By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Oh NO... New 360 Propietary HDD

I dont think anyone needs more than 100 gigs so its no biggie.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network
Mistershine said:
Fab_GS said:
A Bad Clown said:

You guys do realize if you recover your gamertag all your data transfers, right? Or there's always the cable.....

Even savegames?

No.

Hmmm... MS should really have thought of a method to connect current HDDs to the new redsigned console, or at least transfer all data relatively painlessly.

How much are we going to have to down for this proprietarydata transfer cable? $50?

$19.99 for the transfer cable.  They say it in a video at Engadget.com.

Around the Network

I don't see why anyone should be surprised, there's no reason at all as to why MS should revoke complete control of various accessories for their console...

BHR-3 said:

In a big announcement at E3 today we saw the new Xbox 360 Slim looking all shiny and black coming with wireless N, 250 Gb HDD and a much smaller case. It is available now for all those gamers looking for new hardware but in a look behind the scenes Aaron Greenberg showed how the HDD worked. The HDD on the new system is completely different than the previous iterations and is not a normal laptop HDD that can be easily removed via a bay in the back of the system. Aaron also showed the interface for the Kinect on the back of the system.

What does this mean for gamers? You will not be able to switch out your HDD easily and upgrade to a 1 Tb drive or bigger without buying it directly from Microsoft. The big HDD is cool but it is a bit of a shame that they went the propietary route and did not leave it as a normal laptop HDD like the Playstation 3.

We will be trying to get more specs and hands on with it shortly so stay tuned for more info.

http://dualshockers.com/2010/06/14/xbox-360-slim-propietary-hdd/

how will old 360 gamers tranfer copy protected games over if they buy the new one?

They'll do it with flash drives, because on the 360, unlike the PS3 or Wii, you can save and install games, saves, and profiles onto flash drives, and play them on any console you like, and you can also move them from on Xbox 360 HDD to another.

This has been common knowledge for a long long time.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Why buy a transfer cable when you can just a flash drive? I just restored a 120 gigger with a flash drive, took an hour, and was free. This is WHY MS unlocked flash drives. It is free, easy, and painless to restore your data. Nothing on there is gonna be bigger than 16gb, and as for your game installs, reinstall them ffs.....

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Well now that the 360 supports USB memory units, I can live without the hard drive.

Most of us just use it for save data and XBLA titles anyhow. We can assume MS makes a a shit load of money if they are gonna continue this proprietary crap.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

JaggedSac said:

$19.99 for the transfer cable.  They say it in a video at Engadget.com.

Is it the same transfer cable that you got with buying the 120GB Hard drive separately for the old 360?