By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Repetition of History - Microsoft is Nintendo

dreamcast210 said:

It's a disruptor because Sony/Nintendo can only mimic what Kinect can do.

For instance, I watch the EA Sports Active 2.0 demo. They had 3 people on stage. One using the Wii version, the other the Move version and the other the Kinect version. As you watch this, you see a very distinct difference between the Kinect and teh Wii/Move versions. Just watch the video and you'll see.

While it's not so much the case now, in the next year or two you will get experiences on Kinect that you will not be able to get anywhere else.

EA Sports Activ 2.0

and viceversa. i think the bigg3 in general will be showing us things we havn't seen before. not just MS,Sony, or Nintendo overall!

Around the Network
scottie said:
makingmusic476 said:

Honestly, I remember things going more like this for NIntendo:

E305 - Wtf?  A remote!?  You've got to be kidding me!  Total fail.  Nintendo going 3rd party confirmed!
E306 - Well what do ya know, this stuff actually works.  And it's actually pretty darn cool!  *plays more tennis*

The hate didn't begin again until 2007/2008, when people were mad the Wii was selling so well and were scared games like Wii Fit would kill gaming or whatever.

Now compare this to Microsoft:

E309 - Controller free gaming?  What??  This is crazy!  Can't wait to see more!
E310 - Oh.  It actually doesn't work all that well.  And are we really only going to get games like Your Shape?  Where's the hardcore stuff?  And wait, it costs how much!?!  Oh, that's not confirmed.  But what if it's true?!

Honestly, the two seem fairly opposite to me.

Agreed, what I was hoping for from MS was

Above all else - final release hardware for Natal in the hands of VGChartz staff, who say that it works very well

Less, but still moderately important

- Milo details

- The use of Natal as the only controller for a shooter, and at least an on stage demo if it working

- Something that appeals to the new market Nintendo went for, that hasn't already been made by Nintendo

it would be nice to have a gun perifial with any shooter that comes to natal!

leo-j said:

I kinda agree makingmusic.. that's what it looks like to me, but based on pre orders, kinect and the new 360 are already climbing up the online charts on amazon/gamestop.

Amazon means nothing.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

You might have a point if Microsoft knew what the hell they were doing, but it's all so incredibly half-baked. They looked at Nintendo making money hand over fist and said, "We want that." So they bought some interesting technology that seemed like it might be able to "out-Wii the Wii" and made a bunch of gamez 4 teh casualz. Problem is, said games are less Nintendo and more... Gameloft.

leo-j said:

I kinda agree makingmusic.. that's what it looks like to me, but based on pre orders, kinect and the new 360 are already climbing up the online charts on amazon/gamestop.

They heard something about a 3D camera and bought the first thing that popped up.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:

Honestly, I remember things going more like this for NIntendo:

E305 - Wtf?  A remote!?  You've got to be kidding me!  Total fail.  Nintendo going 3rd party confirmed!
E306 - Well what do ya know, this stuff actually works.  And it's actually pretty darn cool!  *plays more tennis*

The hate didn't begin again until 2007/2008, when people were mad the Wii was selling so well and were scared games like Wii Fit would kill gaming or whatever.

Now compare this to Microsoft:

E309 - Controller free gaming?  What??  This is crazy!  Can't wait to see more!
E310 - Oh.  It actually doesn't work all that well.  And are we really only going to get games like Your Shape?  Where's the hardcore stuff?  And wait, it costs how much!?!  Oh, that's not confirmed.  But what if it's true?!

Honestly, the two seem fairly opposite to me.  People laughed at the Wii's premice, but it ended up delivering a year later.  With Kinect, most people were quite impressed at first, then gradually became more and more let down.

I don't buy your interpretation of events. Maybe its because I spend the most time on the www.beyond3d.com forums where the signal:noise ratio is about 10x greater. Because of this I never expected or anticipated Kinect to be anything but a basic interface and I factored that into my expectations/anticipation. The Xbox 360 already has a more advanced interface in the form of the standard controller, no need to replicate that again. Why release another controller where your wrist simply replaces the right thumb stick?

In terms of cost @$149 at the highest end of the typical range its still within the realms of the price of the comparable PS-Move controller and it does add functionality which the Move doesn't replicate. It has value as both a game controller and a media interface, hell given the fact it can do what the Wii Fit controller does it definately brings a lot of value even if its $149.

Its not and will never be the Xbox 360 core controller. Thats the original controller you get with every single Xbox 360. Its an extension which focuses on the wide spread of the market which isn't covered by the controller itself. Its a killer media interface, something which the Wiimote and Move controllers are not. It encompasses a whole range of physical movement based games which is why the name Kinect was chosen.

Tease.

darthdevidem01 said:
leo-j said:

Amazon means nothing.

right now slim is number 1 on sales charts. Kinect outside of top 100. (move at 27 fyi)

theprof00 said:
Reasonable said:
noname2200 said:
theprof00 said:

yeah and nintendo didn't even have elephants or skittles or oprah style giveaways

You don't need those when you let the game journalists get within a hundred feet of a hot girl.  Really Nintendo, I expected you to not be so obvious when "buying" good press.

At least they were attached to cables.  I heard MS was just giving them away...

when i saw them attached to their belts I instantly thought about someone seducing a 3ds girl and stealing her treasure.

My guess is that most of the press was thinking the same thing: "Whoa, they're popping out right at me!  The 3DS games are neat too."

RolStoppable said:
makingmusic476 said:
RolStoppable said:

Microsoft E3 2010 reminds me of Sony E3 2006 mixed with Nintendo E3 2008. Sony because the year before they made big promises on which they couldn't deliver afterwards and Nintendo because the presentation was over the top and often felt out of place. Then Wii Music failed and flopped. In Microsoft's case that will be Kinect.

If the $149 price is true, I especially agree with you.

People also seem to have forgotten about Microsoft's developer roundtable prior to TGS 2009. Famous industry guys like Kojima and Mikami were saying nothing but good things about Natal, but now, almost a year later, where are their games? I am not even asking for trailers here, just confirmation that they are indeed working on Kinect games. Nothing to be seen, instead people keep saying that Kinect always was for the "casual" audience.

I never thought I could ever agree with you on something...

The point was missed. It's about critical reception - and mainly the reception of the gaming community. Sure Nintendo put on a great show in '06, but up until 2008 people still doubted the Nintendo Wii, and it's contribution to good gaming. Titles such as Wii Fit, Super Mario Galaxy, and others helped push Nintendo beyond successful with their efforts. The point is...Microsoft is in a position much like Nintendo was when it first introduced the idea of motion based gaming. When it comes to critical reception from the gaming community at least. It's a gimmick most say, or it's only for casuals...my favorite - simply, "fail". Yet the same things were said of Nintendo's Wii, and we all can clearly see how that turned out. While Kinect may not be (ok let's be real, it won't) as successful as the Wii, that doesn't mean it'll bomb/fail.

Remember when it was codenamed the "Revolution"...then unveiled as the, "Wii"?

Remember how people said, "No one wants to wave a remote at the screen! Gimme my controller!" (you get the point).

It's a new approach to a established, and successful way of gaming. Give it time. I'm just trying to stay positive here, God knows i ate alot of crow when i misjudged the the Wii's control scheme, and success.

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar