By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo waves the white flag at E3 2010

pariz said:
Fumanchu said:
exukvera said:

Actually Sony and Microsoft should lower their heads to Nintendo and thank for their mercy.

The only thing that prevented the Wii from reigning supreme atop the seventh generation instead of just grabbing half of the pie like it did resides in the single fact that the Wii is not HD.

How would the PS3/360 fare against a Wii hosting titles like GTA IV, Bioshock, FF XIII, Fallout 3, Oblivion, etc with similar graphics and the Wii remote to boot?

The HD duo have some damn good exclusives, but could do little to prevent the Wii from reaching a supremacy similar to the PS1/PS2 times or even bigger.

Fortunately for them The big N won't come with a Wii sucessor until having a well established 3DS and it shouldn´t happen untill the end of 2011 at least, giving some time for the PS Move and Kinect to shine, but it won't be long before the Eighth Generation begins and the Arms Race start all over again.

What if scenario's are always a selective perspective - likewise you could say Nintendo is thanking Sony and MS for not releasing motion controls at the start of the generation.

Man, they didn't have the BALLS to do it. They do it now that they know there is a huge market out there.

And don't come to me with the argument "Nintendo didn't have the balls to go HD". They were the only ones who didn't do it when "the market was pushing in another direction". Once again, they had the BALLS to take a huge risk and chose to be on the fence with a technology that was about to become obsolete, patiently waiting for the momentum.

I'm not arguing that at all, merely that there's always more than one way to look at it.  For instance, you could say that wasn't an issue of 'BALLS' as you so eloquently put it.  Nintendo was/is going up against two corporate giants with other successful businesses that are prepared to take huge losses to get the most advanced hardware on the market.  Nintendo's sole business is gaming and it would have been a bigger risk for them to take a leaf out of their books.  They definitely played to their strengths and turned this whole generation on their heads, to which you can only congratulate them.

Around the Network
Fumanchu said:
pariz said:
Fumanchu said:
exukvera said:

Actually Sony and Microsoft should lower their heads to Nintendo and thank for their mercy.

The only thing that prevented the Wii from reigning supreme atop the seventh generation instead of just grabbing half of the pie like it did resides in the single fact that the Wii is not HD.

How would the PS3/360 fare against a Wii hosting titles like GTA IV, Bioshock, FF XIII, Fallout 3, Oblivion, etc with similar graphics and the Wii remote to boot?

The HD duo have some damn good exclusives, but could do little to prevent the Wii from reaching a supremacy similar to the PS1/PS2 times or even bigger.

Fortunately for them The big N won't come with a Wii sucessor until having a well established 3DS and it shouldn´t happen untill the end of 2011 at least, giving some time for the PS Move and Kinect to shine, but it won't be long before the Eighth Generation begins and the Arms Race start all over again.

What if scenario's are always a selective perspective - likewise you could say Nintendo is thanking Sony and MS for not releasing motion controls at the start of the generation.

Man, they didn't have the BALLS to do it. They do it now that they know there is a huge market out there.

And don't come to me with the argument "Nintendo didn't have the balls to go HD". They were the only ones who didn't do it when "the market was pushing in another direction". Once again, they had the BALLS to take a huge risk and chose to be on the fence with a technology that was about to become obsolete, patiently waiting for the momentum.

I'm not arguing that at all, merely that there's always more than one way to look at it.  For instance, you could say that wasn't an issue of 'BALLS' as you so eloquently put it.  Nintendo was/is going up against two corporate giants with other successful businesses that are prepared to take huge losses to get the most advanced hardware on the market.  Nintendo's sole business is gaming and it would have been a bigger risk for them to take a leaf out of their books.  They definitely played to their strengths and turned this whole generation on their heads, to which you can only congratulate them.

Agreed and laughed at the word eloquently.
:P

In order to wave the white flag, they would have had to have announced a new console.  That would have told everyone that "hey, we know we can't compete with Sony and MS with Wii now that they will have motion, so here is our new system".

Nintendo did the opposite by not announcing a new home console.  They stood their ground and responded to the challenge by putting out more content for the Wii.

That article was like a Rol post, only less funny.

Pixel Art can be fun.

It was actually easy to see that this guy was joking, without even bothering to check the original article. At least that's what it seemed to me.

I mean, at the beginning he seems to have a point but it all falls apart when he starts suggesting that Nintendo doesn't know what it's doing based on the style of the recently announced Kirby game. At that point, I got the feeling it was a joke, but I knew for sure it was one when he basically started filling a Wii Bingo board on his later paragraphs.

Nevertheless, the Kirby joke and the comic strip about the E3s this year earlier in the topic made my day hahaha.

Around the Network
Fumanchu said:
pariz said:
Fumanchu said:
exukvera said:

Good Point!

It took years for the PS3/360 to become profitable. They only could cope with those humongous losses because they have other cows to milk. However the systems they worked so hard to put into market are becoming obsolete to the point that some developes claim that the 3DS's power is almost on their level. It only needs for next Nintendo console to be announced, and they must choose between to launch systems with similar power to it, or to spend some more years in the red, with the risk of things turning even worse for them if Nintendo manages to pull another smart move.

Fumanchu said:
pariz said:
Fumanchu said:
exukvera said:

Good Point!

It took years for the PS3/360 to become profitable. They only could cope with those humongous losses because they have other%2

RolStoppable said:
Christian973 said:

Nintendo is always doomed with everything they do. Tell me something i don't know please.

In Austria there is a small village called Fucking.

Ok, I had to google this just to find out for myself and behold there is a town called Fucking in Austria.  Now that's good stuff!

O-D-C said:

was this writer even at E3? Nintendo had swagger, the lines for Zelda and 3DS were hours long, Kirby had a 40 minute wait too. I kinda felt bad for Sony who was right beside the Nintendo booth and had to ask random people to come play Move game and they were look nah Im going to go see this (Nintendo). Nintendo won E3 hands on, other companies were asking me what i thought of Zelda or the 3DS , Nintendo's got its swagger back and won E3 and if anyone tells u otherwise their wrong.

I would absolutely love to see where proof is of this.  It would be great to see where you got this from.  I'm a nintendo fan but don't see this as happening.

Consoles owned: NES, N64, PS1, GC, PS2, Wii.

Currently playing...

Shadowfest3 said:
RolStoppable said:
Christian973 said:

Nintendo is always doomed with everything they do. Tell me something i don't know please.

In Austria there is a small village called Fucking.

Ok, I had to google this just to find out for myself and behold there is a town called Fucking in Austria.  Now that's good stuff!

I'm a wikipedia man

"The Germans all want to see Mozart's house in Salzburg, the Americans want to see where The Sound of Musicwas filmed. The Japanese want Hitler's birthplace in Braunau. But for the British, it's all about Fucking."

Too true, wikipedia. Too true