By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

...Shit.

Well, uh, most of those games weren't released here in Europe! It's Capcom's fault!

I still think there will be a Wii Megaman though. At least, that's what Inafune said...

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Helios said:
Actually, Matt said "a major classic franchise will be returning to Wii", and that's ALL he said. Nothing about either Nintendo or any revival of dead franchises. Meaning, this is either a third party game, or an old Nintendo franchise.

He also said we would be exited by the people working on the game, so it's probably not just another Nintendo game (Could be Retro working on Kid Icarus though).

Also, Bozon saying you needed to be “older than, like, 12” really doesn't mean much more than the fact that we haven't seen it (on a Nintendo console) recently.

Personally, I'm thinking either Megaman or Chrono Trigger if it's a third party, or Kid Icarus if it's from Nintendo. Could be anything though. And remember, it's not like Matt hasn't over hyped these things before.

Uh, Mega Man ZX Advent is a month old, so you don't have to be older than like a month.  Chrono Trigger doesn't have a chance.  People need to give up on that and let it die.  Okay, let me quote them exactly:

Matt: "What I can tell you is that a major classic franchise is returning."
Bozon: "Quite, quite major."
Matt: "I don't want to go into any details, but we deffinitely do know of a major franchise returning to the Wii.  We're sitting on some things these days, but this one really needs to get out there."
Bozon: "When you told me I was like 'holy crap, I really can't tell anyone.'"
Matt: "Nintendo fans, people who were around during the uh, last couple generations, are going to be pleased as punch."
Bozon: "Pretty much if your older than 12."
Levi:  "Many of you have been begging or hoping for this for a long time." (That one is paraphrased).

As a side note there is apparently a really cool game about Ninjas comming out soon. Also, Pokemon Snap on VC lets you send pictures to friends online.

Okay, so looking at it now, I was wrong, and it could be 3rd party.  It also doesn't seem to be as old as NES.  So, I'm basically back and square one.  Looks to me like they are talking about an SNES or N64 game.

Well don't give up there Naz.  Someone has to crack this given that I gave up at trying to figure out what possible 3rd party game has been in demand for years that would be old, from a studio we would be excited about making the game, something older (how much older?) Nintendo fans would be excited about, and justifies making such a big deal about it.

Helios said:

...Shit.

Well, uh, most of those games weren't released here in Europe! It's Capcom's fault!

I still think there will be a Wii Megaman though. At least, that's what Inafune said...

yeah i also think there will be a wii megaman

Scratch that, I'm not quite done with it yet. Here is a list of N64 and SNES games that were popular to some extent but haven't had sequels:

N64

Pilotwings
Blast Corps
Jet Force Gemini
DK Country

SNES

Actraiser
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Mario Paint
Punch Out (apparantly ruled out by Matt according the IGN boards)

So add it to my previous NES list and that is pretty much what we are looking at here. How much gamers are demanding each franchise or which would get Matt and Bozon so excited I won't argue. I'll just end with that I think the three main possibilities are

1) Retro making Kid Icarus
2) Factor 5 making Pilotwings
3) Monolith making Earthbound

Guys, Pilotwings is coming to the Wii...http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=T000529

Around the Network
albionus said:
Scratch that, I'm not quite done with it yet. Here is a list of N64 and SNES games that were popular to some extent but haven't had sequels:

N64

Pilotwings
Blast Corps
Jet Force Gemini
DK Country

SNES

Actraiser
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Mario Paint

So add it to my previous NES list and that is pretty much what we are looking at here. How much gamers are demanding each franchise or which would get Matt and Bozon so excited I won't argue. I'll just end with that I think the three main possibilities are

It's definitely not Earthbound.  Again, the franchise is STILL GOING.  It also wouldn't be made by Monolith, because Earthbound is still made by HAL and EAD.  Why the hell would they switch developers?

It's Not Earthbound.

There.  

Other than that, it seems Kid Icarus is probably too old.  There are way too many 3rd party franchises out there for me to guess much.

Oh, and solidarii, Pilotwings is not comming to the Wii, and I hope to god you aren't dumb enough to preorder something because it's on Gamespot.  They invent games constantly then just steal your money.

naznatips said:
albionus said:

N64

Pilotwings
Blast Corps
Jet Force Gemini
DK Country

SNES

Actraiser
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Mario Paint

It's definitely not Earthbound.  Again, the franchise is STILL GOING.  It also wouldn't be made by Monolith, because Earthbound is still made by HAL and EAD.  Why the hell would they switch developers?

It's Not Earthbound.

There.  

Other than that, it seems Kid Icarus is probably too old.  There are way too many 3rd party franchises out there for me to guess much.

Oh, and solidarii, Pilotwings is not comming to the Wii, and I hope to god you aren't dumb enough to preorder something because it's on Gamespot.  They invent games constantly then just steal your money.

Um, that is not Gamespot, that is Gamestop...

And Gamestop(not Gamespot) does not invent games and does not steal people's money. I have worked for them before and I currently have friends that are managers at some of their locations. They never post a product online that is not real...

Ok you can sit down Naz :P.

Games have switched developers before so it wouldn't be the first time if they gave Earthbound to a new studio for a console version while the former studio continues making the handheld version (which are Japanese only anyways so western gamers would be excited about a revival to us Earthbound).  That would seem reasonable in this case since Brownie Brown only makes handheld games and Hal hasn't made a console game in over 4 years while Monolith has made many console RPG's and is now a Nintendo 2nd party.

The problem with the 3rd party analysis is that it would have to be a major game that Nintendo fans sepcifically have been asking for that hasn't been made in 8 or so years (for westerners at least). Other than Rare's N64 games and a handful of Square-Enix SNES games I can't find any.

So basically pretty much every game doesn't satisfy all of their comments. Even Kid Icarus, which I think is by far the most likely one (it also seems to be the general consensus of other forums, comment threads, and web polls), is something as you've pointed out that doesn't meet their time related comments if taken literally.

Bark said:
Just to add fuel to the fire, here are some Nintendo made games that haven't been made in awhile.

Excite Bike

One of the best Wii games released -- Excite Truck -- was released at Wii launch.  Give it a try.  It's really, really fun.

Also, if this is the game Matt and Bozon were talking about, they said "You'll be surprised at who is developing the game"

Now, Paradigm Entertainment developed the first two, before being acquired by Atari in 2000.

In 2006, Atari sold Paradigm Entertainment to THQ.

A few months ago, THQ became an official Nintendo licensed developer (Something standard?), and with it brough rumors that THQ could be working on a Nintendo franchise.

Pilotwings Wii seems very likely.

Pilotwings Wii discussion thread.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=11165&start=0#end