By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Considering 3D For Wii Successor!

Iwata waiting for 3D adoption rate to reach 30%.

3D is the hot topic at this year's E3, and Nintendo is leading the conversation thanks to the 3DS. But how does Nintendo feel about 3D in the console space.

Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata gave some hints in an interview that appeared in today's Nihon Keizai Shimbun. The paper asked Iwata if Nintendo was planning on making Wii 3D compatible.

Responded Iwata: "If you display a 3D image, the image quality becomes extremely bad, so we'd probably do it with the next system. We're thinking that the timing should be once the 3D television adoption rates crosses the 30% mark. We're looking at the adoption trends."

It looks like, for the time being, Nintendo's 3D plans concern portable gaming only.

The paper also asked Iwata a few questions about the 3DS and 3D gaming in general.

Asked if Nintendo considered the "3D boom" when coming up with 3DS, Iwata said, referring to Virtual Boy, "Absolutely not. Nintendo had an eye the charms of immersive 3D for games and released a 3D game machine 15 years ago, but the technology was not ready. After that, we looked for a chance, and decided two years back that we finally had the technology and parts to make a satisfying product."

So what's the point of switching to 3D? Asked for the goal of making the 3D switch, Iwata said, "In 3D, it's easier to get a sense for position. In a game where the stages extend into the screen, it's surprisingly easier to control [compared to non 3D]. This is functionality for making games more pleasant to play, not just for show."

Iwata seems to be a big supporter of 3D, as he also said "It allows us to realize images that are close to what you see in your daily life. In the future, 3D will become the mainstream of gaming."

Source Andriasaang

Around the Network

This video is related to what Iwata is discussing. I'll also say the next Wii will probably be a powerhouse if it's 3D ready.

3D is the next big step in gaming, bigger than "HD" ever was.

I hope I can afford a 3D TV soon, thats a big barrier on the console side and the uncomfortable goggles of course.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

As I said in the news post, "We're thinking that the timing should be once the 3D television adoption rates crosses the 30% mark. " Completely rules out the possibility of 3D in the Wii's successor, and thus the thread title is misleading

scottie said:

As I said in the news post, "We're thinking that the timing should be once the 3D television adoption rates crosses the 30% mark. " Completely rules out the possibility of 3D in the Wii's successor, and thus the thread title is misleading

Couldn't it still be added through a firmware update much like Sony has done?

Around the Network

So is Nintendo also heading towards it's doom like Sony now when we are talking 3D? Or did 3D suddenly became the real deal now that Nintendo says so? Let's see those hypocrites now.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

aragod said:

So is Nintendo also heading towards it's doom like Sony now when we are talking 3D? Or did 3D suddenly became the real deal now that Nintendo says so? Let's see those hypocrites now.

You'r misrepresenting the argument, here.

Sony is oversooting the market with 3D in the PS3. There's only a few tens of thousands of people who can utilize it. It's analogous to the HD problem with the HD twins, only a couplpe of orders of magnitude worse.

Nintendo is waiting until a 30% adoption rate for 3D-capable displays before making a 3D-centric system. Timing and care in the console space is what separates Nintendo from Sony.

sure they are but it will only come in 2012 or 2013

Khuutra said:
aragod said:

You'r misrepresenting the argument, here.

Sony is oversooting the market with 3D in the PS3. There's only a few tens of thousands of people who can utilize it. It's analogous to the HD problem with the HD twins, only a couplpe of orders of magnitude worse.

Nintendo is waiting until a 30% adoption rate for 3D-capable displays before making a 3D-centric system. Timing and care in the console space is what separates Nintendo from Sony.

yeah but SONY is only pushing so that they can go fully 3D next gen

remember blu-ray,if they hadn't done that this gen then PS4 would have had major limitations with DS-DVD thing

SONY is just pushingn 3D this gen and then full 3D next gen

Lastgengamer said:
scottie said:

Couldn't it still be added through a firmware update much like Sony has done?

it could but Wii doesn't have that much power to spare or the video output port to display the graphics

PS3 has both power and HDMI 1.3 that can do full hd 1080 3D