By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will the Playstation 3 dominate the Wii?

Directly from the mouth of a God of War 2 developer.

http://corybarlog.blogspot.com/2008/01/questions-questions-questions.html

D: any intrest of making a game on the wii? hahaha

YES! Even though I was less than impressed with my Wii, as well as a lot fo the games I have played, I would love to make a game on this system. I think there is a lot to be done with it. Plus...it’s like a BILLION times cheaper to make a Wii game versus a 360 or PS3 game...which is good. Making a 40 or 50 million dollar game is cool, I love making big games don’t get me wrong, but you have soooo many more masters with their hands in the creative pot when that kind of money is getting thrown around. Hopefully when the game industry becomes more comfortable with those budget numbers things will get better. I mean, we were just getting used to 20-30 million when the next gen came around and now big games are costing double. I heard MGS4 costs 70 million. Which actually sounds ludicrous to me, but in a way it doesn’t if you factor int he MGS4 and MGS online...and the tons of cinematics and long development time...it could get up to that.

But what do I know?

Around the Network
Mars said:
HappySqurriel said:

I love how Sony fans always cherry pick ...

Look at any publishers sales on the PS3 and you will see that the vast majority of their titles do not sell more than 250,000 units (typically selling less than 125,000 units) even though the development costs on a PS3 game are very high; there have been (about) 120 games released and 32 are above 250,000 units sold, with 63 above 125,000 units sold.

The Wii, in contrast, has not had that much expensive or high quality third party support yet but has 46 games above 250,000 units sold, and 77 above 125,000 units sold ...

Third party publishers are essentially being asked whether they want to invest $2 to $10 Million on a Wii game which will (for the most part) have revenues between $4 and $60 Million, or to invest $20 to $80 Million on a PS3 game which will (for the most part) have revenues between $4 and $80 ... Which has the better return on investment and which is higher risk?

i love how wii fans pull numbers out of thin air..

Alot of those titles were just 360 ports costing only 10% of initial production costs, selling 100/200k is pretty good.

Gears of War cost what 10 million, Halo3 30 million.  Even a huge production like Killzone 2 is rumored at max 40 million so i really would like to know where you get your 80 million number and please no fanboy blogs or some idiot analyst.

There is no higher risk then releasing a real game on the wii, Zack/Wiki and No more heros already proved that. Even a great title like Metroid manages only a bit over 1 million and that surely was not a cheep title to make.

My "made up" number comes from a well known, well respect, developer who FOCUSES ON SONY PLATFORMS!

Cory Barlog said:

http://corybarlog.blogspot.com/2008/01/questions-questions-questions.html

D: any intrest of making a game on the wii? hahaha

YES! Even though I was less than impressed with my Wii, as well as a lot fo the games I have played, I would love to make a game on this system. I think there is a lot to be done with it. Plus...it’s like a BILLION times cheaper to make a Wii game versus a 360 or PS3 game...which is good. Making a 40 or 50 million dollar game is cool, I love making big games don’t get me wrong, but you have soooo many more masters with their hands in the creative pot when that kind of money is getting thrown around. Hopefully when the game industry becomes more comfortable with those budget numbers things will get better. I mean, we were just getting used to 20-30 million when the next gen came around and now big games are costing double. I heard MGS4 costs 70 million. Which actually sounds ludicrous to me, but in a way it doesn’t if you factor int he MGS4 and MGS online...and the tons of cinematics and long development time...it could get up to that.

But what do I know?

Beyond that, No More Heroes is the type of game that simply doesn't sell in Japan (the best selling games similar to it usually sell 50,000 to 100,000 units) and Zack and Wiki is the type of game which hasn't sold well on any platform since 1995 ...

Also, we got onto this discussion because of the quantity of high quality EXCLUSIVE games that would end up on both platforms; being released on the XBox 360 and PC to reduce the risk kind of proves my initial point.

