By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - All is not lost for MS fanboys

noname2200 said:
tuscaniman said:

A Dualshock is $49 therefore its cheaper to buy the secondary controller if you want more than one person to play.

I'm assuming that any PS3 owner who plays local multiplayer already owns a second Dualshock, and that new owners who want to play locally would have had to buy the second Dualshock anways.  In nearly all cases, I'm sure I'm correct.

Well if thats the case and they enjoy holding a dualshock with one hand and using the thumbstick at the same time more power to them. Then they would only have to buy one Move bundle with the move controllers so it would only cost a couple hundred dollars.

Around the Network

I guess this should be posted here as this doesn't seem to be widely reported at the moment...

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1099085p1.html

E3 2010: Five Concerns about Kinect

#3:

"Right now, Kinect only works when you stand. This includes menu navigation. All the cool options to grab a slider and advance through frames of a movie you are watching only work when you are on your feet. Kinect, we've been told, has problems handling your skeletal frame while sitting. The voice commands still work, but every game we've seen and even simple menu navigation have to be done with you out of your seat. That's not exactly how I want to watch my movies. If the focus for Kinect is creating games like Dance Central that naturally would require you to be off your couch, that's great. But I have to say, no one thinks "I am driving a car!" while standing up in their living room."

The big concern here is that if wimmen and chilluns start playing the 360, then playing Xbox will no longer be manly in any way.

Do you think millions of totally manly Xbox dudes are going to voluntarily pay Microsoft $150 to be castrated? I don't think so.

My comment is very tongue-in-cheek, but some people actually seem to put a lot of stock in this gamer identity bullshit. This behavior of focusing on Xbox's family-friendly software and ignoring all the M for totally mature games seems very familiar...

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

yeah, kinect is a bad idea on so many levels...

- 360 crowd is young hardcore gamers (especially shooters fans), the exact opposite of the Wii crowd... They're risking losing them a lot quicker than they gain a new crowd...

- 150 ms lag reported (vs 22 ms on move) : which serious game can you play with 150 ms lag ??

- 150 $ seriously, nobody will buy it at that price ? Not me, not my friends either, not my mother.

- every game is a "Wii Too". Kinectimals = Nintendogs / Eyepet, Kinect Sports = Wii Sports, dancing games and so on...

- zero core game (of course there is NO core experience you can make without controller... don't start me on faking a wheel with your hands on Forza, you know the precision is ZERO... 150 ms lag would kill it anyway)

- you must stand up while using it (what were they thinking ? who doesn't sit when he plays or watches movies ? lol)

It just doesn't work. It's a pure financial suicide from MS point, seriously.

dumbo said:

I guess this should be posted here as this doesn't seem to be widely reported at the moment...

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1099085p1.html

E3 2010: Five Concerns about Kinect

#3:

"Right now, Kinect only works when you stand. This includes menu navigation. All the cool options to grab a slider and advance through frames of a movie you are watching only work when you are on your feet. Kinect, we've been told, has problems handling your skeletal frame while sitting. The voice commands still work, but every game we've seen and even simple menu navigation have to be done with you out of your seat. That's not exactly how I want to watch my movies. If the focus for Kinect is creating games like Dance Central that naturally would require you to be off your couch, that's great. But I have to say, no one thinks "I am driving a car!" while standing up in their living room."

Well now I can't buy one {actually I couldn't buy one because my room is set up all wrong. If I want to stand up in front of my TV, I have to be about 50cm away from a 40" screen, the top of which doesn't even reach my waist...} but I can still play Gears of War 3 and that is all that really matters

Around the Network

Unfortunately, Kinect is a pain for 360 core gamers too...

In addition to being a bad idea, Kinect uses precious resources from MS 1st party.

