By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The VGC 3.0 Complaint/Suggestion Thread

To all people complaining about the lime green :

Shows that 360 has only brought catastophe to the gaming wolrd

Around the Network

A few small issues:

1) In the "my games" page, a quick link opening the search form page in gamrReview would be nifty to add owned games.

2) A lot of the AJAX controls don't give much feedback of their activity status. I can click on the completed button for an owned game, then wait a second before it gets its response and toggles. There's no indication of activity, though, so If it fails for some reason I just keep waiting for the toggle button to turn on, and wait, and wait... can't a discrete throbber be shown?

3) I personally like black-on-white, but for many people the white backgrounds are more disturbing if they strike the peripheral vision because the eye doesn't adapt as well to the lighting intensity. In forums, for example, each post is a black on grey, so my eye is usually poinitng towards a centered grey area, but on the sides I get way higher light intensity. Have you considered an inverted (lighter bubbles, off-white or dark grey peripheral background) pattern?

4) There's still no way to cancel the forum post reply thickbox thingie

Anyway, I see great changes being made by the hour, keep up the good work :)

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

makingmusic476 said:
  • Removal of Hot Topics.  Hot Topics made it incredibly easy to jump around between active threads in all forums.  Having to manually check each forum makes things more complicated, and one of the reasons I love it here is because it's so much easier to find relevant information than on other forums.  Splitting up the forums even further (which if I recall is being planned) will only make finding interesting topics even more troublesome.

I still stand behind the idea of condensing our forums into only five categories: Sales, Gaming, Online, Website, and Off Topic, with a sixth Hot Topics section that combines them all for those so inclined.  I think this would both improve discussion and decrease the group mentality that arises when you split games and gamers into specific sections.  I honestly don't think we'd have silly threads like "Join the Sony Army!" springing up if we didn't have a dedicated Sony section, nor would we have trolls/fanboys joining up specifically to join those groups (which does happen).

Alright MM has a lot of good points here, but this is the most important one.

Dividing users into categories (sony,nintendo,microsoft,pc) makes the problem of trolling worse. People should be invited to participate on all forums in a way they see fit. Hot topics allowed people to do this, and individually accessing each forum is cumbersome and unnecessary. Remember, you want more than just supposed "Wii fans" posting about Nintendo issues. Compartmentalizing the forumbase even further by adding more forums (or so I've heard) will make the site even harder to navigate and inhibit meaningful discussion. Less forums makes more sense than more forums. 

My last point is that the social networking rubbish implemented in this version highlights what I said in February about VGChartz "becoming more and more of a generic, dime a dozen gaming site". The site is growing, I respect that, but in the process it has become a site that keeps going in a direction I don't agree with. I don't want to "connect" with gamers, I just want to post and read about video games with fellow enthusiasts. 

A low-bandwidth/mobile version of the site would also be a very good addition. Some of us with older PCs/mobile phones find it hard to navigate pages with video ads and poor site design.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

ameratsu said:
makingmusic476 said:
  • Removal of Hot Topics.  Hot Topics made it incredibly easy to jump around between active threads in all forums.  Having to manually check each forum makes things more complicated, and one of the reasons I love it here is because it's so much easier to find relevant information than on other forums.  Splitting up the forums even further (which if I recall is being planned) will only make finding interesting topics even more troublesome.

I still stand behind the idea of condensing our forums into only five categories: Sales, Gaming, Online, Website, and Off Topic, with a sixth Hot Topics section that combines them all for those so inclined.  I think this would both improve discussion and decrease the group mentality that arises when you split games and gamers into specific sections.  I honestly don't think we'd have silly threads like "Join the Sony Army!" springing up if we didn't have a dedicated Sony section, nor would we have trolls/fanboys joining up specifically to join those groups (which does happen).

Alright MM has a lot of good points here, but this is the most important one.

Dividing users into categories (sony,nintendo,microsoft,pc) makes the problem of trolling worse. People should be invited to participate on all forums in a way they see fit. Hot topics allowed people to do this, and individually accessing each forum is cumbersome and unnecessary. Remember, you want more than just supposed "Wii fans" posting about Nintendo issues. Compartmentalizing the forumbase even further by adding more forums (or so I've heard) will make the site even harder to navigate and inhibit meaningful discussion. Less forums makes more sense than more forums. 

My last point is that the social networking rubbish implemented in this version highlights what I said in February about VGChartz "becoming more and more of a generic, dime a dozen gaming site". The site is growing, I respect that, but in the process it has become a site that keeps going in a direction I don't agree with. I don't want to "connect" with gamers, I just want to post and read about video games with fellow enthusiasts. 

I do agree that it's starting to feel a bit more like Facebook than a forum.  The wall post feed in particular lol.

makingmusic476 said:
I do agree that it's starting to feel a bit more like Facebook than a forum.  The wall post feed in particular lol.

Everything from your friends list to the way my post is a word bubble!

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Ooh, I like how opening a thread now takes you to the first unread comment. 3.0 is really starting to grow on me. And it's only going to get better.

I agree that's a great feature, but it was already in VGC2.0 for quite some time.  But I'm glad it's still here! 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I see some issues have been resolved but there are still several big things that need tweaking.

1.  Avatars. Why are they smaller and what's with the white strip on the top left corner of them?

2.  The bright white background. Literally, my eyes are starting to water after trying to read the forums. I have to tone down the brightness just to make it tolerable. The old darker background was kinder on the eyes.

3.  Banned people. i don't know why they're banned or how long they're banned for. I liked reading their reasons- it taught me what not to do (leo-j and the 4 word min in particular) and knowing when they'll be back.

4.  forums. nightmare.

5. tba

Woop woop! My recent threads once again grace the LHS of my screen - thank you for adding that in :)

Is there any way from that to tell if the thread has

No new replies

new replies

or new replies quoting one of your posts

As there was in 2.0?

scottie said:

Woop woop! My recent threads once again grace the LHS of my screen - thank you for adding that in :)

No new replies

new replies

As there was in 2.0?

No new replies show thread in grey
New replies show the thread in green
New replies quoting one of your posts also shows in green

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

scottie said:

No new replies

new replies

As there was in 2.0?

Best I can tell:

grey = no new replies
green = new replies
orange = quote

However, the only thread in my recent history that showed up as orange contained a quoted post from BEFORE vgc 3.0 went live.  I have been quoted twice since then, in this very thread actually, yet both times the thread was colored green and not orange.  I assume that's something they're still working on.