By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did Nintendo just Dreamcast the PSP2?

PSP 2 would be a bad move by sony in this market.

the new battle is between Nintendo and Apple.

hello how are you.

Around the Network

I am loving this thread.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
infamous23 said:

So they've got some hardcore games.  But what happens if those hardcore games are said to be appearing on PSP2 (with stronger tech than PS3) and mini-360 next year with improved graphics?

And the PSP2 launches with brand new exclusive God of War, GTA, GT5, and Killzone games at launch while Mini-360 has new exclusive portable Halo, Fable, and Gears games available at their launch?

I really think the next handheld gen will be the most interesting one yet.

While you might see higher resolution screens and cleaner images in future generations, I doubt you will see games that are dramatically better than what the 3DS produces on any handheld device before 2015; and probably not even until then. From a hardware perspective, having such small devices with the need for reasonable battery life pretty much caps processing power at close to the 3DS; and even if you could produce a super powerful console, from a software perspective the handheld market can not support the $20 Million budgets of HD console games.

Beyond that, if the 3DS is averaging 20 to 30 Million units sold a year with massive software sales which third party publisher is going to divert resources away from it to devote them to the PSP2; especially considering the abysmal track record for game sales the PSP had.

ph4nt said:

Of course PSP2 wasn't unveiled, they haven't had enough time to implement their own 3D and touch screens yet

They've had 5 years to implement touch screens and more than 1 year to implement  3D, but with this lineup it's just a waste of time as 3DS already won. In the words of Arthur Mitchell from the Dexter show "It's already over"

HappySqurriel said:
infamous23 said:

So they've got some hardcore games.  But what happens if those hardcore games are said to be appearing on PSP2 (with stronger tech than PS3) and mini-360 next year with improved graphics?

And the PSP2 launches with brand new exclusive God of War, GTA, GT5, and Killzone games at launch while Mini-360 has new exclusive portable Halo, Fable, and Gears games available at their launch?

While you might see higher resolution screens and cleaner images in future generations, I doubt you will see games that are dramatically better than what the 3DS produces on any handheld device before 2015; and probably not even until then. From a hardware perspective, having such small devices with the need for reasonable battery life pretty much caps processing power at close to the 3DS; and even if you could produce a super powerful console, from a software perspective the handheld market can not support the $20 Million budgets of HD console games.

Beyond that, if the 3DS is averaging 20 to 30 Million units sold a year with massive software sales which third party publisher is going to divert resources away from it to devote them to the PSP2; especially considering the abysmal track record for game sales the PSP had.

This.

The next gen of handhelds is likely going to play out just like the previous gen of consoles. With the PS2 Sony beat Nintendo to the market by more than a year and because of the success of the PS1 had all the developers in their back pocket. The gen was over before the GC (or XBox) even launched.

Sony's only hope is that Nintendo makes an unbelievably bad mistake, because as of right now, the next gen of handhelds is Nintendo's to lose.

Around the Network
infamous23 said:

This is nothing, man... nothing! We have to let go the idea that those games are the BIG games of today.

They need compelling (and new) experiences just like the DS had Brain Age, Professor Layton, Nintendogs and many, many others - plus the touch screen, microphone used in lots of games, 2 screens...

I severely doubt that it will exist now.

Love and tolerate.

ElGranCabeza said:
ph4nt said:

Of course PSP2 wasn't unveiled, they haven't had enough time to implement their own 3D and touch screens yet

They've had 5 years to implement touch screens and more than 1 year to implement  3D, but with this lineup it's just a waste of time as 3DS already won. In the words of Arthur Mitchell from the Dexter show "It's already over"

Oh come on, that was a fine comment. ^_^

Anybody think the already huge third party support for 3DS may partly be because sony has no plans to release a PSP2 and has told developers so, or is it simply because they really are blown away by the 3DS? 

I fully expect a "Monster Hunter 3D" deathblow announcement at TGS.  PSP2/PSPhone is gonna be fucked so hard...