By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

To the guy mentioning American football and the 300lbs black guy breaking you...ROFL. Go play Rugby for a change where you have little to no protection and the action happens at a constant pace. I played as a running back in high school and it was fun, I was only about 165lbs at the time getting hit by the senior 190lbs . Funny enough years later I tried Rugby with a few scotish and brit friends for the hell of it and have gotten more broken bones than I would have wanted, so seriously stop the stupid American ethnocentric (although there is no such thing as a true american unless you happen to be a native driven off from your land) mentality.

Back on topic TRUE football is a wonderful sport. I lived in Colombia for roughly 6 years and enjoyed it so much. I got the privelage to live with an aunt who was from a lower class neighborhood (yes I meant privelage). I made great friends there and learned to play without shoes (sucked ad the beginning). The goals would be set up with 2 broken bricks on each side with a miniature ball (hard as hell too). Eventually I ended up playing as a defender in a team and worked my way up. At 16 me and my team managed to take a tournament before I came back to the states. I stopped playing around the age of 21 (i'm 29 now). I do miss alot of the players back then such as Paolo Maldini (AC Milan was the best team and my favorite at the time), Eric Cantona (from Manchester United), George Weah (I believe from Zaire or Zimbabwe), Roberto Baggio, Salvatore Schillaci (I know I mispelled it horribly), Carlos Valderrama, Batistuta, Hernan Crespo, Michael Owen (when he was like 17), Bebeto, Roberto Carlos (in his prime), etc, etc.

P.S. In USA 94 I still think Colombia had the absolute best team going into the World Cup but could not play together well as a team despite so many stars: Carlos Valderrama (one of the best number 10's of all time), Faustino Asprilla (took Parma to win the UEFA and one of Europes top goal scorers at the time), Oscar Cordoba (one of South America's best goalkeepers playing in America de Cali, which was one of South America's top teams at the time), Jorge Bermudez (one of the best defenders in South America who also played in America de Cali), etc, etc, etc. Don't forget this is the same team that beat Argentina 5-0 in Argentinian soil (Argentina had heavy artillary at the time too with Ortega, Batistuta and Crespo).

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
the1te said:
MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:
MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:

It wasnt their idea.

Who cares...? They are one country alone on a planet of football lovers.  I dont want them anywhere near the game... they'd only ruin it.

Why analyse it... it really doesnt matter... not even a little bit...

Dont need them.

Are those tears I see coming from your eyes? Don't cry now.

Boo hoo.

Which bit of what I said is wrong?

Did they invent the game?.... no

Are they alone in their indifference?.... yes

Does it matter?.... no

Its kind of the same in motorsport with the Indy series v F1.

How about the idea that America would ruin the game if we started liking it on a large scale? Need a Kleenex, Mr. Tears? Gonna start crying soon? Oh wait, you already have.

Boo hoo hoo.

Yep, cause bigger countries means better players, right?

No.

First of all, many americans are overweight, which means they wouldnt get as many players to choose from. Yes, they would still have more players than, probably any other nation in the world.

But...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lzqhTl7zWkI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lzqhTl7zWkI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

How does it feel to lose to a country, with a population of 5.500.000?

You wont always find strength in numbers.

Edit: meh, embed didnt work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzqhTl7zWkI

The difference between Obesisty in the US and UK is only like 10%.  The population difference....  a bit higher.

Population is VERY important to fielding a good team.  Money, Population and caring are why Brazil are always at the top.

They're rich enough, Care enough, and have a huge population.... with a lot of poor people may I add who work hard because they see it as a great way out.

Agreed. I was born and raised in NY and I do love the opportunities in the US but I can't stand ignorance and stupidity. Although I am not a fan of Mexico for all the trash they bring into this country, I couldn't help but laugh when they beat the US baseball team, which we invented. Or when Puerto Rico beat the US in basketball rofl. I do find it funny that the US calls the big baseball finals the "World Series", when we are the only one competing in it.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

You know Canadians actually invented basketball though Demonfox? Not that I don't agree with you. It was nice to see our Basketball and Baseball team be humbled so. 

