By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WORLD EXCLUSIVE: SEGA's Next Generation Arcade/Console Plans Unveiled!

RUMOR : NEPTUNE/SEGADRIVE To Officially Be Christened "SEGA 3D"?

Today a long time associate of this blog made contact with us and revealed some startling information.

We were told that the upcoming SEGA console currently going under the codenames "NEPTUNE" "SEGADRIVE" has officially received a final product title.

According to our source, upper management of SEGA SAMMY Holdings have officially settled on the title "SEGA 3D".

We were told that SEGA shall market the new system as the world's first stereoscopic 3D games system. Indeed, head of SEGA's worldwide consumer business Naoya Tsurumi late last month made the proclamation "I believe 3D will become a big wave".

Current games consoles available on the market such as the PS3 are only capable of 3D by heavily degrading the on-screen graphics, resolution and frame rates by as much as 50%, as these systems were not initially designed for stereoscopic 3D when they were in development in the first half of last decade.

If SEGA launches in 2011 as is currently expected, and manages to get a 1-2 year true stereoscopic 3D advantage on both Microsoft and Sony, then the company may find itself as the undisputed worldwide leader in the console market, a position it has not held in 15 years.

RECAP : NEPTUNE/SEGADRIVE Specifications

Today SEGANEWSWIRE would like to present it's readers a recap of the NEPTUNE/SEGADRIVE spec sheet.

So without further ado -

Central Processor 

Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield

- 2.8GHz 

- Quad Core

- 8MB L3 Cache

- Hyper-Threading

Co-Processor 

Nvidia PhysX P2 PPU

- 2 TFLOPS

Graphics Processor 

Nvidia GeForce GTX 470

- Shader Model 5.0 Compliant

- Hardware Based Tesselation

Audio Processor 

Digital Signal Processor

- 32-Bit

- 192KHz

- 7.1 Channel

System Memory 

4 Gigabytes 

- Unified Memory Architecture

- 384-Bit GDDR5

- 177GB/s 

Disc Drive 

Blu-Ray

Storage 

120GB 2.5" HDD

Connectivity 

802.11n Wi-Fi

Operating System 

Linux

Source and http://seganewswire.webs.com/apps/blog/

Around the Network

Zach Morris. /eyeroll

WOW it would be so awesome if SEGA again entered the hardware business! 

Lastgengamer said:

Why do you hate Sega?

So... a PC?

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Lastgengamer said:

Why do you hate Sega?

That wasn't sarcasm it's my genuine excitement honestly :)

Although is SEGA really in a good position financially to reenter the home console market? I hope so.       

Wow, speculation really goes wild... how much it would cost something like that, also geforce GTX 470 is a graphic card not a gpu......

Rainbird said:

So... a PC?

My thoughts exactly!

However I doubt those specs are true, that "console" wuold be VERY expensive and power hungry 

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

It seems more a Lindbergh substitute, for amusement parks, than a home console.

using a gtx 470 doesn't make any sense to me. the card is way to energy-inefficient and runs way to hot for a small case. this console would be extremely noisy! ...not to mention how expensive it'd be.