By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony On Kill Streak May Be Unloading All Guns At This Years E3

GodOfWar_3ever said:
Munkeh111 said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Severance said:
MDMAniac said:

Boring line-up, to be honest. It is all sequels, and what's worse, mostly sequels to games which had somewhat disappointing sales. They can't kill anyone with such lineup, because with exception of GT5 none of this will be a huge system seller. Even Halo Reach has more chance to grab new ppl to xbox install base than those titles, seriously.

Do you play sales or do you play games?

i play games.

I play sales actually, cause when a game sells well I can play it's sequel, and also play other games made by said developer cause they were able to stay in business lol

I have some concern about sales, but inFamous does not have spectacular sales, but it has enough sales to justify a sequel, and it will justify another one. More importantly, it is awesome

Exactly...as long as they've confirmed the sequels...who cares if the sales were disappointing ?

Now the only thing we have to worry about are the sales of these games that are about to be released.

Well I am fairly certain an established sequel will sell even better, so I am not worried about a franchise starting

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Severance said:
MDMAniac said:

Boring line-up, to be honest. It is all sequels, and what's worse, mostly sequels to games which had somewhat disappointing sales. They can't kill anyone with such lineup, because with exception of GT5 none of this will be a huge system seller. Even Halo Reach has more chance to grab new ppl to xbox install base than those titles, seriously.

i play games.

I play sales actually, cause when a game sells well I can play it's sequel, and also play other games made by said developer cause they were able to stay in business lol

I have some concern about sales, but inFamous does not have spectacular sales, but it has enough sales to justify a sequel, and it will justify another one. More importantly, it is awesome

Well if EA set a good benchmark then 1.1 million across 2 versions breaks even, inFamous crossed that line, and didn't have the extra 360 development costs, add ot that they can reuse many assets in inFamous 2 while if they go on to make something like Sly 4 it would mean they'd have to make totally new game assets, so inFamous 2 is the better financial situation since the costs would likely be lower than the first and might sell a million again.

Though I hated the first I hope the second game can actually take a lesson from other super hero games and make me feel like I actually have power

But honestly most games don't even get inFamous level sales even across 2 platforms and then their developers are SOL, but it also helps that a first party is publishing the title since they don't have to pay for the license then so it cuts out the middle man as well, the benchmark for 1st party is actually lower than that for everyone else so they have the potential to make the most money or at least break even at a lower sales point.

And that was my point, I play sales when I want another game in the series or want a company to stay in business, first parties aren't going anywhere soon, even if any one of them dropped out of the console race they could still compete with software, though that would put them in the same place as every other 3rd party developer/publisher for next gen, which means software sales mean everything lol

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Munkeh111 said:

Well if EA set a good benchmark then 1.1 million across 2 versions breaks even, inFamous crossed that line, and didn't have the extra 360 development costs, add ot that they can reuse many assets in inFamous 2 while if they go on to make something like Sly 4 it would mean they'd have to make totally new game assets, so inFamous 2 is the better financial situation since the costs would likely be lower than the first and might sell a million again.

Though I hated the first I hope the second game can actually take a lesson from other super hero games and make me feel like I actually have power

But honestly most games don't even get inFamous level sales even across 2 platforms and then their developers are SOL, but it also helps that a first party is publishing the title since they don't have to pay for the license then so it cuts out the middle man as well, the benchmark for 1st party is actually lower than that for everyone else so they have the potential to make the most money or at least break even at a lower sales point.

And that was my point, I play sales when I want another game in the series or want a company to stay in business, first parties aren't going anywhere soon, even if any one of them dropped out of the console race they could still compete with software though that would but them in the same place as every other 3rd party developer/publisher for next gen, which means software sales mean everything lol

Sucker Punch are quite a small team, and whilst they are not actually first party, they will still be in a better position to EA, and so should have made some nice money. I do agree that that was the one slightly bad point about the game, I did not quite feel invincible by the end of the first game, which is what I like to feel with any game that allows levelling up, and I think they are working on that

