By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Considering 3D For Wii Successor!

Khuutra said:
aragod said:
Khuutra said:

You'r misrepresenting the argument, here.

Sony is oversooting the market with 3D in the PS3. There's only a few tens of thousands of people who can utilize it. It's analogous to the HD problem with the HD twins, only a couplpe of orders of magnitude worse.

Nintendo is waiting until a 30% adoption rate for 3D-capable displays before making a 3D-centric system. Timing and care in the console space is what separates Nintendo from Sony.

You've misunderstood my post, my point was that pretty much every Nintendo fan here was calling Sony pushing 3D as a silly decision and poor gimmick (which it may be, for all I care), but suddenly when Nintendo announced 3DS and is seriously considering 3D for the next generations, not it's "THE THING".

In other words, we have a nice bunch of hypocrites here without their own oppinion. Next time someone will try to tell me that Wii Party isn't the most embarrasing thing ever announced.

Oh no, I got you the first time. You're wrong, though, because that position isn't hypocrisy. A position itself can't inherently be hypocritical, only reasoning can be.

I hold that Sony's push for 3D on the PS3 (and PS4, if they do that) is stupid, but it's a good move by Nintendo on the 3DS.

3D on a console is an example of continuing to overshoot the market orders of magnitude greater than HD graphics was at the start of this gen, because 3D penetration is orders of magnitude lower. How many people own a 3D-capable TV and a PS3? Fifty thousand? Less? Much less? What is the projected penetration for 3DTVs by the time the next hardware cycle launches in a couple of years? Sony is providing a value incentive that few if any will be able to take advantage of due to prohibitive costs not associated with the system itself. They're tying the success of their 3D push into the adoption rate of 3DTVs before the technology has had time to mature or take hold.

Nintendo's 3D is inherent to the system itself, and requires no investment outside of the system. They are not overshooting the market unless the system itself is prohibitively expensive. More, they are undercutting Sony's initiative by providing a 3D experience for cheaper without the need for extra hardware, in a way that makes the use of 3D glasses look clunky before anyone's even had the attempt to get used to the latter experience. Nintendo's move is smart because it is self-contained, relies only on its ability to push its own hardware and software, and aggressively undermines Sony's effort.

That is why Sony's approach is dumb and Nintendo's is not.

For the record, 3D tech is awesome in general. It is not $4,000 of awesome.

For all the fluff you throw around we are still on different note and you are still missing the only thing I was trying to point out.

So again in a few words and simple sentence, this way it just might get through:

Sony - 3D - gimmick. Nintendo - 3D - awesome.

I'm not talking about business strategy, proper time to deploy given technology to masses, the right way to do it. Or which company's approach is dumb and which is smart. But the general idea that 3D was a gimmick, till Nintendo said it's in their future.

But you are right, I've used hypocrisy in the wrong context, as the correct word there would be simply fanboy.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

Around the Network
aragod said:

For all the fluff you throw around we are still on different note and you are still missing the only thing I was trying to point out.

So again in a few words and simple sentence, this way it just might get through:

I'm not talking about business strategy, proper time to deploy given technology to masses, the right way to do it. Or which company's approach is dumb and which is smart. But the general idea that 3D was a gimmick, till Nintendo said it's in their future.

But you are right, I've used hypocrisy in the wrong context, as the correct word there would be simply fanboy.

Show me the people who decried one as a gimmick and then praised the other out the other side of their mouths. After you do that, I' still going ot remind you that you are generalizing.

Now, which perspective comes down to "fanboy", here? Individuals who say gimmick and then awesome would be hypocrites.

Khuutra said:
aragod said:

So is Nintendo also heading towards it's doom like Sony now when we are talking 3D? Or did 3D suddenly became the real deal now that Nintendo says so? Let's see those hypocrites now.

Sony is oversooting the market with 3D in the PS3. There's only a few tens of thousands of people who can utilize it. It's analogous to the HD problem with the HD twins, only a couplpe of orders of magnitude worse.

Nintendo is waiting until a 30% adoption rate for 3D-capable displays before making a 3D-centric system. Timing and care in the console space is what separates Nintendo from Sony.

I hear the PS4 is going to be smell-o-vision compatible!

Khuutra said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:

what don't i know??????

that reasoning makes perfect sense

by fully 3D i meant having 2d AND 3D games of every game on the disc as people can choose

Nintendos' wait for good penetration idea will only happen if SONY and other companies started penetrating with 3D

so as SONY is a electronic company they themselves push,but Nintendo can't do a thing

if BLU-RAY wasn't pushed by SONY the wait for penetration would have only doomed the PS4 and other HD consoles next gen's capabilities with the HD-DVD

that is how it works

What? No. Listen, Sony's primary driving ability her isn't as an electronics provider, the only way to push tchnology is through value propositions where price is measured against benefit provided by content. Sony has to act as a content provider, not a tech provider, if they want to be able to push tech. Tech doesn't sell itself. Content does, when balanced out against the values of the consumer.

You're operating under the false assumption that Sony has the magical ability to get people ot adopt this tech just by putting it out there. They don't.

Nintendo is waiting for 30% penetration for a very speific reason - at that point, the value proposition of 3D will be high enough in comparison to the cost that it makes sense to go for it.

Your HD-DVD comment is both specious and outside the bounds of this discussion.

Isn't Sony providing the content though by producing 3D blockbuster games?

