By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo waves the white flag at E3 2010

Brainslug said:

You posted this before I could ... but I [edit:  resized] it so people can actually see it!  Ha. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
Brainslug said:

You posted this before I could ... but I [edit:  resized] it so people can actually see it!  Ha. 

THAT is the FUNNIEST SHITE I've seen today. LMFAO  I'll PAY to see Reggie go off like this at an E3 event.

Consoles owned: NES, N64, PS1, GC, PS2, Wii.

Currently playing...

On the idea of Nintendo focusing less attention on the Wii for the DS...

What else is new?

Seriously, have you seen Nintendo's contributions to the Wii this generation, every Nintendo fan should know that the company has put more emphasis in its protable development teams then they have done for the Wii ones. Outside of Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Brawl and NSMBWii, was there a Nintendo first party game that felt like a complete product on par with their previous titles from other generations?

The casual games are fine and polished but the drop in console quality of Nintendo's in house development should be easy to spot. Although that alone isn't really raising the white flag in the console race.

"Naturally the PlayStation Portable poses a major threat to Nintendo’s core market."

The DS is due to become the best selling gaming system ever by the end of the year. The PSP is on the bottom of the hardware charts, and only occasionally has a title in the weekly top ten. The best selling PSP titles so far this year, MGS: Peace Walker, and Kingdom Hearts, have each sold less than the seven leading DS games this year: Pokemon HG/SS, DQ6, NSMB, DQM:J2, Mario Kart DS, Tomodatchi Collection, and Spirit Tracks. Kingdom Hearts is a Japan exclusive, but so are the Dragon Quests and Tomodatchi.

In total, the DS has sold over 39 million units of software this year, while the PSP has sold a bit over 13 million. The DS itself has sold over 7 million, while the PSP is under 3 million. Last time I checked, a system that sells a third as many games is not a major threat.

I could go on to criticize the rest of your post, but is it really worth the effort?

Love and tolerate.

He has a couple good points, but overall pretty disagreeable.

I think that doing a Wii HD would help Nintendo in the long run. Wii isn't losing sales yet but once PS3 has move in full swing and MS has Kintect out then I think Wii will start to lose market share (slowly) if they can't offer anything unique besides Nintendo games.

Around the Network
wiifan75 said:
O-D-C said:

was this writer even at E3? Nintendo had swagger, the lines for Zelda and 3DS were hours long, Kirby had a 40 minute wait too. I kinda felt bad for Sony who was right beside the Nintendo booth and had to ask random people to come play Move game and they were look nah Im going to go see this (Nintendo). Nintendo won E3 hands on, other companies were asking me what i thought of Zelda or the 3DS , Nintendo's got its swagger back and won E3 and if anyone tells u otherwise their wrong.

I would absolutely love to see where proof is of this.  It would be great to see where you got this from.  I'm a nintendo fan but don't see this as happening.

O-D-C was apart of the E3 crew man lol I was supposed to be there haha but I saw some videos of the lines they really do back up his claims just check out some of the gametrailers videos of people pouring into the show floor all to line up for 3DS

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

I think it's a parody. It's all wrong. ALL wrong, every single word. 

Alright, first off, Nintendo is to Japan what GM, Ford, and Chrysler are to the United States. An ingrained institution who creates culture that is irrevocably tied to culture. Hell, they even have Japanese school buses for kindergartners that look like a Yoshi float at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. So if Japan defaults, you can expect Nintendo to be making some hard decisions, which will have a definite affect on the quality of their games.

As for Japanese games selling more than Western ones, I don't buy it one bit at all . Red Dead Redemption has shipped more units than Super Mario Galaxy 2. No Japanese game in 2009/2010 has touched the numbers that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 reached in such a short time. Mass Effect and Fable sell comparable numbers to any new Final Fantasy game. JRPGS with the exception of Final Fantasy is a niche genre with a quarter of the appeal that WRPGs such as Diablo have in the US.

The only numbers you can cite are the casual Wii games. Yes Wii Sports has sold more than any other game of this current generation, but how long has it been out?

