By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - All is not lost for MS fanboys

A203D said:

Yeah i guess i can see the draw of Kinect, it looks cool and it seems like fun for kids and families. and lets be honest M$ are targetting Nintendos market because their losing ground to the PS3. and maybe it will be super successful, maybe it could ruin the wii dominace.

but lets face it motion control has been done and nintendo pretty much stole the show with the 3DS. so will people pay for something they can get cheaper (wii) or already have (wii) for a device that dosent have any 3rd party support at the moment and 15 games that are very simmilar to games on the wii. i think people will instead decide to spend their money on 3DS which is the next big thing.

Actually Microsoft IMO are targeting 4 main areas.

1. People who are intimidated by controllers, any controllers.

2. People who would never consider playing games.

3. People who are excited by hands free interfaces for media/gaming.

4. People who are underserved by the Wii by attempting to make the experience as easy as possible and with new possibilities brought out by the different interface.

Microsoft haven't given up on their competition with Sony and they aren't losing ground that fast to make it useless for them to try to compete. This is the reason why they released the Xbox 360 redesign because it addresses every single major complaint about the system I.E. No wifi, a bit too large, ugly, and noisy.

I personally don't see many people choosing between a 3DS or an Xbox 360 even though I suspect the 3DS may very well be the fastest selling gaming device of all time once Nintendo ramp production. They address different markets and the connection more tenuous than the gameboy advance was to the Gamecube because whilst the GBA was a sales masterpiece the GC flopped hard.

Anyway Microsoft unveiled 4 key killer apps for the mainstream market.

1. Media interface ESPN to go along with Netflix, Zune, Zune video, Sky TV.

2. Dance game which was more akin to Rockband, and it looked like a lot of fun. Its unique and not replicated like that anywhere.

3. Fitness game. Sure theres the Wii Fit but this is an entirely different approach and from what I saw it may actually work better as a fitness program which surprised me. Ubisoft obviously know their stuff.

4. Kinectimals. It looks like it uses the same Milo base technology. It looks very compelling to keep small children distracted for half an hour or so at a time. Parents love anything which keeps their kids from bugging them!

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:

4. People who are underserved by the Wii by attempting to make the experience as easy as possible and with new possibilities brought out by the different interface.

Microsoft haven't given up on their competition with Sony and they aren't losing ground that fast to make it useless for them to try to compete. This is the reason why they released the Xbox 360 redesign because it addresses every single major complaint about the system I.E. No wifi, a bit too large, ugly, and noisy.

I personally don't see many people choosing between a 3DS or an Xbox 360 even though I suspect the 3DS may very well be the fastest selling gaming device of all time once Nintendo ramp production. They address different markets and the connection more tenuous than the gameboy advance was to the Gamecube because whilst the GBA was a sales masterpiece the GC flopped hard.

2. Dance game which was more akin to Rockband, and it looked like a lot of fun. Its unique and not replicated like that anywhere.

3. Fitness game. Sure theres the Wii Fit but this is an entirely different approach and from what I saw it may actually work better as a fitness program which surprised me. Ubisoft obviously know their stuff.

4. Kinectimals. It looks like it uses the same Milo base technology. It looks very compelling to keep small children distracted for half an hour or so at a time. Parents love anything which keeps their kids from bugging them!

1. Who are you trying to kid, people who would be intimdated by controllers are people like parents, adults and the elderly who have no real experience with gaming devices. a lot like the wii market. these are also people who wouldnt play games like call of duty, or even super mario galaxy. so again, adults etc. a lot of the games even look like Wii sports.

okay fair enough some people are interested in hands free entertainment and maybe some arent satisfied with the wii. but the wii has sold has sold a lot more than the 360; M$ are motivated into targetting this market for 1 reason alone, and that is profit. do you think a billionaire like bill gates cares about helping underserved wii users. of course not, or they would have targetted that market when they came into this generation.

2. i think the reason the 3DS might impede kinect's stride is because a lot of parents buy a DS for their kids and a fair amount of adults use the brain training games, puzzle games etc. so i think these people will have to decide if they want: a new motion capable device or a new 3D handheld for what i think could be a simmilar price point. but then for those without a 360, kinect would be more expensive than a 3DS. families and kids is the key market for kinect.

3. yeah fair enough ESPN is pretty cool. but this dance game seems very simmilar to 'just dance' on the wii, which was a hit. your telling me that M$ isnt targetting the fitness fans who enjoyed wii fit. and kinectimals, you have heard of nintendogs i take it. kinectimals seems based on very simmilar principles, some would say identical!!

A203D said:
Squilliam said:

1. Who are you trying to kid, people who would be intimdated by controllers are people like parents, adults and the elderly who have no real experience with gaming devices. a lot like the wii market. these are also people who wouldnt play games like call of duty, or even super mario galaxy. so again, adults etc. a lot of the games even look like Wii sports.

okay fair enough some people are interested in hands free entertainment and maybe some arent satisfied with the wii. but the wii has sold has sold a lot more than the 360; M$ are motivated into targetting this market for 1 reason alone, and that is profit. do you think a billionaire like bill gates cares about helping underserved wii users. of course not, or they would have targetted that market when they came into this generation.

2. i think the reason the 3DS might impede kinect's stride is because a lot of parents buy a DS for their kids and a fair amount of adults use the brain training games, puzzle games etc. so i think these people will have to decide if they want: a new motion capable device or a new 3D handheld for what i think could be a simmilar price point. but then for those without a 360, kinect would be more expensive than a 3DS. families and kids is the key market for kinect.

3. yeah fair enough ESPN is pretty cool. but this dance game seems very simmilar to 'just dance' on the wii, which was a hit. your telling me that M$ isnt targetting the fitness fans who enjoyed wii fit. and kinectimals, you have heard of nintendogs i take it. kinectimals seems based on very simmilar principles, some would say identical!!

Kinect is completely different to the Wii, thats the entire marketing point Microsoft are aiming for.  There are far more non gamers out there than gamers still, Microsoft are obviously aiming to capture even more new gamers as well as some of the current market, they aren't focusing solely on stealing the Wii's market.  This is why Sony's Move is hard to understand from a marketing standpoint, it isn't aiming for a different market really at all so will be fighting both Nintendo and Microsoft for consumer share. 

Whatever the future brings I just hope Sony and Microsoft use their first party devs to push motion gaming onto another level, Nintendo have already given them a good base to start from.

daroamer said:
ninty3ds said:

yeah, kinect is a bad idea on so many levels...

- 360 crowd is young hardcore gamers (especially shooters fans), the exact opposite of the Wii crowd... They're risking losing them a lot quicker than they gain a new crowd...

"And the PS3 crowd is what exactly?  The whole point of this is to expand their core userbase, not to replace it."

The PS3 crowd is both hardcore and casual, less core than MS crowd. Expanding user base could work IF MS had a lot of 1st party studios, which they don't have. Right now, casual games remove hardcore resources.

That's why you saw ZERO new IP and basically nothing for the core gamer from MS at E3. Too bad I guess.

You still have dance parties and scratchy the tiger.

ninty3ds said:

- 150 ms lag reported (vs 22 ms on move) : which serious game can you play with 150 ms lag ??

"
If you watched the Sony Move demo the lag was almost exactly the same as Kinect, 22ms is just the internal processing.  Watch the golf demo and tell me there isn't a delay from when he swings to when you see it happen on screen.

Also, Killzone 2 has 150ms lag (with a controller!) and as far as I've heard people were able to play it.

Proof: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-lag-factor-article"

You're mixing several things, controller lag and screen lag. Plus, casual games like that need an instant response to be playable and fun, which Kinect doesn't have.

150 ms is huge for casual / sports games, which is the only thing Kinect apparently can do.

Move lag at 22 ms is very inferior to Kinect lag

That's why Move was demoed live, and Natal demo was fake and recorded (see GAF for multiple proofs)

ninty3ds said:

- 150 $ seriously, nobody will buy it at that price ? Not me, not my friends either, not my mother.

"The price is rumoured and as you've already been told in this thread but chose to ignore, if you don't have a PS Eye camera already then Move will already cost you almost as much ($130) for 1 person and significantly more if you want to play with friends."

No, wrong again. Move costs 50 $ since you can play with only 1 controller and a dualshock (or just the move for pure move party games). Add 20 $ if you still don't have the PSEye, but it's basically given for free with Eyepet or any PSEye game.

Whichever way you look at it, people will look and say Kinect is too expansive at 150 $, like all they saw was arcade 360 was cheaper, while on the long run it cost more than a PS3.

Feel free to believe my mom will buy a second Wii, just with the same games, but worse and more expansive.

ninty3ds said:

- every game is a "Wii Too". Kinectimals = Nintendogs / Eyepet, Kinect Sports = Wii Sports, dancing games and so on...

"
Sony Move launch titles - EyePet = Nintendogs / Sports Champions = Wii Sports / Singstar Dance etc"

Wrong again.

Move has core games that Kinect doesn't have at all :

- Socom 4

- Killzone 3

- Sorcerer (watch the demo)

Kinect has zero core game, which is only logical since it doesn't work unless you stand up.