The business positions of Sony and Nintendo with regards to 3D are completely uncomparable, they are very different companies with very different objectives. Nintendo can afford to 'wait it out' on the 3D market where as Sony have wider implications than simply the success of SCE to consider.

Khuutra said:
Squilliam said:

According to this: http://see3dtv.info/

Only 845,000 3DTVs will have been sold by the end of this year. Even with 200% growth YOY given the fact that only 800k 3DTVs will be sold this year there will be only be just over 10M 3DTVs sold by 2012.

Why Squilliam, you minx.

Are those numbers America only? Even if they are, 10M is.... not quite 30%, I do not think? Maybe more like 10%?

US has 300m population so thats noway near 10%

Around the Network
aragod said:
Khuutra said:
aragod said:
Khuutra said:

You've misunderstood my post, my point was that pretty much every Nintendo fan here was calling Sony pushing 3D as a silly decision and poor gimmick (which it may be, for all I care), but suddenly when Nintendo announced 3DS and is seriously considering 3D for the next generations, not it's "THE THING".

In other words, we have a nice bunch of hypocrites here without their own oppinion. Next time someone will try to tell me that Wii Party isn't the most embarrasing thing ever announced.

Oh no, I got you the first time. You're wrong, though, because that position isn't hypocrisy. A position itself can't inherently be hypocritical, only reasoning can be.

I hold that Sony's push for 3D on the PS3 (and PS4, if they do that) is stupid, but it's a good move by Nintendo on the 3DS.

3D on a console is an example of continuing to overshoot the market orders of magnitude greater than HD graphics was at the start of this gen, because 3D penetration is orders of magnitude lower. How many people own a 3D-capable TV and a PS3? Fifty thousand? Less? Much less? What is the projected penetration for 3DTVs by the time the next hardware cycle launches in a couple of years? Sony is providing a value incentive that few if any will be able to take advantage of due to prohibitive costs not associated with the system itself. They're tying the success of their 3D push into the adoption rate of 3DTVs before the technology has had time to mature or take hold.

Nintendo's 3D is inherent to the system itself, and requires no investment outside of the system. They are not overshooting the market unless the system itself is prohibitively expensive. More, they are undercutting Sony's initiative by providing a 3D experience for cheaper without the need for extra hardware, in a way that makes the use of 3D glasses look clunky before anyone's even had the attempt to get used to the latter experience. Nintendo's move is smart because it is self-contained, relies only on its ability to push its own hardware and software, and aggressively undermines Sony's effort.

That is why Sony's approach is dumb and Nintendo's is not.

For the record, 3D tech is awesome in general. It is not $4,000 of awesome.

NO NEED TO fight with him

he is that person who says give me proff for everything

Khuutra said:
Squilliam said:

Only 845,000 3DTVs will have been sold by the end of this year. Even with 200% growth YOY given the fact that only 800k 3DTVs will be sold this year there will be only be just over 10M 3DTVs sold by 2012.

Why Squilliam, you minx.

Are those numbers America only? Even if they are, 10M is.... not quite 30%, I do not think? Maybe more like 10%?

They are worldwide AFAIK, especially as on the same page there was an 'expert prediction' for 20M 3DTVs worldwide by 2015. Even 10M in the U.S.A. would not translate to 10% of the households, I think there are more like 150M in America off the top of my head.

Tease.

Khuutra said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Khuutra said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Khuutra said:

I claimed nothing of the sort; I don't know enough about the marketing battle between HD-DVD and Blu-ray to say either way, though I remember beefier studios being behind blu-ray and providing beefier content.

STUDIOS ONLY WENT BEHIND blu-ray as it was in PS3 or HD-DVD with the cheap price would have won

the tech and brands have a big impact on the success

That's a pretty good line, except I'm willing to bet you can't provide any proof of that reasoning whatsoever.

what proof do you want

there isn't proof for everything

we all were watching market trands and thats what happened

Show me any articles you have that actually support your supposition. Otherwise you have no grounds on which to make that assumption, in which case you're probably better off not trying to use it as a talking point.

if you want articles go and search urself

i am here to search 2006 old scarce articles for you

its not our problem that you didn't follow the industry and won't teach you history here

what happened was what we told you,now you go and search to provide urself with some proof

stop being a person who says "i didn't say or claim anything but what you said what also not true,i don't know what happened but i don't believe you either".............lmao

Squilliam said:
Khuutra said:
Squilliam said:

Why Squilliam, you minx.

They are worldwide AFAIK, especially as on the same page there was an 'expert prediction' for 20M 3DTVs worldwide by 2015. Even 10M in the U.S.A. would not translate to 10% of the households, I think there are more like 150M in America off the top of my head.

I see. Instead of a worldwide penetration, we can assume a mean penetration of 30% in all of Nintendo's primary territories, and if the States alone would need 50 million TVs to hit 30%...

Good gravy.

Yeah, Nintendo's 3D console will not be out for a while.

CrazyHorse said:

Isn't Sony providing the content though by producing 3D blockbuster games?

The business positions of Sony and Nintendo with regards to 3D are completely uncomparable, they are very different companies with very different objectives. Nintendo can afford to 'wait it out' on the 3D market where as Sony have wider implications than simply the success of SCE to consider.

You are right on the second part, but I'm not sure that Sony's content initiative is going to work here unless they're willing to cripple the Playstation brand again for several more years.