MS already had very few studios, and now they ask those few studios to release stupid casual party games instead of new IPs...

tuscaniman said:
Ruiz_Tubbs said:

Anyone that thought that M$ conference was good must be blind. The one had one previously unknown AAA title which didn't even give us any game play or CGI. The Crytek game was the only one. Secondly, kinect will be an epic failure. They're worried about how well it will do so they should therebest games for it trying to build hype. If they announced the price everyone would have just lose interest. report price is $180us. There even talking about having a cheaper one without the motor for $130us.

ms e3 was garbage.

Thanks for that wonderful insight. So what exactly did Sony show that was unannounced that blew our minds? Oh yeah Twisted Metal. A rehash of a nostalgic series. Even at $180 Kinect would still be cheaper than Move if you wanted more then 1 person to play which is the whole point of motion control gaming. Secondly I'm pretty sure nobody knew about a new Forza Kinect game and ESPN which is exclusive to the 360.

What Sony did ?

Well they announced and demoed a lot of core games, like LBP2, Motorstorm 3, Infamous 2, Killzone 3,FF XIV, Sly Racoon collection, Portal 2, Gran Turismo 5, new Twisted Metal...

New IPs like Sorcerers, Heroes on the move...

Nice Move core games (used in Tiger Woods, Killzone 3, Sports Champion...)

It's not even close.

I'd say the sheer amount of hate from non Microsoft fans shows Kinect impressed more people than they can admit. 

tuscaniman said:

Well if thats the case and they enjoy holding a dualshock with one hand and using the thumbstick at the same time more power to them. Then they would only have to buy one Move bundle with the move controllers so it would only cost a couple hundred dollars.

Despite your post count, I'll confess that I don't recognize you, so I must ask: is there a reason you're going to great lengths to shoot down the Move?  If you're convinced that it's going to be a failure, why not just sit back and watch the inevitable, rather than claim that two Move controllers will cost "a couple hundred dollars"?

tuscaniman said:
aragod said:
tuscaniman said:
Brennan said:

Yeah, it was really MS worst conference ever... They really want to turn their 360 into a Wii and abandon their core gamers crowd ??? It really puzzles me.

It's like throwing billions through the window, Xbox has so many fans. They risk losing in both core gaming AND casual gaming by going Wii too... I mean there's not a single core Kinect game. Not ONE...

MS investors already wanted them to stop with gaming, I think they'll definitely do that now, unless Kinect is VERY successful (maybe 5 % chance, not more...).

Yeah MS totally doesn't care about its core gamer. I mean Halo:Reach and Gears of War 3 aren't important at all. Also exclusive Call of Duty content for the next 3 years is garbage. Forza:Kinect is also non existent I'm sure I was just imagining that. Also a Crytek exclusive plus tons of big time multiplats are headed this way. All that has been thrown out the window.

Edit: I forgot Fable III. Nobody cares about that worthless game either.

Even though you are trying to sound sarcastic, it's closer to the dreaded reality. Exclusive Call of Duty content means more worthless DLCs one month before the PS3 version, Crytek exclusive is as useful as Agent from Rockstar, both Halo and Gears are milked enough and even though they will offer good experience, they are still the very same games since the first iterration. Fable III is comming to PC and will offer most likely better experience there.

Now Kinect surely stole hearts of many gamers (did not), but it was a little too little. The only really interesting game in the whole MS conference was MGS:Rising which is a multiplat. MS wasted Rare's potential on useless Wii Sports ripoff. They had Kinect centric conference day before just to waste you time with the same casual crap during the main conference. Half of the demo's were staged.

Make of it what you will, but the general response from the gaming community including press was negative and I'm not sure that the Xbox brand can afford that right now.

Gears and Halo are milked? Then you can cross off Killzone and Gran Turismo off your list because Gran Turismo has more games then Halo in the series, and Killzone is releasing Killzone 3, the exact number of games as Gears. While you're at it cross off Twisted Metal since that has been milked as well. See how I just did that? Your Sony lineup is pretty weak at this point. If you're a ninty fan then cross off Donkey Kong, Zelda, and Goldeneye, all milked.

What are you? an ignorant?

Both nintendo and sony have been on the games consoles business for a long time.