Now to prove your point, please pick 1 third party Wii game that is in a popular genre, is high quality, and was heavily advertized which ended up having sales that would disapoint the publisher; if third party games are really bombing left and right on the Wii this should be an easy task.

the ps3 is not going to dominate anything sony is going to come in third place this gen get over it

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

Please stop spamming that. All we need is the Nintendo equivalent of CrazzyMan.

Whoever honestly thinks that the PS3 will out sell the Wii, is in fantasy land. Seriously. Listen, I'm all for PS3 will outsell the 360. I'll give you that, but come on, the Wii. The Wii is out of control. Just like that "one" developer said "Sony needs to apologize to their fans and have a redo" best quote I've ever heard from a developer. I believe it was the guy from valve who made "orange box" Not only did he say it, but intentionally made it public in game informer. I laughed my head off. k seriously, not happening. might as well end the convo. and by the way, these blockbuster titles aren't going to be so blockbuster in sales. At least not what everyone thinks.

Around the Network

Wii has this generation in the bag.  The only competeting consoles that have a chance of changing places in the console war is XBox 360 and PS3, but I doubt PS3 will be able to (if it ever does) pass by 2010 and even so I think Microsoft still has a victory since they are becoming more and more integrating into the gaming console industry.

America = Best Gaming Console

Europe = Best Game Developers

chriscox1121 said:
I'm all for PS3 will outsell the 360.

Why would anybody in their right mind want the XBox 360 to fail?  I dont know if you've been keeping up with the news lately but America is headed for the recession and American companies like Microsoft are one of our few bright spots because other sectors of our economy are getting whooped up on.

If America goes into a recession, thanks in part to everything to failing automotive industry to failing gaming industry (Microsoft) then that will hurt every other country and gaming system since America is a huge part of the global market.

America = Best Gaming Console

Europe = Best Game Developers

Mars said:
HappySqurriel said:

I love how Sony fans always cherry pick ...

Third party publishers are essentially being asked whether they want to invest $2 to $10 Million on a Wii game which will (for the most part) have revenues between $4 and $60 Million, or to invest $20 to $80 Million on a PS3 game which will (for the most part) have revenues between $4 and $80 ... Which has the better return on investment and which is higher risk?

i love how wii fans pull numbers out of thin air..

Alot of those titles were just 360 ports costing only 10% of initial production costs, selling 100/200k is pretty good.

Gears of War cost what 10 million, Halo3 30 million. Even a huge production like Killzone 2 is rumored at max 40 million so i really would like to know where you get your 80 million number and please no fanboy blogs or some idiot analyst.

There is no higher risk then releasing a real game on the wii, Zack/Wiki and No more heros already proved that. Even a great title like Metroid manages only a bit over 1 million and that surely was not a cheep title to make.

Once again cherry picking...

GoW was a new IP heavily advertised by Microsoft... Epic use their own engine which is on sale now... MS took care of the Marketing...

Halo 3, again was heavily advertised, and is a sequel of a sales success...

Killzone 2, heavily advertised, unknow sales since they haven't launch it...

I can do the "cherry pick" stuff too...

¿Do you want a good example? Lair, $24 millions, 280k copies sold (edit: Just in US and Jap, others Data is not here), ask Factor 5 how much do they love the PS3 now... but hey thats why some devs are making some multi-plataform and some shovelware for Wii...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

atm it seems ps3 will always be behind wii which has much more mass market appeal.

PS-She said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
PS-She said:
a.l.e.x59 said:
Are these early signs that the Playstation 3 will defeat the Wii?

The Wii's own limitations are already self-defeating. Time will tell how sales turn out though.

Pretty much said the same things about the NES when it came out compared to the gaming PC's, and we all know how that turned out

You know that's a poor analogy.  About the only similarity is that the NES, like the Wii, was pathetic hardware-wise.  That's where the similarities end.

so there is no similiarity with regards to the controls?  the nes using gamepad instead of joystick and the wii using motion controls instead of gamepad?

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp