By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dragon Quest IX Hype Thread - Target July 11th

I didn't kno you liked DQ Khuutra!

@Kenryoku

When are you making the OFFICIAL THREAD or do we use this thread as the Official Thread now?

@Lestatdark

Ragnar or not TORNEKO RULES!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:

@Kenryoku

When are you making the OFFICIAL THREAD or do we use this thread as the Official Thread now?

@Lestatdark

You got that right XD 

I actually stayed with him in chapter 3 all the way until someone sold a Cautery Sword. At that time, he was so filthy rich, I don't know why he kept working in that shabby weapon store

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

I'd be willing to participate online with any and all people who wanted to.  That is, after I fully complete the main single player campaign.  And seeing as how I usually take my time with DQ games...that could take upwards of 150 hours.  Dragon Quest VIII took me 168 hours the first time.  Mostly due to my love of collecting and customizing items.

But seeing as how Dragon Quest IX is a handheld game and they've already said the gameplay is quicker, it probably won't take quite that long.

Also, to enter into the current topic at hand, my favorite Dragon Quest is actually Dragon Quest VIII.  Though I've played them all (aside from VI, which I'll be playing when it comes out here).

I'm the same as well. DQVIII took me almost 150 to complete 100%. Most of that time was leveling up in Howling Mountain (that area acessible with the Godbird), to get my MC to 65. Dragon Soul was an amazing move, but Gigagash was also spectacular. 

Monster Arena was also amazing, but once you got the My Three Golems team, it's pretty much a walk in the park. 

If DQIX is a more westernized DQ game, then it wouldn't be crazy to think that the overall time to completely finish the main quest and get every item will be higher than in previous DQs.

When Nintendo talked about trying to get the game to be more 'westernized', they were talking about it from a localization point of view.  On the flipside, Yuji Horii has been trying to do subtle things to make the series more popular (IE: Open) for western gamers since Dragon Quest VIII.  From making the game fully 3D in Dragon Quest VIII to removing random battles in Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker.  But these things have never meant to radically alter the overall style and gameplay of Dragon Quest.  I don't think we're going to see 'Fallout: Dragon Quest' anytime soon.  The series is one of the best at taking what worked previously and just improving it in the next title.

In hignsight, a lot of the improvements Yuji Horii has been specifically trying to add to the series seemingly trying to get western gamers involved in the series have been lost due to SquareEnix completely ignoring the series in the west (no marketing) and some rather lackluster localizations (total name changes for characters, silly accents and puns, alteration or lack of party chat in some games, etc).  In short, Dragon Quest is not being handled at all well outside of Japan, despite certain games (Joker, Swords, Remakes) having specific features that target the western market and not the japanese market (voice acting, party chat, character customization, etc).

Is this yet another example of a group in SquareEnix working to cater to the fanbase while the 'bigwigs' are fighting against them?

darthdevidem01 said:

@Kenryoku

@Lestatdark

Heh, I thought this was the official thread.

Also, Torneko does rule.  Anyone who can be a 300 pound Merchant and have that much devotion from his wife must have something going for him.

But my favorite character is still Alena.  There's still no one better for hunting Metal Slimes in all of Drago Quest.  Just equip her with Poison Needle and added with her Super high chance for Criticals and the fact that she's even faster than Metal Slimes after lvl 60....she's just overpowered.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
lestatdark said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

I'd be willing to participate online with any and all people who wanted to.  That is, after I fully complete the main single player campaign.  And seeing as how I usually take my time with DQ games...that could take upwards of 150 hours.  Dragon Quest VIII took me 168 hours the first time.  Mostly due to my love of collecting and customizing items.

But seeing as how Dragon Quest IX is a handheld game and they've already said the gameplay is quicker, it probably won't take quite that long.

Also, to enter into the current topic at hand, my favorite Dragon Quest is actually Dragon Quest VIII.  Though I've played them all (aside from VI, which I'll be playing when it comes out here).

I'm the same as well. DQVIII took me almost 150 to complete 100%. Most of that time was leveling up in Howling Mountain (that area acessible with the Godbird), to get my MC to 65. Dragon Soul was an amazing move, but Gigagash was also spectacular. 

Monster Arena was also amazing, but once you got the My Three Golems team, it's pretty much a walk in the park. 