15 casual games for Kinect at launch vs 31 mostly core games for Move. Easy choice.

ninty3ds said:

- zero core game (of course there is NO core experience you can make without controller... don't start me on faking a wheel with your hands on Forza, you know the precision is ZERO... 150 ms lag would kill it anyway)

"Fable III will be Kinect enabled, it just wasn't shown.  It's still really early, dev kits were only sent out a year ago.  They will come."

They will come too late then. MS is already laughed at at E3 (go read Neogaf if you want a good laugh).

Fable 3 or any core game can't work with Kinect NOW, that's why it wasn't shown.

Kinect needs you to stand up anyway (see Kotaku or IGN) so who wants to play like that during hours ? Seriously...

The camera can't see you on the couch, a difficult problem MS never solved.

ninty3ds said:

- you must stand up while using it (what were they thinking ? who doesn't sit when he plays or watches movies ? lol)

It just doesn't work. It's a pure financial suicide from MS point, seriously.

Already confirmed as BS by Microsoft.

From Aaron Greenburgs Twitter - "@hasanahmad @sixokay Yes you can sit or stand with Kinect, depends on the game or experience."

Seriously, your trolling needs work.  Try harder!

No, confirmed as true by even Kotaku, a MS fanboy site, and even MS devs themselves.

Greenberg is the guy who said there was no RROD, but feel free to believe in Santa Claus, it's cute.

Try again selling us this crap, it'll be fun.

A203D said:
Squilliam said:

ninty3ds said:

yeah, kinect is a bad idea on so many levels...

- 360 crowd is young hardcore gamers (especially shooters fans), the exact opposite of the Wii crowd... They're risking losing them a lot quicker than they gain a new crowd...

True! Hannah Montana PSP bundle was the end for the PSP.

No, because Sony has a lot of 1st party studios.

Unlike MS. Hence Kinect games were then end of core games, like you could see at E3 : only Gears 27 and Halo 12, nothing else.

Rare is busy making Kinect games, so is every MS 1st party.

- 150 ms lag reported (vs 22 ms on move) : which serious game can you play with 150 ms lag ??

I heard that Killzone 2 was very playable and so was GTA IV and many other titles.

The difference is Kinect games are not FPS, they're party games where fun depends a lot more on the lack of lag.

- 150 $ seriously, nobody will buy it at that price ? Not me, not my friends either, not my mother.

Kevin Butler was very nice to tell you the price of the Kinect peripheral when he came back from the future, pew pew!

Not hard really, go check on every site, it's 150$. Try harder.

- every game is a "Wii Too". Kinectimals = Nintendogs / Eyepet, Kinect Sports = Wii Sports, dancing games and so on...

Don't work up too much of a sweat trying to tell them apart.

It's easy to see the difference. Wii games are better and they were there 4 years ago.

Wii is a success, Kinect is a failure, so it's quite easy to see the difference, you're right.

- zero core game (of course there is NO core experience you can make without controller... don't start me on faking a wheel with your hands on Forza, you know the precision is ZERO... 150 ms lag would kill it anyway)

Didn't you get the memo? Casual is the new core.

For 360 owners, yeah, it's dance party and scratchy the tiger now. Can't wait.

Just kidding, I'll keep my core games, thanks...

- you must stand up while using it (what were they thinking ? who doesn't sit when he plays or watches movies ? lol)

Mistakes do happen. Obviously Microsoft employees were so excited by Kinect that they never managed to sit down and use it.

Even IGN, even Kotaku (a MS fanboy site) acknowledged it didn't work unless you stand up.

Go read and become less ignorant.

It just doesn't work. It's a pure financial suicide from MS point, seriously.

Thats ok. In my opinion the PS2 didn't work as a gaming machine and that managed to sell over 100M.

PS2 had great games , all Kinect has is 15 shovelware Wii copies

Even if it sold, it would still suck hard and being laughed at like it is right now.

Feel free to stand up and reply. You must get used to stand up with Kinect anyway.

Around the Network
Lord Flashheart said:

Turning the console into a wii? Erm guys this is about Kinect not move.

you mean PSeye. no difference that i've seen?

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Lord Flashheart said:

There are 2 differences though. You don't have to stand up to play with PSEye and it costs 20$, not 150 $.

ninty3ds said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Lord Flashheart said:

There are 2 differences though. You don't have to stand up to play with PSEye and it costs 20$, not 150 $.

dito

MS needs to apologize for that in my opinion :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBPB8CANlLU

Give us some real games instead.

I havent seen anything at this conference by either Microsoft or Sony that make me go WOW like the first time I saw Wii Sports. That is the kind of game they need to spark their equipment. I seriously doubt that either Sony or Microsoft have that talent at their disposal