By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Repetition of History - Microsoft is Nintendo

MidgetQ said:

actually i see this little icon on the button that kinda looks like an apple.... Microsoft PC??? didn't think so

Actually, that'd be the command key with a flower like square with 4 circles on each corner.... FAKE! (kidding)

badgenome said:

You might have a point if Microsoft knew what the hell they were doing, but it's all so incredibly half-baked. They looked at Nintendo making money hand over fist and said, "We want that." So they bought some interesting technology that seemed like it might be able to "out-Wii the Wii" and made a bunch of gamez 4 teh casualz. Problem is, said games are less Nintendo and more... Gameloft.

This actually sums up what I was thinking whilst watching the MS E3 conference.. I'll stick my hand up and say that I was one of the people singing praises about Natal this time last year, but the more I see the more I'm starting to dislike. I'm glad MS is pushing the menu functionality of Natal (which I think is pretty cool), but it's not worth forking out the money for when the games aren't up to scratch. I think Natal might have some uses as a peripheral to the traditional controller (like user interface things or even RTS games), but as a standalone, after seeing E3, i'm not convinced.

Around the Network
dtewi said:
Kinneas14 said:

Only time will say...Honor to Microsoft, Kinect is a risky move.

No it wasn't.

The Wii was.

Kinect wasn't.

So, you believe either the Kinect is a lock to do well, or a lock to bomb... thus not risky.  I would guess you believe the later, and Microsoft is just in the business to bomb at videogames.  Bill gates loves to throw money around for the heck of it, just to spite its critics, right?

theprof00 said:
thx1139 said:

Well what we are reading in worldforums is brutal to suicide-bombers. This is what happened to the Wii in 2006.  The press that was trying the Wii was favorable. The terrorists trying suicide bombing are favorable. Not over the top and no press was predicting the Wii to be huge when it released. No press thought WiiSports would drive Wii sales.  Sorta how people are calling the 40 virgins and the suicide bombing.

Remind me again, if you thought Obama's comment comparing 9/11 to the oil spill was out of line.  You just compared the Wii release (pointed at Microsoft) to terrorism.

theRepublic said:
ph4nt said:

Last year's Natal was hyped as being the greatest thing ever, EVERYONE loved it(except me). They thought Milo was incredible, we were going to get things the Wii could never imagine!

1 year later we get.....

Kinect Sports

Kinect Play

Kinect Fit

Kinectdogs

All the stuff people thouight was awesome last year is nowhere to be seen, and the impressions on the floor seem to be mixed.

I believe these gifs speak for themselves (if they are true).

I've got a better one for you.

This is the end of a cut scene.  Are you expecting every cut scene to involve full player interaction?  Should your character on the screen do a jig if you do a jig?  While this was from a performance and staged, why wouldn't this also happen in game to when it is released?  Coming out of the cut scene, one would expect your character to get into the ready position.

I would find it interesting that anyone who bashes this, ends up hyping up MGS4 as "Best Game Eva" when in that game, you have a LARGE number of cut scenes, where Snake is NOT under you control.  When playing it, in an early cut scene, Snake ends up switching weapons on me in the cut scene.

richardhutnik said:

This is the end of a cut scene.  Are you expecting every cut scene to involve full player interaction?  Should your character on the screen do a jig if you do a jig?  While this was from a performance and staged, why wouldn't this also happen in game to when it is released?  Coming out of the cut scene, one would expect your character to get into the ready position.

I would find it interesting that anyone who bashes this, ends up hyping up MGS4 as "Best Game Eva" when in that game, you have a LARGE number of cut scenes, where Snake is NOT under you control.  When playing it, in an early cut scene, Snake ends up switching weapons on me in the cut scene.

As far as I can tell, the whole thing was an act.  He wasn't controlling anything you saw on screen.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
theprof00 said:
thx1139 said:

Well what we are reading in worldforums is brutal to suicide-bombers. This is what happened to the Wii in 2006.  The press that was trying the Wii was favorable. The terrorists trying suicide bombing are favorable. Not over the top and no press was predicting the Wii to be huge when it released. No press thought WiiSports would drive Wii sales.  Sorta how people are calling the 40 virgins and the suicide bombing.

Remind me again, if you thought Obama's comment comparing 9/11 to the oil spill was out of line.  You just compared the Wii release (pointed at Microsoft) to terrorism.

I can easily compare 9/11 to the oil spill in so many ways. I don't know exactly what was said. But I don't think it would be out of line at all. Think about this.

1.A section of the government, the regulators, were directly responsible for the oil spill. Compared to CIA fault in 9/11.