If DQIX is a more westernized DQ game, then it wouldn't be crazy to think that the overall time to completely finish the main quest and get every item will be higher than in previous DQs.

When Nintendo talked about trying to get the game to be more 'westernized', they were talking about it from a localization point of view.  On the flipside, Yuji Horii has been trying to do subtle things to make the series more popular (IE: Open) for western gamers since Dragon Quest VIII.  From making the game fully 3D in Dragon Quest VIII to removing random battles in Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker.  But these things have never meant to radically alter the overall style and gameplay of Dragon Quest.  I don't think we're going to see 'Fallout: Dragon Quest' anytime soon.  The series is one of the best at taking what worked previously and just improving it in the next title.

In hignsight, a lot of the improvements Yuji Horii has been specifically trying to add to the series seemingly trying to get western gamers involved in the series have been lost due to SquareEnix completely ignoring the series in the west (no marketing) and some rather lackluster localizations (total name changes for characters, silly accents and puns, alteration or lack of party chat in some games, etc).  In short, Dragon Quest is not being handled at all well outside of Japan, despite certain games (Joker, Swords, Remakes) having specific features that target the western market and the not japanese market (voice acting, party chat, character customization, etc).

Is this yet another example of a group in SquareEnix working to cater to the fanbase while the 'bigwigs' are fighting against them?

Dragon Quest's handling in the west has always been an issue, even since Enix days. It's a shame though, I don't know why they have so little faith in western gamers when it comes to, arguably, their biggest franchise. 

I agree with Dragon Quest's best feature is the ability to improve on the foundations that each previous game built, that's it's soul essence. Not only it improves on those features, they add new twists to them in order to feel fresh. You never play a DQ game and have that feeling of "Oh, I saw this before". 

That's a very rare quality, that I've only seen in a very restrict number of RPG series in my video-gaming life.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

DQIX is my most wanted game this year (not counting MI2SE:LeCR, CivV and - provided they come this year - TLS, ZWii, GSDS ,TLG, DQVI).

No, seriously: Dragon Quest games are incredibly charming. Day 1.

Around the Network

I was listening to the Symphonic Suite on YouTube and Sugiyama has delivered yet again.

"ut some of the changes to the games design by the Dragon Quest staff were done specifically to help this.  Such as the added emphasis on multiplayer questing, lack of random battles and greater focus on customizing your characters"

With this news I'm hoping they are using the earlier world combat engine rather than the classic random zoom engine. Ideally I think the choice would be best for single player games, but action for multiplayer. Either way That's what I'm hoping, but I'm still iffy, but I'm also a little more hopeful now that there is more focus on multiplayer questing and lack of random battles statement.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

The E3 TRAILER!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-dragon-quest/101037

@kenryoku

Ok so what are the rules for SPOILERS going to be in this thread?

darthdevidem01 said:

The E3 TRAILER!

@kenryoku

What!  America actually got a good trailer for a Dragon Quest game!?  Excuse me while I faint.  Now let's just hope Nintendo shows that trailer off during their E3 conference...

@Darth

There's really no rules in this thread.  Can't really stop anyone from posting things.  Though it might be considerate if people didn't post content about the games story/features outside of general features before it came out.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
darthdevidem01 said:

The E3 TRAILER!

@kenryoku

What!  America actually got a good trailer for a Dragon Quest game!?  Excuse me while I faint.  Now let's just hope Nintendo shows that trailer off during their E3 conference...

@Darth

There's really no rules in this thread.  Can't really stop anyone from posting things.  Though it might be considerate if people didn't post content about the games story/features outside of general features before it came out.

Well in the FFXIII official thread (and in the MGS4 one 2 years ago) basically We told people if they posted spoilers they'd be banned by mods. (harsh but useful and effective)

Cus Ideally I'd like to post here about my impressions (in a non spoiler way) while playing the game, asking for help on quests and so on without the fear of seeing story spoilers. It'll be fun to do that with everyone here.

So closer to release you could just say please don't say anything story related until at least 2 - 3 months after the games release.

BTw here are the latest Pre-Order Numbers for DQIX:

52 Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies DS 6 3,225 13,316

Its rate of going up WILL rise as marketing kicks in and so on. Week 1 could be around 75K