By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The VGC 3.0 Complaint/Suggestion Thread

The old one was WAY better for regular users. Traffic and amount of click seems to be the intention behind this remasterisation. If not, what are the advantages exactly???

Around the Network

Ooh, I like how opening a thread now takes you to the first unread comment. 3.0 is really starting to grow on me. And it's only going to get better.

Now if I could just get my VGC sig back....

The Ghost of RubangB said:

It says my favorite console is the PC 'cuz I have 29 PC games.  But I have 282 NES games!

I accidentally said I completed Burger Time and Double Dragon 3, and I can't uncomplete them!

Yes I think you can uncomplete a game. I did it actually, twice.

Or I'm afraid you'll have to play Burger Time and Double Dragon 3 until you complete them. *shivers*

Things I like about 3.0:

• Staff now have actual icons denoting their position!
  • The entire area just to the left of a post looks far more professional.
  • The glossy finish on the avatars looks quite nice.
  • Spell check finally works when typing posts again!  I had nothing but issues with that in 2.0.
  • New post editing function rocks.  My only complaint is that you have to refresh to make the buttons reappear if you need to edit again.
  • New moderation history function is great, but the mod history button next to a person's post is now gone?
  • Locking threads is much quicker now.  I'd assume the Sticky process has also been improved, but I've yet to try it.

Things I don't like about 3.0:

• Sigs are now ginormous??  I din't know what happened, but sigs seem much larger to me now, and they look rather out of place.  Edit: Nevermind.  I assume sigs now seem bigger due to the smaller size of our posts.  As an aside, I'd like to take this time to recommend a built-in limit on sigs, much like on GameSpot's forums.  They have it so that anything past a certain point simply gets cut off (much like the edge of a screenshot that is too large gets cut off in a post), so it basically forces people to keep their sigs within the proper limit.  It'd save moderators time from having to warn people about their signature length and provide the forums with a more uniform appearance.
  • Avatars are smaller.  They used to be 100x100px, but now they're scaled to 80x80px.  I thought if anything avatar size would get larger, given the ever increasing resolutions of our monitors.  At least allow them to be  equal in width to the member and point icons directly below!
  • Posts seem a bit more spaced out now, and every post looks like it's contained in a giant quote box.  Honestly, each thread feels like a giant post with individual quote boxes within it.  But this is a minor issue, and it's something I'm sure I'll get used to.
  • Lime green.  It's generally pleasing on the eyes, but not very easy to read.  I think a darker blue for both usernames and reply/quote/edit buttons would fit better.  I do like the way things look now, but I don't think it works very well.
  • Posts aren't quite as wide.  I initially had the screenshots in my thread scaled to fit perfectly within the edges of a post, but now they're too long!  Posting high rez screenshots for all to see was hard enough before, but now we'e limited to like, what, 500px across?  That's barely wide enough for an SD 480x854 shot!
  • When in the forums section, there's no longer a list of all forums at the top of the page.  I used to use that to jump between forums quickly quite often.  Now they come down in a little menu when hovering over forums, which isn't quite as intuitive, but I guess it works.
  • Removal of Hot Topics.  Hot Topics made it incredibly easy to jump around between active threads in all forums.  Having to manually check each forum makes things more complicated, and one of the reasons I love it here is because it's so much easier to find relevant information than on other forums.  Splitting up the forums even further (which if I recall is being planned) will only make finding interesting topics even more troublesome.

I still stand behind the idea of condensing our forums into only five categories: Sales, Gaming, Online, Website, and Off Topic, with a sixth Hot Topics section that combines them all for those so inclined.  I think this would both improve discussion and decrease the group mentality that arises when you split games and gamers into specific sections.  I honestly don't think we'd have silly threads like "Join the Sony Army!" springing up if we didn't have a dedicated Sony section, nor would we have trolls/fanboys joining up specifically to join those groups (which does happen).

Around the Network

I was surprised with VGChartz's layout change this time around. I have to say I really like it. Good job Brett and everyone else involved.

The following are simply some things that should be somehow altered and fixed.

1) I don't particularly like the white forum background and the green buttons. We should have the option to switch forum skins. I very much like a black and orange background and button color scheme coz it goes well with the VGC logo.

2) Navigation is a bit of an issue for me. Maybe it's because I'm just not used to it yet but in the previous version I could easily navigate from he home page to one of the hot topics, click back and then go straight to this week's sales, then go to see individual game sales without any diffuculties whatsoever. But now that it's all divided, it's simply takes more work to get to everything I wanna see.

its all become too confusing why change it, damn it!

bring the old version back.

Icyedge said:

The old one was WAY better for regular users. Traffic and amount of click seems to be the intention behind this remasterisation. If not, what are the advantages exactly???

This.

And the bright green on white makes my eyes bleed.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

I haven't read the thread, so I don't know if someone has requested this already. I like it that the hot topic section is back in my gamrConnect Section. However could you please use a color code again for the different forum Articles, so that these can be identified more easily. What I mean is:

Right now all links are green.

I would change it into:

Links for Topics from the Nintendo Forum get blue color.

Links for Topics from the Sony Forum get red color.

Links for Topics from the Microsoft Forum get green color. (Maybe the same like now)

Links for all other Topics get a grey/black color.

However, keep up the good work.