2. Inability to act on outside help. In the oil spill, because of a law passed during the first Bush administration, oil company and only the oil company is allowed to respond to the cleanup. Government intervention is literally against the law, as is allowing other countries to help (which was offered). Similarly to 9/11, several countries notified the CIA about alqaeda movement, but CIA were unable to act because of spy restrictions. Which was corrected by the patriot act.

3. Haliburton involved in both. Several days before the explosion, they bought the world's number one oil rig catastrophic response group which is funded on a percentage of the estimated total damage. SImilarly, Haliburton owns rights to Middle-east war contracts and rebuilding.

4. Both severely damaging to the economy.

5. Destroyed a large number of businesses.

6. Both were preventable.

I could go on.

Again, I'm just satirically questioning the thought process of this OP. Just because something is criticized by the media but supported by its constituents doesn't mean it is going to achieve wii popularity. lol

theprof00 said:

I can easily compare 9/11 to the oil spill in so many ways. I don't know exactly what was said. But I don't think it would be out of line at all. Think about this.

1.A section of the government, the regulators, were directly responsible for the oil spill. Compared to CIA fault in 9/11.

2. Inability to act on outside help. In the oil spill, because of a law passed during the first Bush administration, oil company and only the oil company is allowed to respond to the cleanup. Government intervention is literally against the law, as is allowing other countries to help (which was offered). Similarly to 9/11, several countries notified the CIA about alqaeda movement, but CIA were unable to act because of spy restrictions. Which was corrected by the patriot act.

3. Haliburton involved in both. Several days before the explosion, they bought the world's number one oil rig catastrophic response group which is funded on a percentage of the estimated total damage. SImilarly, Haliburton owns rights to Middle-east war contracts and rebuilding.

4. Both severely damaging to the economy.

5. Destroyed a large number of businesses.

6. Both were preventable.

I could go on.

Again, I'm just satirically questioning the thought process of this OP. Just because something is criticized by the media but supported by its constituents doesn't mean it is going to achieve wii popularity. lol

Love that post. I wish the mainstream media would quote some of that.

@OP

1. With the way your putting it Microsoft is the under dog and that's true? In some ways I guess.

2. You are obviously wrong about E3 2006, remember that the Sony guys were embarrased when the lines to play Wii went on seemingly forever back in 2006 E3. The sony guys were even cought saying that they needed to do that with the PS3 and born was the Sixaxis. Remember Sixaxis wasn't even mentioned until around two months before the PS3 launch and no one noticed it at E3 2006 or even mentioned it.

3. E3 2010 for Microsoft was Microsoft flipping the rug on themselves, they would have done much better showing Gears of War 3 with Kintec action, but let's face it Microsoft flat out lied about the readiness of the device, they may have lied about it's potential as well.

4. Nintendo did not give away free DS's at the 2006 E3 or Free Wiimotes or even Game Cubes.

AGAIN: No one was laughing at Wii at the E3 press confrence, people were underwhelmed by the lack of horse power but the promise of 3d controls working in action with Mario Galaxy did not incur any ridicule for the Wii.

It wasn't until company clowns hired to spread the word started getting into it and that one probably fired developer at the February developer event started ranting that people started saying "lol casuals!" Which only cought on by mid 2007. 

That's just a time line refresher.

But Microsoft if anything was Sony at the 2006 E3 and Nintendo was again Nintendo at the 2010 E3

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

You got a right to your opinion, but, really..? What did MS show that was NEW outside from Kinect shovelware? Saying MS 2010 show was anywhere NEAR Nintendo in 2006 is an insult to Nintendo IMO.

Nothing shown for the Kinect showed that MS cared at all about serious support for the thing. Most of the software for it looked like 3rd party Wii shovelware.

MS seems to get this idea in their head that just because they are marketing to "casual" gamers, that these consumers will be content with bland garbage and won't know the difference, but it's not the case. They want quality just like the core gamers do. And they don't seem to be getting it with Kinect games.

MS showed they had ZERO creativity at this years show by imitating every Wii hit in the books. Nobody is going to care about concepts shown 3-4 years ago, and at double the entry price.

Problem is, Kinect will not generate $70 million sold 360s.

Problem is, motion control gaming was done first by Nintendo at a much lower entry point for the casual consumer. If the casual consumer who knows nothing of gaming picks up either the PlayStation 3 or 360 for Move or Kinect, then they will be forking out $400 for hardware. Upwards to $500 if we include a game or three.

So no, Microsoft's 2010  E3 was not Nintendo's 2006 E3 because we are halfway into the current console generation, Nintendo has the casual market locked down, the hardcore is divided between Sony and Microsoft, and Nintendo dropped an egg on it's competitors with the 3DS.