By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Oh NO... New 360 Propietary HDD

In a big announcement at E3 today we saw the new Xbox 360 Slim looking all shiny and black coming with wireless N, 250 Gb HDD and a much smaller case. It is available now for all those gamers looking for new hardware but in a look behind the scenes Aaron Greenberg showed how the HDD worked. The HDD on the new system is completely different than the previous iterations and is not a normal laptop HDD that can be easily removed via a bay in the back of the system. Aaron also showed the interface for the Kinect on the back of the system.

What does this mean for gamers? You will not be able to switch out your HDD easily and upgrade to a 1 Tb drive or bigger without buying it directly from Microsoft. The big HDD is cool but it is a bit of a shame that they went the propietary route and did not leave it as a normal laptop HDD like the Playstation 3.

We will be trying to get more specs and hands on with it shortly so stay tuned for more info.

http://dualshockers.com/2010/06/14/xbox-360-slim-propietary-hdd/

how will old 360 gamers tranfer copy protected games over if they buy the new one?

Play Me

Around the Network

Like usual? Isn't there a software to do that anyways? To transfer licenses, it's on the Xbox site.

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

does this use the same HDD as current xboxes?

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

oooo so the new HDD is gonna cost more than the usual HDD??

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

That is what you get with closed systems. Anywho, back to my 1TB HDD with 6gb/s speed for just $99.

Around the Network

I didnt expect MS to change this.  Unfortunate.

I can now see why MS made USB flash drives compatible with the 360.  Old 360 and new 360 harddrives will not be compatible with each other so you can just you a thumb drive that you have laying around if you want to go over to a friends and not have to recover your account.

You guys do realize if you recover your gamertag all your data transfers, right? Or there's always the cable.....

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*
A Bad Clown said:

You guys do realize if you recover your gamertag all your data transfers, right? Or there's always the cable.....

Even savegames?

Fab_GS said:
A Bad Clown said:

Even savegames?

No.