Well, might as well throw in my two cents as well...

I figure it has more to do with the roots to grow haven't been layed down effectively in the US. This leads to a majority who, at first glance, view the scoring in soccer as not much going on in the game. If the roots are there for the sport to grow, which I believe are albeit very slowly, folks would most likely be able to see there's more to the game than scoring.I believe we Americans moreover associate score with progress in the games and can gather that at first glance when, say, checking game summaries.

There are a few folks here from abroad who are making generalizations about Americans. I really don't think you guys know what's going on in our heads or the reasons for it... o_0

The BuShA owns all!

demonfox13 said:

To the guy mentioning American football and the 300lbs black guy breaking you...ROFL. Go play Rugby for a change where you have little to no protection and the action happens at a constant pace. I played as a running back in high school and it was fun, I was only about 165lbs at the time getting hit by the senior 190lbs . Funny enough years later I tried Rugby with a few scotish and brit friends for the hell of it and have gotten more broken bones than I would have wanted, so seriously stop the stupid American ethnocentric (although there is no such thing as a true american unless you happen to be a native driven off from your land) mentality.

Back on topic TRUE football is a wonderful sport. I lived in Colombia for roughly 6 years and enjoyed it so much. I got the privelage to live with an aunt who was from a lower class neighborhood (yes I meant privelage). I made great friends there and learned to play without shoes (sucked ad the beginning). The goals would be set up with 2 broken bricks on each side with a miniature ball (hard as hell too). Eventually I ended up playing as a defender in a team and worked my way up. At 16 me and my team managed to take a tournament before I came back to the states. I stopped playing around the age of 21 (i'm 29 now). I do miss alot of the players back then such as Paolo Maldini (AC Milan was the best team and my favorite at the time), Eric Cantona (from Manchester United), George Weah (I believe from Zaire or Zimbabwe), Roberto Baggio, Salvatore Schillaci (I know I mispelled it horribly), Carlos Valderrama, Batistuta, Hernan Crespo, Michael Owen (when he was like 17), Bebeto, Roberto Carlos (in his prime), etc, etc.

P.S. In USA 94 I still think Colombia had the absolute best team going into the World Cup but could not play together well as a team despite so many stars: Carlos Valderrama (one of the best number 10's of all time), Faustino Asprilla (took Parma to win the UEFA and one of Europes top goal scorers at the time), Oscar Cordoba (one of South America's best goalkeepers playing in America de Cali, which was one of South America's top teams at the time), Jorge Bermudez (one of the best defenders in South America who also played in America de Cali), etc, etc, etc. Don't forget this is the same team that beat Argentina 5-0 in Argentinian soil (Argentina had heavy artillary at the time too with Ortega, Batistuta and Crespo).

Actually if you ask people who play both... they'll tell you American football is WAY more brutal.

It's not just the size of the guys, but the kinds of tackling aloud in the NFL.

Compare proffesional Football and Rugby players years after they've played and you can really see the difference.

Even with the pads... the ex NFL players are FAR worse off.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
demonfox13 said:

Actually if you ask people who play both... they'll tell you American football is WAY more brutal.

It's not just the size of the guys, but the kinds of tackling aloud in the NFL.

Compare proffesional Football and Rugby players years after they've played and you can really see the difference.

Even with the pads... the ex NFL players are FAR worse off.

Yeah someone should show them footage of Earl Campbell. He only played in the NFL for 8 years....

mrstickball said:
TomasPL said:

i would go with americans suck at football. that's why they copied rugby and named it football but were too scared so all handegg players have so much safety gear on them you can hardly know that there's a human under all of it. seriously american football players are pussies

that's how you play rugby http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcGNfG6oawI

If you think American football is for wimps, I highly suggest you come try out for a semi-pro team. See what you think after some beefy 300lb black man has made you his woman.

