By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will the Playstation 3 dominate the Wii?

don't think so. Only if nintendo replace the wii early and PS3 really lasts for 8-9 years like PS2

Oh, imagine 2011: PS3 with wii-like controller vs wii2 (backward compatile with wii) with PS3 power xD

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
taxman said:
I can't believe no one figured it out yet. All the talk about the Wii vs PS3/360 is not very relevant this generation. The Wii always was a more casual console with simpler games than the other two and more mass market appeal...

A Wii sold at a shop does not automatically exclude a sale of a PS3/360. Whereas a sale of a PS3 probably eliminates that consumer from the 360 and vice versa.

Many people will buy a Wii and be on the lookout for an HD console to complement a new HDTV (like me)...

So the argument over Wii vs PS3 is useless since the two are not mutually exclusive like the PS3 and 360 are.

Your usage of simple is misleading, Wii games are not simple in the sense of being childish, they are simple in that more people can access them than games on PS3 and 360, fewer barriers to entry.

Most who purchase a Wii will not end up buying a PS3 or a 360, so a Wii purchase in many cases will exclude a PS3 or 360 purchase, not everyone buys two consoles, even PS3 and 360 are not mutually exclusive in all cases.  So a Wii vs. PS3 comparison are valid because they are in competition, espceailly for developer support

WTH??! PS3 vs. Wii for dev support? I thought you were trying to make a point that the Wii could win...I'm joking. Seriously, I think that devs will be reluctant to make games for the Wii because of how bad 3rd party games sell. Of course it remains to be seen if the same fate will befall 3rd party games that are not crap like the present ones, so I could be wrong on this one. (However, some 3rd party games on the N64 and GC weren't crap and still sold like crap anyway, so yeah, how well non-crappy 3rd party games will do on the Wii remains to be seen.) Also, and I don't think this will mean much, but it might have an impact on dev support is the fact that most devs (I'm talking the people, not companies) want to make the most advanced games possible and frankly, a lot of Wii games could probably have run on the PS1. I don't think the Wii will EVER come CLOSE to being the mainstream console because of it's horribly weak processor and GPU. Once you start seing 5th and 6th gen PS3 and 360 games and the consoles get down to $200-$250, you can kiss the Wii goodbye. (especially if devs utilize the PS3's motion sensor, which is virtually identical to the Wii's except for the pointer capability, to it's full potential.)

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

It could, but chances are it won't. If PS3 beats Wii, we must understand the difference in sales between the 2 will be minimal. PS3 is in no position to blow out anyone in this generation.

^^agreed

I don't think it will during the Wii's lifetime, but it might in TOTAL sales because the PS3 could be a viable console through 2012 (depending on when the Xbox 720 comes out) which would be almost 2 1/2 years longer than the Wii.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

So the wii will have a 3 1/2 year life span? I seriously doubt that.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

Could it catch Wii? Yes

Will it? Probably not

The PS3 could very well catch the Wii, provided it's sales spike like no one's business, and the Wii falls off, but the probability of that happening is slim to none. Actually it's pretty close to none. But like Zucas said, if it did win, it'd only be by a few hundred thousand or a mil, as that will be a close race, but it'll definetly beat the 360. Thanks to others.

John_Doe said:
don't think so. Only if nintendo replace the wii early and PS3 really lasts for 8-9 years like PS2

Oh, imagine 2011: PS3 with wii-like controller vs wii2 (backward compatile with wii) with PS3 power xD

The other problem with the Wii is that it doesn't have hte networking effect the other two consoles have. If your friends have PS3/360s then you will probably get one in order toplay with them. the Wii, with the lack of internet play will probably get more hardly hit as it becomes older since people will not be tempted to buy one to play online with friends.

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

@retrasado
There are very few quality games that did poorly on the Wii. Before you use them as an example, neither Zach and Wiki nor No More Heroes were not expected to do well. Third parties that made a decent effort were rewarded. As this continues to be proven, more and more third parties will switch over to the Wii. And I would argue that third parties aren't doing good on PS3 at all, and it costs more to make it for PS3. In fact, of the 7 PS3 million sellers, only 4 are third party, and I don't think any of those games are exclusive. It also sports the only console version of Guitar Hero 3 that has not reached one million units.
And you could not do these games on the PS1. That is ridiculous.
Also, the majority of consumers don't care about power. It doesn't matter what the graphical ability of the Wii is, it will still sell. And you assume that when the PS3 goes down to $250 that the Wii will not be $100. Plus, the time when the PS3 is that cheap is very far away.
@taxman
Online isn't a huge issue for a lot of people at this point. It's great, but games are really what drives a console.

taxman said:
John_Doe said:

The other problem with the Wii is that it doesn't have hte networking effect the other two consoles have. If your friends have PS3/360s then you will probably get one in order toplay with them. the Wii, with the lack of internet play will probably get more hardly hit as it becomes older since people will not be tempted to buy one to play online with friends.

Yet, arguably, the main reason the wii is selling so well to casuals is because of word of mouth and having a few games of wii sports (or other) at a friends house, online or no-online

Will the Playstation 3 dominate the Wii?

Sure, two weeks after NEVER!

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"