By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will the Playstation 3 dominate the Wii?

Retrasado said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
taxman said:
I can't believe no one figured it out yet. All the talk about the Wii vs PS3/360 is not very relevant this generation. The Wii always was a more casual console with simpler games than the other two and more mass market appeal...

A Wii sold at a shop does not automatically exclude a sale of a PS3/360. Whereas a sale of a PS3 probably eliminates that consumer from the 360 and vice versa.

Many people will buy a Wii and be on the lookout for an HD console to complement a new HDTV (like me)...

So the argument over Wii vs PS3 is useless since the two are not mutually exclusive like the PS3 and 360 are.

Your usage of simple is misleading, Wii games are not simple in the sense of being childish, they are simple in that more people can access them than games on PS3 and 360, fewer barriers to entry.

Most who purchase a Wii will not end up buying a PS3 or a 360, so a Wii purchase in many cases will exclude a PS3 or 360 purchase, not everyone buys two consoles, even PS3 and 360 are not mutually exclusive in all cases. So a Wii vs. PS3 comparison are valid because they are in competition, espceailly for developer support

WTH??! PS3 vs. Wii for dev support? I thought you were trying to make a point that the Wii could win...I'm joking. Seriously, I think that devs will be reluctant to make games for the Wii because of how bad 3rd party games sell. Of course it remains to be seen if the same fate will befall 3rd party games that are not crap like the present ones, so I could be wrong on this one. (However, some 3rd party games on the N64 and GC weren't crap and still sold like crap anyway, so yeah, how well non-crappy 3rd party games will do on the Wii remains to be seen.) Also, and I don't think this will mean much, but it might have an impact on dev support is the fact that most devs (I'm talking the people, not companies) want to make the most advanced games possible and frankly, a lot of Wii games could probably have run on the PS1. I don't think the Wii will EVER come CLOSE to being the mainstream console because of it's horribly weak processor and GPU. Once you start seing 5th and 6th gen PS3 and 360 games and the consoles get down to $200-$250, you can kiss the Wii goodbye. (especially if devs utilize the PS3's motion sensor, which is virtually identical to the Wii's except for the pointer capability, to it's full potential.)

I don't think it will during the Wii's lifetime, but it might in TOTAL sales because the PS3 could be a viable console through 2012 (depending on when the Xbox 720 comes out) which would be almost 2 1/2 years longer than the Wii.

B

I

N

G

O

Nintendo is destroying the industry!

When PS60 get price cut, Wii is through.

Wii Fit!!????

Nintendo is abandoning the hardcore!

When this game comes out, THEN the PS360 will take off!

Nintendo not serious about online.

Wii is just a party machine.

Wii sells because it is cheap.

Pachter says…

Nintendo milks profit due to inferior hardware!

Gamecube started well at first too…

Wii is a fad!

FREE

LOL minigames!!1!

PS3 is on a ten year plan.

Wii is two Gamecube systems put together by duct tape!

Argh!!! Non-games!!!1!!!

Wii-mote is a gimmick.

Stupid casual gamers!

Only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems.

When HD adoption rate goes up, Wii is finished.

Who cares about Wii sales? All the real games are on PS60!

Where are the third parties? LOL!

VC is overpriced rom dump!

What happens when people get bored of Wii Sports?

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

U never no....the Ps3 has a lot of features and games so it could prob. come close to the wii

PS3 FTW, by the way, about 3 of the squares on that bingo chart are true...

ClaudeLv250 said:
Retrasado said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
taxman said:
I can't believe no one figured it out yet. All the talk about the Wii vs PS3/360 is not very relevant this generation. The Wii always was a more casual console with simpler games than the other two and more mass market appeal...

A Wii sold at a shop does not automatically exclude a sale of a PS3/360. Whereas a sale of a PS3 probably eliminates that consumer from the 360 and vice versa.

Many people will buy a Wii and be on the lookout for an HD console to complement a new HDTV (like me)...

So the argument over Wii vs PS3 is useless since the two are not mutually exclusive like the PS3 and 360 are.

Your usage of simple is misleading, Wii games are not simple in the sense of being childish, they are simple in that more people can access them than games on PS3 and 360, fewer barriers to entry.

Most who purchase a Wii will not end up buying a PS3 or a 360, so a Wii purchase in many cases will exclude a PS3 or 360 purchase, not everyone buys two consoles, even PS3 and 360 are not mutually exclusive in all cases. So a Wii vs. PS3 comparison are valid because they are in competition, espceailly for developer support

WTH??! PS3 vs. Wii for dev support? I thought you were trying to make a point that the Wii could win...I'm joking. Seriously, I think that devs will be reluctant to make games for the Wii because of how bad 3rd party games sell. Of course it remains to be seen if the same fate will befall 3rd party games that are not crap like the present ones, so I could be wrong on this one. (However, some 3rd party games on the N64 and GC weren't crap and still sold like crap anyway, so yeah, how well non-crappy 3rd party games will do on the Wii remains to be seen.) Also, and I don't think this will mean much, but it might have an impact on dev support is the fact that most devs (I'm talking the people, not companies) want to make the most advanced games possible and frankly, a lot of Wii games could probably have run on the PS1. I don't think the Wii will EVER come CLOSE to being the mainstream console because of it's horribly weak processor and GPU. Once you start seing 5th and 6th gen PS3 and 360 games and the consoles get down to $200-$250, you can kiss the Wii goodbye. (especially if devs utilize the PS3's motion sensor, which is virtually identical to the Wii's except for the pointer capability, to it's full potential.)

I don't think it will during the Wii's lifetime, but it might in TOTAL sales because the PS3 could be a viable console through 2012 (depending on when the Xbox 720 comes out) which would be almost 2 1/2 years longer than the Wii.

B

I

N

G

O

Nintendo is destroying the industry!

When PS60 get price cut, Wii is through.

Wii Fit!!????

Nintendo is abandoning the hardcore!

When this game comes out, THEN the PS360 will take off!

Nintendo not serious about online.

Wii is just a party machine.

Wii sells because it is cheap.

Pachter says…

Nintendo milks profit due to inferior hardware!

Gamecube started well at first too…

Wii is a fad!

FREE

LOL minigames!!1!

PS3 is on a ten year plan.

Wii is two Gamecube systems put together by duct tape!

Argh!!! Non-games!!!1!!!

Wii-mote is a gimmick.

Stupid casual gamers!

Only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems.

When HD adoption rate goes up, Wii is finished.

Who cares about Wii sales? All the real games are on PS60!

Where are the third parties? LOL!

VC is overpriced rom dump!

What happens when people get bored of Wii Sports?

ROFL I didn't get a bingo....

actually, I was just jumping at the chance to yell at avi

in case you didn't notice, I said "it remains to be seen how well non-crappy 3rd party games will do on the Wii" This means I still do not have enough evidence to decide what will happen because very few good 3rd party games have been released on the Wii so far. HOWEVER, if GH3 is what will happen to all non-crappy 3rd party games, the Wii has no worries whatsoever

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

No way - too little too late - Wii has secured 1st place
y r we even talking about this if the PS3 is still in last place?

Around the Network

Hmm.. today gap is 11 mln.
by the end of 2008 it will be 15 mln. probablym if NOT 20.

Then, unless wii is FAD and will stop selling, it will be HARD for ps3 to catch 15-20 mln.

Weekly/monthly domination is possible. In long term, well, if PS3 will appeal to BIGGER casual base, which care about REALISTIC(GT5), or PIXAR(Ratchet), or ANIME(Naruto/Valkyrie) or CGI(FFXIII/KZ2) graphics, it will have little chance to outsell.

DS is still selling with 66 mln. so, why Wii should stop.

p.s. LOL at BINGO. =))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

It's not likely that the PS3 will ever beat the Wii...

Retrasado said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
taxman said:

Most who purchase a Wii will not end up buying a PS3 or a 360, so a Wii purchase in many cases will exclude a PS3 or 360 purchase, not everyone buys two consoles, even PS3 and 360 are not mutually exclusive in all cases.  So a Wii vs. PS3 comparison are valid because they are in competition, espceailly for developer support

WTH??! PS3 vs. Wii for dev support? I thought you were trying to make a point that the Wii could win...I'm joking. Seriously, I think that devs will be reluctant to make games for the Wii because of how bad 3rd party games sell. Of course it remains to be seen if the same fate will befall 3rd party games that are not crap like the present ones, so I could be wrong on this one. (However, some 3rd party games on the N64 and GC weren't crap and still sold like crap anyway, so yeah, how well non-crappy 3rd party games will do on the Wii remains to be seen.) Also, and I don't think this will mean much, but it might have an impact on dev support is the fact that most devs (I'm talking the people, not companies) want to make the most advanced games possible and frankly, a lot of Wii games could probably have run on the PS1. I don't think the Wii will EVER come CLOSE to being the mainstream console because of it's horribly weak processor and GPU. Once you start seing 5th and 6th gen PS3 and 360 games and the consoles get down to $200-$250, you can kiss the Wii goodbye. (especially if devs utilize the PS3's motion sensor, which is virtually identical to the Wii's except for the pointer capability, to it's full potential.)

Actually third party games sell better on Wii than PS3, your argument fails right there

Wii can also drop price and games make more money on Wii and most consumers don't want or even care about PS3 or 360 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)