By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Uncharted 2 to much climbing?

@Leo-j

I agree that Jak2/3 is a platformer, even R&C can be considered one, even if it's more focused on shooting, but uncharted climbing sessions are for 90% automated , it's stretch to consider it a platformer, when you decide to jump from a point to another,  the jump is done by the computer you don't have almost any chance to fall, in platformers, at least in what I consider a platformers the success of a jump depends on how you perform it, while it's the case in Jak and Rachet, in Uncharted it's not.

Around the Network
patapon said:
freebs2 said:
Xetor said:

Hum...actually, jumping and climbing are the basic to a platform game...-_-

Yes, they are when you're the one that actually jump and climb not when you press a button and a the jump is done correctly by the computer, that's more like quick-time event to me.

Your comment doesn't make sense because jumps aren't automatic... death by falling off edges, falling off a moving car or train, etc. is commonplace...

Are you sure you've played Uncharted? You've made a few other comments in the past that make it seem like you have no clue what you're talking about...

Completed both of em'...and no, I have died about 2 times during all the game, in jumping sessions, in both cases because I was tring to grab a something that, I have found out later, drake couldn't grab...one time in the "giant knife" chamber, the other on the train riding, trying to grab those trunks that had to be thown off board shooting at the straps.

freebs2 said:
patapon said:
freebs2 said:
Xetor said:

Yes, they are when you're the one that actually jump and climb not when you press a button and a the jump is done correctly by the computer, that's more like quick-time event to me.

Your comment doesn't make sense because jumps aren't automatic... death by falling off edges, falling off a moving car or train, etc. is commonplace...

Are you sure you've played Uncharted? You've made a few other comments in the past that make it seem like you have no clue what you're talking about...

Completed both of em'...and no, I have died about 2 times during all the game, in jumping sessions, in both cases because I was tring to grab a something that, I have found out later, drake couldn't grab...one time in the "giant knife" chamber, the other on the train riding, trying to grab those trunks that had to be thown off board shooting at the straps.

Ah so glad you cleared that up. But I would like you to answer the other part...

"Your comment doesn't make sense because jumps aren't automatic... death by falling off edges, falling off a moving car or train, etc. is commonplace (except for freebs2)..."

I have to agree that the game does have a lot of climbing. I think the reason why there is so much climbing is to off set how much game play is from point A to point B. Imagine if there wasn't that much climbing, the game would be much of the same thing over and over. It's and action game and I welcome the climbing. I believe they could have done much worse making levels seem bigger then what they actually are!

patapon said:
freebs2 said:
patapon said:
freebs2 said:
Xetor said:

Ah so glad you cleared that up. But I would like you to answer the other part...

"Your comment doesn't make sense because jumps aren't automatic... death by falling off edges, falling off a moving car or train, etc. is commonplace (except for freebs2)..."

Well it's a bit difficult to explain....with that they are automatic i mean that you don't have to calculate the distance, if ever, only in some places, you have to use the right timing (when you have, for example  jump from a spinning cylinder to another, in the mountain temple or from car to another) that goes to your favour, but when you press the jump button at right time you are sure that drake will arrive on the other end....that's not the case if you play crash bandicoot, jak&daxter, DKcountry, Sonic etc. in those games you have to arrive at right speed, in the right direction before jumping, you have to jump just before you fall in the gap, you have to control the jump while you're on air....all those elemets are automated in uncharted in 90% of cases, since the character stops automatically on the border of a platform (to climb of), you jump at the same distance indipently from the run-up, you can't control the jump while you're on air. That's why, in my opinion its not a platformer it is somethig different,also in zelda, for example, you can make jumps and fall of edges, not for that reason I call it a platform.

Around the Network

I thought Uncharted 2 had more of perfect blend than compared to Uncharted 1. 

CGI-Quality said:

@ freebs2

Well, the actual definition of a "platformer" game is a game where the object is to jump from one platform to another picking up objects, trying to stay alive, or earning points. In such case, Uncharted is hardly a platformer, but IS a platforming game, an action-adventure game, and a 3rd person shooter. In all, it's an action-adventure with platforming elements, but in the formal definition, Uncharted is not a platformer.

Ok,I'm sorry to be so insistent, you're right I agree that there are platforming elements in UC but to call those sessions "platforming sessions" seems to me that it's like saying that those are plaftormer-like sessions....and where that definition was written on, in the first place?Isn't it a bit vague? Pick up objects,stay alive, earning points....I think that arond 90% of games could fit into this decription...so a plaform is any ordinary game where you can make jumps to move from a place to another?

freebs2 said:

Well it's a bit difficult to explain....with that they are automatic i mean that you don't have to calculate the distance, if ever, only in some places, you have to use the right timing (when you have, for example  jump from a spinning cylinder to another, in the mountain temple or from car to another) that goes to your favour, but when you press the jump button at right time you are sure that drake will arrive on the other end....that's not the case if you play crash bandicoot, jak&daxter, DKcountry, Sonic etc. in those games you have to arrive at right speed, in the right direction before jumping, you have to jump just before you fall in the gap, you have to control the jump while you're on air....all those elemets are automated in uncharted in 90% of cases, since the character stops automatically on the border of a platform (to climb of), you jump at the same distance indipently from the run-up, you can't control the jump while you're on air. That's why, in my opinion its not a platformer it is somethig different,also in zelda, for example, you can make jumps and fall of edges, not for that reason I call it a platform.

But you do have to jump in the right direction... and you do actually need to be moving in order to make jumps. That's why moving is essential to getting around in MP! You have to jump from one platform to another... it's platforming. Granted, it's different jumping and it's much less a science with the double jumps and hold 'A' to glide, etc. But it's jumping from place to place I.E. platforming and the description you gave it makes it seem like a QTE, which is incorrect.

One of the two main differences (the other being the floatyness) IMO between Uncharted and sonic for example, is that Uncharted has a very sophisticated grab mechanic which most other platformers lack entirely. I don't think this detracts from it's status as a platformer, I think it's more correct to say it's of a different variety. Sort of (but to a lesser extent) how Mario Kart and GT both have different mechanics yet both are racers.

In regards to no floatyness, that's true. But than again it wouldn't work in Uncharted because it's trying to mimic real physics which don't allow for that. You're fully entitled to your opinion, but I don't understand why .1 second of air-time, most of which doesn't amount to squat in the likes of DKC and Crash, is really all that important for genre classification. As I said previously, Drake jumps from place to place and climbs all over the place... this is what most people consider platforming.

I wish it were more like 60% platforming, 20% action, 20% stealth especially since you can make most stealth segments action oriented if you want.

lol at people complaining about the train climbing sequence, yes it's slow because drake is injured, now go figure.

i loved the platforming, it really helps to break this game up, and I would get tired of it otherwise, uncharted is my favourite game this gen:):)

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1