like that appear after every E3, yet Nintendo and Wii seems to be doing fine.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
infamous23 said:

Most likely (based on evidence from the pricing of their current handhelds) 3DS could carry a $250 to $300 price tag at launch with $50 games (as development for the 3d games would cost more than for normal ds games).

By the time it launches at this price point, Sony could have a model of PS3 out for $199 and a more powerful handheld on the way for roughly the same price as 3ds for the holidays (thinking that the 3DS is adopting technology early into its design while Sony is waiting for some of the same tech to come down in price before incorporating it into their next handheld).

I don't think things are so cut and dried as a lot of Nintendo fans wish for  them to be at the moment.

so you don't expect the old DS' to be dropped in price for the 3DS to sit at the $200 price.

and whats the best way to laugh really loud on the internet to the $200 PS3.  How many years have we been getting people saying "when the PS3 is at $200"   Really when will you get old of saying htat.

So based on past history of Nintendo always having a reasonable price range and wanting to cator to all people (which means low price) they are going to have an expensive 3DS, and then in a year, xmas 2011 the PSP2 is going to be coming out that trumps 3DS in all and at same price, oh and PS3 is now $200 of course.  Great annalysis, you know on how sony hasn't even hinted at new psp, down to $200 is a lot, and of course the whole fact that when has sony released something not expensive?

Nintendo hasn't had a reasonable price on their handhelds lately.  The DS Lite should have been dropped down to $99 when DSI was launched.

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Killiana1a said:

Alright, first off, Nintendo is to Japan what GM, Ford, and Chrysler are to the United States. An ingrained institution who creates culture that is irrevocably tied to culture. Hell, they even have Japanese school buses for kindergartners that look like a Yoshi float at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. So if Japan defaults, you can expect Nintendo to be making some hard decisions, which will have a definite affect on the quality of their games.

As for Japanese games selling more than Western ones, I don't buy it one bit at all . Red Dead Redemption has shipped more units than Super Mario Galaxy 2. No Japanese game in 2009/2010 has touched the numbers that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 reached in such a short time. Mass Effect and Fable sell comparable numbers to any new Final Fantasy game. JRPGS with the exception of Final Fantasy is a niche genre with a quarter of the appeal that WRPGs such as Diablo have in the US.

The only numbers you can cite are the casual Wii games. Yes Wii Sports has sold more than any other game of this current generation, but how long has it been out?

Nintendo will continue to dominate the casual market and I am proud they are doing it.

As for the future, only time will tell. If the 3DS is priced above $200, then I see it having a hard time topping the DS due to it being a one trick pony for gaming. I know myself and a lot of people who would love a Nintendo handheld, but look at what Apple is doing and what the Sony PSP can do and think, why can't Nintendo release a gaming device that has cell phone and Internet capabilities?

o_O You know there are online games on the DS, with a web browser cart for normal DS systems and a built in one with the DSi.  Add in the fact that the 3DS has been announced to have some major film companies releasing their 3D movies on the system that will sport an online system that is always online for every game ala PS3 and 360.

As for things like cell phones, that's their purpose, making calls, with gaming being a side note.  A game company making a game console with cell phone capabilities would be largely the same issue, a game console with the cell phone part being a side note, likely meaning it would be a SHITTY PHONE like the Nokia N-Gage that not only sold like crap but was a crappy cell phone on top of it.

As for the sales bit Red Dead is being pushed so hard cause Rockstar doesn't want to be left in the poor house after how much money they poured into the project and yet despite all their struggling the possibility of breaking even is likely to be nil if the reported budget is correct.  As for Modern Warfare it was marketed like no other game in history yet still on a single console sales comparison was outsold by a 2D Mario game that reviewers stated lacked "real effort", was pushed not even a fraction as much, and no where near the budget... hrm I wonder which model works better especially when you factor in every game that has tried to be a modern warfare and lost like Bionic Commando or Dantes Inferno 

I was reading this and I just had to note, Red Dead Redemption is receving more promotion than I have seen for any title in my entire life. I swear to you. I was in Brooklyn, NY meeting some family and there were RDR ads on the side of buses, billboards, every Gamestop has one in the window in my city and in Brooklyn; the Blockbuster near me has one on the outside; there are commercials for it running on so many channels- I have seen it dozens of times. Then there are online banners and youtube promotions I mean they must've literally spent a TON advertising this thing. I see it everywhere.

Modern Warfare? LOL The $200 million dollar ad campaign helps a lot. Black Ops has been promoted since February. There was an ad for it during the SUPERBOWL (just like Mass Effect 2's 1 minute SB commercial). Black Ops is getting commercials now 5 months before release, and a friggin MAP PACK for Modern Warfare 2 is getting commercials, along with 2 separate commercials just promoting the sales the game has attained ("Everyone is doing it....") It is beyond ridiculous.

As for the 3DS being a "one trick pony".....no comment. You cannot conduct a conversation with a person that far gone.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Lolcislaw said:

Articles like that appear after every E3, yet Nintendo and Wii seems to be doing fine.

this one's a joke, though. you should see some of the other things this guy (A Viewtiful Mind) has to offer.