Yeah software sales are very very important, actually they have been for Sony for a while with their losses on hardware, but good games sell in almost every case. Uncharted 1 sold great, because it was great and it just kept on selling, and this is the case with most good games, though of course, there are one or two that don't. So ultimately, create a top quality game, and the sales will come

Munkeh111 said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Munkeh111 said:

And that was my point, I play sales when I want another game in the series or want a company to stay in business, first parties aren't going anywhere soon, even if any one of them dropped out of the console race they could still compete with software though that would but them in the same place as every other 3rd party developer/publisher for next gen, which means software sales mean everything lol

Sucker Punch are quite a small team, and whilst they are not actually first party, they will still be in a better position to EA, and so should have made some nice money. I do agree that that was the one slightly bad point about the game, I did not quite feel invincible by the end of the first game, which is what I like to feel with any game that allows levelling up, and I think they are working on that

Yeah software sales are very very important, actually they have been for Sony for a while with their losses on hardware, but good games sell in almost every case. Uncharted 1 sold great, because it was great and it just kept on selling, and this is the case with most good games, though of course, there are one or two that don't. So ultimately, create a top quality game, and the sales will come

That is something we really do agree on, it's not going to always give you gangbuster sales, but gamers are a social crowd, if you make something good with enough appeal to able to be marketed towards a decent demographic then the game will sell.  Quality sells be it a FPS, minigame collection, open world super hero game, or on rails shooter.

It rather irritates me having third parties not see that black and white truth and try to blame various things other than themselves for making a shoddy product lol

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

CGI-Quality said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Severance said:
MDMAniac said:

i play games.

Don't tell me you're honestly defending MDManiac's post...........? :P

Seriously, he wasn't speaking in a manner of hoping a game sells well enough for a sequel, but claiming that somehow those PS3 exclusives are of lesser value because a 360 franchise can outsell them and because they're just "sequels".

I get your stance, but Severance post makes sense in that context.

Nah I wasn't at all, I was just making a point to Severance cause the statement "I play games not sales" is starting to get old, I really wish that was true but game companies aren't charities, they don't make games just to make them, they have to keep their kids fed and a roof over their heads and the owners of every company invest their time and money to be able to profit in the end, it's a business.

Around the Network
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Munkeh111 said:

That is something we really do agree on, it's not going to always give you gangbuster sales, but gamers are a social crowd, if you make something good with enough appeal to able to be marketed towards a decent demographic then the game will sell.  Quality sells be it a FPS, minigame collection, open world super hero game, or on rails shooter.

It rather irritates me having third parties not see that black and white truth and try to blame various things other than themselves for making a shoddy product lol

Yeah, there are so many games that you look at and think, why would they release something that shoddy? Like Alpha Proticol, from what I have read, there are just so many flaws in that game that you would have thought they could solve before releasing it, and as a result it will suffer in the sales

Look at FIFA 10, admittedly sales for the franchise have increased every year this gen, but it is on course to be the best selling FIFA game ever, because it is the best FIFA game ever

MDMAniac said:

So you think it's boring because these games are sequels and will be no system sellers?! WHAT?!?! Pure logic here.....

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

axumblade said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:

Please please please please please please please please announce a new Jak for Ps3 by Naughty Dog please please please !

Have I said please enough ?

Hyping infamous and now jak? Are you trying to get on my good side?

So....am I in your good side now ?

Jak was the series that made me buy a PS2. A HD version would PWN hard...

imo, its so much more fun than Ratchet and Clank (though I've only played ToD)

The only one I'm thrilled about of those is the last guardian atm.

axumblade said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:

Please please please please please please please please announce a new Jak for Ps3 by Naughty Dog please please please !

Have I said please enough ?

Hyping infamous and now jak? Are you trying to get on my good side?

I can always trash infamous and get on your bad side

But I too would like to see a new Jak, now that the nonsense of making Jak a darker character is over, maybe they can get back to the origins of Jak which I really enjoyed, I just want them to add in some of the great level design they did for Uncharted 1 & 2 which was my only issue with the Jak games, they always fell a little flat level design wise, but it seems to me Naughty Dog was trying to fit in with the Ratchets and the GTAs of the time, while now they're doing their own thing and doing it well haha.