By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Final Fantasy VII not aged well?

I am seeing there is a demand for a remake of Final Fantasy VII, and I am curious why.  Isn't the original Final Fantasy VII available as a download?  I am curious, if it is, why a remake?  Has the original Final Fantasy VII not aged well, and it needs a graphic boost?  If the gaming world of Final Fantasy VII is that good, why not do a sequel based on it, instead of a remake?

I don't get why a remake of Final Fantasy VII is demanded, unless maybe the original hasn't aged well.

Around the Network

I replayed up to disc 2 on the PSP and that game aged terribly. The big draw for me was the story, CGI cutscenes, and the battle system. Only the battle system still stands up to scrutiny. Sorry, guys.

Strange thing about games. At the time, I bet I would have considered it miles better than Grandia but now that FFVII's cutting edge technology isn't so cutting edge anymore, I'm really enjoying Grandia much more.

Not aged well? It aged atrociously IMO... so unlike its other two PS1 counterparts.

A remake will help that game a huge, incredible lot. Everything in that game is up and above today's standards - sans graphics, of course.

I concur on this being the main reason as to why a remake is in such high demand.

Well I never thought FFVII was any good in the first place. That said, no it has not aged well. The music sampling rate was substandard at it's release. The graphics weren't good by 1997 standards either. The only thing that was impressive for the time was the CGI. I never understood why the game had flat shaded polygonal characters. The whole point of rendered 2D back drops was to have the processing power necessary for detailed 3D characters i.e. Resident Evil. The Battle Models were higher quality but still flat shaded and the frame rate for the battles was only 15fps.

Horribly

I enjoyed FF8 MUCH MUCH more than it two months ago (comparing my PSN play throughs of the game...so within the last year I replayed FF7/8 off PSN) which is surprising because I didn't think FF8 was anywhere near as good as FF7 back in the day 12 years ago or so

Its aged worse than the SNES games

But still I want a FF6 remake instead.

EDIT: so FF8 has aged very well, I'll find out if FF9 has later on this month

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

not really. the graphics are pretty bad but the story and gameplay are the same.

my top 5 right now. 1. uncharted 2 2. assassin's creed 2 3. god of war 3 4. final fantasy xiii 5. blue dragon: awakened shadow.

its an amazing experience, but FF XIII tops it by a mile.. I guess graphics do matter.. and voice acting.. and beautiful worlds..

I mean.. honestly..

mM

I think the graphics are an issue especially considering what we saw in Crisis Core those graphics alone would make VII immensely more enjoyable for the masses.

darthdevidem01 said:

Horribly

I enjoyed FF8 MUCH MUCH more than it two months ago (comparing my PSN play throughs of the game...so within the last year I replayed FF7/8 off PSN) which is surprising because I didn't think FF8 was anywhere near as good as FF7 back in the day 12 years ago or so

That's the general case with early 3D games vs 4th gen 2D ones.

IX aged marvelously, by the way.

Xen said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Horribly

That's the general case with early 3D games vs 4th gen 2D ones.

IX aged marvelously, by the way.

Cool can't wait to replay IX !!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey