By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Morgan Webb rants about Super Mario Galaxy 2, hilariously bad reasons

Khuutra said:
KylieDog said:

Yeah, lets insult her and make like she is immature by calling her names.

She makes good points, she blatently says "I'm too old for it".  Some people grow out of cartoonish and kiddy looking things and want more from games.  She is one of them.  She didn't knock the gameplay only the presentation.

The implied correlation between maturity and a dislike of "kiddy looking things" is both fallacious and condescending.

There is a great quote... by some famous author.

It goes something like

"When I was a teeneager I secretly read fairytales without people seeing me to pretend I was more mature, and when I was older, I read them in the open because I was mature enough to not care what people think."

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Khuutra said:
KylieDog said:

She makes good points, she blatently says "I'm too old for it".  Some people grow out of cartoonish and kiddy looking things and want more from games.  She is one of them.  She didn't knock the gameplay only the presentation.

The implied correlation between maturity and a dislike of "kiddy looking things" is both fallacious and condescending.

It goes something like

"When I was a teeneager I secretly read fairytales without people seeing me to pretend I was more mature, and when I was older, I read them in the open because I was mature enough to not care what people think."

C. S. Lewis, I believe. And you're thinkning of two quotes.

One is "One day you will be old enough to read fairy tales again."

The other is:

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

Good quotes.

KylieDog said:

...and yet clearly so many posters care about what Morgan Webb thinks.  She obviously doesn't because she knows she'll get a lot of hate for her opinion but voices it anyway.

Good quote, shows this thread for what it is.

Vehement disagreements with an opinion, which thanks to the thoughtless statements of a few might be applied in a negative way to some people who partook in mockery not at all!?

How terrible.

Edit: Also the fuller C. S. Lewis quote disparages your position, so nyah.

We shouldn't care what some chick on G4 said anyway. G4 has absoloutely no credibility with video games, they are like the MTV of video games. And my guess is MTV probably wouldn't like 90% of the bands I like, if they've even heard of them at all that is..

Kasz216 said:
Khuutra said:
KylieDog said:

It goes something like

The above quotes encompass every reason why I get irritated at comments like hers.

Problem being she did these rants before with SMG just replace cartoony with too kiddy and she went on and ON about it.

Fact is the whole switching from "too kiddy" to "too cartoony" hurts her argument when her favorite game series is Ratchet and Clank all of which are very cartoony and take pride in that fact, you even have segments of cartoon style slapstick in the cutscenes, the only time they tried to take it serious was that whole "dark and brooding" phase that happened last gen where we got things like Jak 2, PoP Warrior Within, and Ratchet Deadlocked, even the reviews on the back of Tools of Destruction called it a Pixar Film and they specialize in CG cartoons...

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Kasz216 said:
Khuutra said:
KylieDog said:

It goes something like

The above quotes encompass every reason why I get irritated at comments like hers.

Problem being she did these rants before with SMG just replace cartoony with too kiddy and she went on and ON about it.

Fact is the whole switching from "too kiddy" to "too cartoony" hurts her argument when her favorite game series is Ratchet and Clank all of which are very cartoony and take pride in that fact, you even have segments of cartoon style slapstick in the cutscenes, the only time they tried to take it serious was that whole "dark and brooding" phase that happened last gen where we got things like Jak 2, PoP Warrior Within, and Ratchet Deadlocked, even the reviews on the back of Tools of Destruction called it a Pixar Film and they specialize in CG cartoons...

I thought her favorite game series was Ratchet & Clank. Hypocrisy confirmed.

KylieDog said:
Darc Requiem said:

There is a difference between 'family' entertainment and 'childrens' entertainment.  Aside from the gameplay both SMG2 and R C have which she had no issues with the R C series has a fair bit of story to it with a few sly adult jokes now and again that a child wouldn't pick up on, because it this it can appeal to older audiences while still being child friendly.  SMG2 has none of this, it has pretty much no story, no adult jokes (the characters don't even speak and just makes noises) and the little story it does have is presented in a very child like picture storybook manner.

R C and SMG2 are two very different games.  Mario relies purely on gameplay but R C has gameplay and also a story to entertain along with it.

Except she said the story should be gone (from Mario), so I'm guessing you didn't even watch the video, just came in here to "defend her opinion" without even knowing it... amazing.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

KylieDog said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
KylieDog said:
Darc Requiem said:

There is a difference between 'family' entertainment and 'childrens' entertainment.  Aside from the gameplay both SMG2 and R C have which she had no issues with the R C series has a fair bit of story to it with a few sly adult jokes now and again that a child wouldn't pick up on, because it this it can appeal to older audiences while still being child friendly.  SMG2 has none of this, it has pretty much no story, no adult jokes (the characters don't even speak and just makes noises) and the little story it does have is presented in a very child like picture storybook manner.