Yes you can conduct a conversation with me. If Nintendo is serious on this Blue Ocean business strategy, then they would realize they could retain, capture new, and steal PSP consumers by offering cell phone services with a hand held. If you want to consistently get new consumers, then you should market a product that the hardcore gamer's mother and little sister would want to buy. You do this through a hand held which allows them to use it as their primary cell phone along with the ability to play Tetris, FarmVille, or some other wildly popular game secondarily.

We all know Nintendo is about gaming first and is slowly eating away at both Microsoft and Sony with core franchises such as Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. What Nintendo has to worry about in the near future is Apple making a big push into the hand held market.

Apple has been in the position Nintendo was in during the mid 2000s where you are the underdog against big competitors, with the only way to gain a foothold is to switch the game up and market products the established top dogs and their industry lackeys view as gimmicks or great ideas not backed up by a history of excellence.

Apple's history of being  a counter-culture icon and red headed step child of the industry affords Apple a unique perspective on gaining a foothold in new markets and chipping away at the markets of the established top dogs. This alone should make Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo take Apple seriously.

Around the Network
Killiana1a said:

Yes you can conduct a conversation with me. If Nintendo is serious on this Blue Ocean business strategy, then they would realize they could retain, capture new, and steal PSP consumers by offering cell phone services with a hand held. If you want to consistently get new consumers, then you should market a product that the hardcore gamer's mother and little sister would want to buy. You do this through a hand held which allows them to use it as their primary cell phone along with the ability to play Tetris, FarmVille, or some other wildly popular game secondarily.

We all know Nintendo is about gaming first and is slowly eating away at both Microsoft and Sony with core franchises such as Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. What Nintendo has to worry about in the near future is Apple making a big push into the hand held market.

Apple has been in the position Nintendo was in during the mid 2000s where you are the underdog against big competitors, with the only way to gain a foothold is to switch the game up and market products the established top dogs and their industry lackeys view as gimmicks or great ideas not backed up by a history of excellence.

Apple's history of being  a counter-culture icon and red headed step child of the industry affords Apple a unique perspective on gaining a foothold in new markets and chipping away at the markets of the established top dogs. This alone should make Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo take Apple seriously.

That actually is a reasonable thing you stated, but it really depends on how drastically different the consumer market is in the States, in the past gaming has been pushed on the cell phone market with a general "we don't care" from consumers, which is why games on cell phones have generally been really low budget and very simplistic in nature.  

In Japan however mobile phone gaming actually has a serious business going, but that still hasn't stopped Nintendo from pushing the DS to places the PS2 didn't even reach.

As of right now Apple has yet to have a killer app or make a phone conductive for more serious gaming development, right now it's a lot of ports, still low budget titles, or indie games.  Part of it has to to with the lack of freedom, only having a touchpad to work with and a gyro isn't very open to making your traditional titles, the ones that get around this use the touchpad for your buttons.

What I hope if they really want to push it is to make a phone that slides up to reveal a few buttons a D pad and maybe an analog control of some sort, that would allow for more familiar ground developers. 

But that goes back to my point before, Apple while trying to push some games has made a product that is good for a phone but not that great for a gaming platform, if Nintendo started venturing into the cell phone market it means they'll likely design a half-assed cell phone and people will see it as something like a N-Gage.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

IMVHO, cellphone gaming, though, more than "stealing" gamers from portables, that actually are fastly growing on DS and slowly growing on PSP too, occupies a possible direction for their expansion, preventing them from getting all the potential gamers there. Note that multifunction cellphones won't ever conquer the majority of cellphone users for at least two reasons: price, as they often cost more than the sum of the devices they should replace and  often working worse than them too, and the mere fact that nonessential functions eat battery charge and most people don't want to risk finding their phone run-down should they ever really need it for vital reasons. It must also be said, though, that for those that would like a gaming phone, having access to the games library of a true portable console could be a bonus attractive enough to determine the choice of the model to purchase.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

noname2200 said:

This may be great for Nintendo fans, but certainly not for those gamers who don’t like Nintendo’s games. On a related note, the same holds true for the 3DS and titles like Kid Icarus. At least Nintendo this time tried to get third parties on board to get some of the more hardcore stuff like Metal Gear Solid, but honestly you can’t help but think how much better such games could be on a non-Nintendo platform. 

This guy is just begging for someone to punch him in the face.  

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Well, I don't doubt that Zelda will be EAD's last hurrah on Wii (say hello to Pikmin 3DS and Wii Vitality HD), but Nintendo will still have plenty of Wii content from their table of external developers and 3rd party partners.  The Last Story and Dragon Quest X come to mind...

The one thing I like about post-E3 is that, besides the continuing fanboy meltdowns, the "journalists" come out of the woodwork to paint all kinds of bullshit pictures of the event, desperately putting their own spin on what happened. This is right up there with Anti-Wii Week when NPD posts amazing Wii numbers and "journalists" run to the nearest keyboad to write a furious editorial about how Wii is doomed and irrelevant.

Some people never learn.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"