By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Repetition of History - Microsoft is Nintendo

Microsoft had one of the BEST E3 Press Conferences i've seen in many years. Hands down. The casual stuff, the hardcore stuff, the majority of the show for me was awesome, and felt a bit...familiar.

The press conference accomplished it's goal. Showing how Xbox Live is always one step ahead of the competition, showing that the key Xbox titles were doing well, and looked great, and most importantly how Kinect works, and how it's more of a unique experience vs. controller based motion sensing tech.

Tech-heads have cried to the high heavens for a Minority Report-esque control scheme to be incorparated into their entertainment experiences, and Kinect is the first step toward that. Did you not see, and hear the way in which you can interact with your console?! That was amazing, and nothing has been done like it since. This is what you wanted right? It should be embraced as a step in the right direction, no?

A misguided/childish "hate" for Microsoft (look down right now at the button beside the 'Alt' key...Microsoft PC? Thought so) has seemed to develop amongst non-Xbox owners, and it's gotten to be unbearable to even read, much more listen to. The level of arrogance, and to a greater extent ignorance is appauling. Tech demos can't be shown without immediate accusation of it being "fake". Casual games can't be shown without being dismissed as mere shovelware, or imitation, regardless of content. Sound familiar?

In my opinion the E3 2010 Microsoft Press Conference was reminiscent of the E3 2006 Nintendo Press Conference. People laughed, criticized, and downright ridiculed Nintendo for their bold approach to motion controlled gaming, and yet here we are...70+million consoles later. Now Microsoft has shown us a new way to not only control your games, but interact with your console, friends, and media, but here it is again...hate, laughter, criticizm, and downright ridicule. It's all so...familiar.

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

Around the Network

Disruption isn't copying success.  It's seeing what noone else sees.

-stops looking at Skyrender's signature-

Pixel Art can be fun.

Wait people hated Nintendo's E3 2006?

Form what I remember the press was raving about the Wii and there were lines HOURS long waiting to play the Wii. Amidst the chaos SONY's E3 went bad.

We have heard nothing like that happen with NATAL.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I have a question: are Kinect games playable on the E3 floor? Because in 2006 Nintendo was trying everything to get Wiimotes in as many hands as possible.

Only time will say...Honor to Microsoft, Kinect is a risky move.

Around the Network

Indeed Familiar, but again different...

Wii Now = $199.99

360 Now (Arcade) = 149.99 99.99 (At Least) = $249.99

With the Wii already at the height of Popularity, I think its gonna be very difficult for a console that is even older, and more expensive (By $50.00 or More) to suddenly obtain anywhere near the success Nintendo had with the Wii or is having currently... I could be wrong...

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits

Kinect is not playable on the show floor. The skepticism around Microsoft is not misguided or childish hate, it's justified. It appears they are not confident in their own product.

Nintendo, on the other hand, constantly pushes for people to play their products, so they can make their own judgement, because they are confident it will be received well. Whether it's the Wii, 3DS, or Wii Motion Plus, this is how they operate. It works because I'll believe normal people over Microsoft's controlled subjects any day.

edit: Apparently is playable, so disregard the above

When Kinect shows us how to do:

RPG's

Fighter's

Action/Adventure

Action

Shooters

Platformers

The you might have a point. Kinect still hasnt proven anything Xxcept what we already knew it was gonna do.There is no way that it can massively successful if it cant do the genre's that most core gamers are usaully into. At least the Wii in all its early ridicule was still shown do those.

Rhonin the wizard said:

I have a question: are Kinect games playable on the E3 floor? Because in 2006 Nintendo was trying everything to get Wiimotes in as many hands as possible.

I believe they are, yes.

Edit:  Apparently I was wrong though!

yeah and nintendo didn't even have elephants or skittles or oprah style giveaways