Nintendo will continue to dominate the casual market and I am proud they are doing it.

As for the future, only time will tell. If the 3DS is priced above $200, then I see it having a hard time topping the DS due to it being a one trick pony for gaming. I know myself and a lot of people who would love a Nintendo handheld, but look at what Apple is doing and what the Sony PSP can do and think, why can't Nintendo release a gaming device that has cell phone and Internet capabilities?

MaxwellGT2000 said:
wiifan75 said:
O-D-C said:

was this writer even at E3? Nintendo had swagger, the lines for Zelda and 3DS were hours long, Kirby had a 40 minute wait too. I kinda felt bad for Sony who was right beside the Nintendo booth and had to ask random people to come play Move game and they were look nah Im going to go see this (Nintendo). Nintendo won E3 hands on, other companies were asking me what i thought of Zelda or the 3DS , Nintendo's got its swagger back and won E3 and if anyone tells u otherwise their wrong.

I would absolutely love to see where proof is of this.  It would be great to see where you got this from.  I'm a nintendo fan but don't see this as happening.

O-D-C was apart of the E3 crew man lol I was supposed to be there haha but I saw some videos of the lines they really do back up his claims just check out some of the gametrailers videos of people pouring into the show floor all to line up for 3DS

Thanks for the heads up on this.  I saw a post from him about being there and commented on that and then snapped about this.  He was the WITNESS.  So I lay down my Zelda sword to him.  He speaks true. lol

Consoles owned: NES, N64, PS1, GC, PS2, Wii.

Currently playing...

Killiana1a said:

Alright, first off, Nintendo is to Japan what GM, Ford, and Chrysler are to the United States. An ingrained institution who creates culture that is irrevocably tied to culture. Hell, they even have Japanese school buses for kindergartners that look like a Yoshi float at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. So if Japan defaults, you can expect Nintendo to be making some hard decisions, which will have a definite affect on the quality of their games.

As for Japanese games selling more than Western ones, I don't buy it one bit at all . Red Dead Redemption has shipped more units than Super Mario Galaxy 2. No Japanese game in 2009/2010 has touched the numbers that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 reached in such a short time. Mass Effect and Fable sell comparable numbers to any new Final Fantasy game. JRPGS with the exception of Final Fantasy is a niche genre with a quarter of the appeal that WRPGs such as Diablo have in the US.

The only numbers you can cite are the casual Wii games. Yes Wii Sports has sold more than any other game of this current generation, but how long has it been out?

Nintendo will continue to dominate the casual market and I am proud they are doing it.

As for the future, only time will tell. If the 3DS is priced above $200, then I see it having a hard time topping the DS due to it being a one trick pony for gaming. I know myself and a lot of people who would love a Nintendo handheld, but look at what Apple is doing and what the Sony PSP can do and think, why can't Nintendo release a gaming device that has cell phone and Internet capabilities?

o_O You know there are online games on the DS, with a web browser cart for normal DS systems and a built in one with the DSi.  Add in the fact that the 3DS has been announced to have some major film companies releasing their 3D movies on the system that will sport an online system that is always online for every game ala PS3 and 360.

As for things like cell phones, that's their purpose, making calls, with gaming being a side note.  A game company making a game console with cell phone capabilities would be largely the same issue, a game console with the cell phone part being a side note, likely meaning it would be a SHITTY PHONE like the Nokia N-Gage that not only sold like crap but was a crappy cell phone on top of it.

As for the sales bit Red Dead is being pushed so hard cause Rockstar doesn't want to be left in the poor house after how much money they poured into the project and yet despite all their struggling the possibility of breaking even is likely to be nil if the reported budget is correct.  As for Modern Warfare it was marketed like no other game in history yet still on a single console sales comparison was outsold by a 2D Mario game that reviewers stated lacked "real effort", was pushed not even a fraction as much, and no where near the budget... hrm I wonder which model works better especially when you factor in every game that has tried to be a modern warfare and lost like Bionic Commando or Dantes Inferno 

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000