By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
albionus said:
takeru51 said:
albionus said:
takeru51 said:
I think that Pilotwings is incredibly likely as well. Although I didn't think it was a very good game, a lot of people, Matt and Bozon included, did. It will be a game that was around in the 1990's. If it was Kid Icarus, they wouldn't have said you had to be over 12 to appreciate it, since you'd have to be a pretty good deal older than 12 (in system terms) to appreciate Kid Icarus.

I think it was a throwaway comment. Bozon was so excited he just picked an age to represent "children" and 12 is the first that came to mind. I think he could have just as easily said 16 or even 18. That being said a 16 year old, if he was into reading video game magazines and websites, would have heard about the demand for a Kid Icarus game. It only comes up at least once a year in IGN, Nintendo Power, EGM, gamespot, and such.

I think they would wait to see how Pit was received in SSBB first. That's what they did with Fire Emblem, wasn't it?

Normally I would think that it was just a throwaway comment, and that I was reading too much into it, but they seemed to have very specifically chosen a time frame, and it was not the late 1980's.

Perhaps, we won't know for sure until the game is released. At least in Japan though Fire Emblem has been in pretty much continous production. It just seems this is so huge that if it has to be something older than the N64. Getting a new Pilotwings game would be cool for example but it's nothing to be making this much of a fuss about. It could be huge because of something other than the game is really old of course. For example Zelda 64 and Metroid Prime were huge because they were Nintendo's top tier franchises not so much because of the 5 and 7 year waits. However, Nintendo doesn't have any such top tier franchises that would make a huge splash on name alone. So it seems the excitement has to be based on time scale not name. Not saying Kid Icarus isn't a big name, it was back in the day but admittedly fewer gamers remember that each year.

I only doubt Kid Icarus because it's so old.

Looking at this list of Nintendo franchises, Earthbound is the only one that makes sense to me.
http://www.nintendopedia.org/index.php?title=Franchise_articles

Around the Network
naznatips said:
A couple other options: Killer Instinct? Metal Combat? Metal Combat only had 1 game, but it could be I suppose.

I think most likely are still

Mario Paint
Kid Icarus
Pilotwings

Metal Combat?  Never heard of it.  Killer Instinct is a possibility but how many people know of it and care about it?  It was my favorite fighting game in the mid 90's but it's not something I think many gamers, including Matt and Bozon, would much get excited over.  Mario Paint is possible though I can't imagine Bozon dying to tell people about it.  I would also think they would try that out on the DS first.  I'd replace it on the list with Punchout.  I know Matt trashed all boxing games on the Wii but who knows, maybe the studio is something to be excited about.

I think the key comment was that Bozon really wants to tell people about it.  It has to be huge.  Of course, this is assuming they aren't making a mountain out of a molehill.  Though that would ruin their credibility so I'm defaulting to it has to be bigger than Pilotwings, Mario Paint, Earthbound, and such.

anyone think it might be sin and punishment

Wasn't Killer Instinct a Rare game... Meaning not possible?

also just a maybe,a DK platformer

Around the Network

I'm hoping for a Kid Icarus game. They need to get off there asses and finally make one.

takeru51 said:

I only doubt Kid Icarus because it's so old.

Looking at this list of Nintendo franchises, Earthbound is the only one that makes sense to me.
http://www.nintendopedia.org/index.php?title=Franchise_articles

Yes it's old, but then Matt and Bozon are older gamers.  Every generation since the NES gamers have been asking for a Kid Icarus game.  I recall a poll in I believe it was Nintendo Power who late in the N64's life had a poll asking readers what franchise that missed the N64 would they most like to see on its successor.  Metroid was #1, Kid Icarus #2, and I remember R-Type was also on it (since I hated that game).  Prior to the Wii coming out there was a big hoax put on by someone taking some Phoenix something game and claiming it was Capcom (IIRC) making a Kid Icarus game for the Gamecube then the Wii.  It created a lot of buzz because older gamers, who were Nintendo fans at least, have always wanted a Kid Icarus game.  I would think at this point it is the only game left that I could see Matt and Bozon getting very excited over.  Again though who knows, they could be thinking of Urban Champion or Play Action Football for all we know.

Just to add fuel to the fire, here are some Nintendo made games that haven't been made in awhile.

Excite Bike
StarTropics
Hogan's Alley
Killer Instinct (Rare involved)
Kung Fu
Pro Wrestling
Dr. Mario

Why does everyone only mention Nintendo games, Matt disn't say it was a Nintendo franchise.

Earthbound is not going to be huge news, since it's a small franchise outside Japan. Kid Icarus is a single game, not a franchise as such.

I think more in the direction of Mega Man and Castlevania. Enormous franchises that will stop the internet the moment they will come to Wii exclusively.
Donkey Kong platformer is a good guess as well.

Mario paint would suck
Pilotwings would suck
Kid Icarus would rock

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.