R C and SMG2 are two very different games.  Mario relies purely on gameplay but R C has gameplay and also a story to entertain along with it.

Except she said the story should be gone (from Mario), so I'm guessing you didn't even watch the video, just came in here to "defend her opinion" without even knowing it... amazing.

Sorry but where are pulling these ridiculous notions from?  She wants rid of the cartoon like story and presentation Mario tries to push into the game in little bits and that completely turns her off so she can just enjoy the gameplay.

No she said "cartoony graphics" specifically, Adam "they did get rid of most of the story" Morgan "They should have got rid all of it" and then went on to say "everyone knows to go on to the next level"

So again I ask you to actually watch the video before you come into a thread trying to start a big fuss and not even know what you're talking about, it seems to me you're trying to use her to project your own agenda, cause what you're saying and what she's saying isn't matching up at all, period.

When someone makes a statement like that it seems it's always a welcome opportunities for unsatisfied people to complain and agree with what she said. She barely made good points, she has no good arguments, while she is saying it's too cartoony, she's playin Ratchet and Clank and presenting Crack in Time as the best platformer.

The thing about being done with the Mario nostalgia is also pointless. Do we really play Mario because of its nostalgia? Why don't we play Sonic for nostalgia? We play Mario games because they are so much entertaining and give you an incredible amount of fun. I don't play his games because I played the original Mario Bros. I play his games because they are the pinnacle of platforming and feels always fresh, what she, obviously, doesn't understand.

Poor blonde.

TheWon said:
DirtyP2002 said:

I stopped playing Mario for the same reasons she mentioned.

I think since Mario 64, which was a great game, the Mario-platformers (except NSMB Wii) were more or less the same.

Mario 64,
Mario Sunshine,
Mario Galaxy,
Mario Galaxy 2

all high quality games, but I think if oyu have played one, there is little reason to play the next.

Somebody mentioned Uncharted, Killzone, Halo or Gears series were always the same as well and I have to disagree. First these series push the technical possibilities for their consoles and I am happy that they do that.
Second they have a different story. Every game tells you a story and for Halo, it is really epic. There are 5 Halo-novels out there and all tell you a great story. I haven't played a Mario since Mario64 (expcet for some gaming sessions with friends), but is he still trying to rescue the princess?

The story, atmosphere and Multiplayer is very important to me and Mario can't deliver one of those three categories.

I am not hating on Mario, if you are into this kiddy (sorry) kind of game and you want to be entertained for some hours I say go for it, pick it up and have fun. It is just not my type of game anymore. Really no flaming here.

See this is what happens when some one thinks they have point. The graphics from Super Mario 64 to Super Mario Galaxy 2. is way bigger progression. Then your Halo 2 to 3. Gears 1, 2, and 3. You can't make gray and brown look any better. Multiplayer is a addon mode. It has nothing to do with the core of the game. Unless it's M.A.G. or Army of Two which are multiplayer games. Story is just the reason for you doing the same shit over and over again. Kratos  in God of War trying to kill a God. In part 2 trying to kill a God. Part 3 trying to kill a God. The only difference is the in between filler. Makes you feel like you doing something different. How many times did he go to the underworld. The why is different, but you still are going. So every game is the same game every time. There are those of us who have a limit of 4 to 5 years. To replay the same game again. Then there are those of us. Who needs to play same game every 2 years. I rather pay for a 50 dollar game every 5. Then a 60 dollar game every 2. Or in the case of Call of Duty, fighters and sports games. 60 dollars every year.

Haha

Halo 2 --> Halo 3 two generations

Gears 1 --> Gears 3 SAME generation

Mario 64 --> SMG 2 three generations.

What a shocker that the graphical improvement for Mario is bigger than for Halo. Try to compare Gran Tutismo on PSOne with GT5p or GT5 for that matter. You might want to rethink your point.

And why are you sensitive about this? I just said that Mario really is a game aimed at a younger audience and I did not like it, because it is the same over and over again. True the core gameplay stays the same for other franchises as well, but you have the story and the multiplayer that keeps you entertained. Mario has neither a story nor a multiplayer and therefore it is not MY TYPE of game. You can have fun with it, nothing wrong here. I just don't like it.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...