I think this is the biggest problem of most american sports. You need to be big, strong or tall. In football there are place for everyone. There is much more diversity. People from 60 kg to 100 kg. From 1.60m to 2m. For example Maradona is 1.63 m (5 ft 4 in), Peter Crouch - 2.01 m (6 ft 7 in) - position: Striker.Jorge Campos is 1.68 m (5 ft 6 in), Edwin van der Sar - 1.97 m (6 ft 5.5 in) - position: Goalkeeper. How many 1.60 m Centers can you find in NBA? How many 1.60 m players you can find in NBA on any position at all?

BrayanA said:
mrstickball said:
TomasPL said:

i would go with americans suck at football. that's why they copied rugby and named it football but were too scared so all handegg players have so much safety gear on them you can hardly know that there's a human under all of it. seriously american football players are pussies

that's how you play rugby http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcGNfG6oawI

If you think American football is for wimps, I highly suggest you come try out for a semi-pro team. See what you think after some beefy 300lb black man has made you his woman.

I think this is the biggest problem of most american sports. You need to be big, strong or tall. In football there are place for everyone. There is much more diversity. People from 60 kg to 100 kg. From 1.60m to 2m. For example Maradona is 1.63 m (5 ft 4 in), Peter Crouch - 2.01 m (6 ft 7 in) - position: Striker.Jorge Campos is 1.68 m (5 ft 6 in), Edwin van der Sar - 1.97 m (6 ft 5.5 in) - position: Goalkeeper. How many 1.60 m Centers can you find in NBA? How many 1.60 m players you can find in NBA on any position at all?

You can even be armless and play soccer. What other sport can you do that? I do think most American understands soccer (The term "Soccer Mom") it just we find our hands more interesting  than our feet. In NFL football the stars are often QB and WR for this reason.  In Baseball the main star is the pitcher and his good arm.

Smidlee said:

You can even be armless and play soccer. What other sport can you do that? I do think most American understands soccer (The term "Soccer Mom") it just we find our hands more interesting  than our feet. In NFL football the stars are often QB and WR for this reason.  In Baseball the main star is the pitcher and his good arm.

Wow, this has to be the most retarded comment I have ever read. But hey, let me use your logic with this one. Football is so much better because people that can't use their legs can still throw a football. Hell, they can even throw a baseball or a basketball!!! Your logic is extremely flawed. Any handicapped person can find a sport they can play, but of course you had to limit it only to "armless" people. So tell me again, how many people do you see playing soccer on a wheelchair?

KylieDog said:

For one thing the US is going to have trouble adopting a sport whos name they stole.

I think football is too fast paced for americans also, its 90 minutes of play interupted by only one break where as in handegg they are constantly stopping and starting, google says americans are fat so they are never going to play a game that doesn't give them breaks every other minute.

Really though look at a number of sports that are popular, Handegg, Ice Hockey, Wrestling.  Americans seem to like fake violence mixed with drama.  I mean you look at wrestling with its fake violence and drama trashtalking and you look at the others and its the same.  There is a reason padding is worn on these other sports and its be be violent with 'hard' tackles or fights breaking out but at the same time false, just like wrestling.  Fun fact:  If a wrestler were to ever use a handegg star gimmick the world would probably implode.

Wow, let me educate you on the name football and where it comes from. We call it football here in North America because:

1)The length of the ball used is close or a tad over one foot. A foot is an official measure here in the United States
2)We carry a one foot sized ball across the field

Your soccer crap, invited by England, is called football by the rest of the world. Because you use a ball with your foot. Spanish speaking countries like to call it futbol. So what does fut or bol mean in spanish?!? Absolutely nothing. 

In conclusion, we have a more valid reason to call our sport football than the rest of the world. Why? Because we used smart thinking to name our sport. We didn't think like a caveman would do. The English on the other hand.....oog oog, foot ugk ugk ball "scratches head"