By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prince of Persia Movie, not good weekend not good Meta

Why caring about Prince of Persia The Sands of Time? Well it's the first movie based on a videogame with a big budget (200 millions), a big producer (Jerry Bruckheimer from Pirates of the Caribbean), big ads, a good weekend for release, etc.. Basically in paper it has everything for a good movie and a good start for a new franchise...... in paper of course.

Not even the abs of Jake Gyllenhaal could boost the movie version of the Prince of Persia game series to the top of the box office for the Memorial Day weekend. The Associated Press (yia Yahoo) reports that Prince of Persia The Sands of Time could only manage a third place finish in the box office in its debut weekend with $30.2 million.

That amount was behind the second place position of Sex and the City 2 with $32.1 million and first place's Shrek Forever After with $43.3 million. Even with the modest opening Prince of Persia The Sands of Time still had the third biggest box office opening for a video game-based movie, according to Box Office Mojo. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider is still number one at $47.7 million while (ugh) Pokemon: The First Movie is number two with $31 million.

http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/05/30/prince-of-persia-movie-comes-in-third-in-debut-weekend-with-30/

And of course a lovely 23% in Rotten Tomatoes.

http://beta.rottentomatoes.com/m/prince_of_persia_sands_of_time/?critic=creamcrop

At least the game based on the movie is good

Around the Network

I dunno I still want to see it. I'm not that suprised that Sex In the City 2 and Shrek beat it in the box office. Seriously gamers would be the major user base and the fanbase for Prince Of Persia is far smaller then those two properties. I'm always sceptical when a video game movie gets made but for the most part I will watch any game based movie (With the exception of Uwe Boll movies).

Resident Evil is one of my favorite movie series, I still love good old Pokemon not to mention Tomb Raider rocked I just wish a third one would be made!

I'm really floored for Prince Of Persia, I'm seeing it tuesday. No amount of bad press will keep me out of the theater!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

200 million budget for such a movie is bollocks.
Especially when the series is on an all time low.

23% Critical score for movies is damn good. Generally the ones that get 65+ most of the time suck.

Ill still rent it when it hits DVDs...but I must say this movie looked lame since day 1.

Around the Network

Okay... it's estimated that Avatar spent around $230 million... so how the heck could Prince of Persia even get close to $200 million?!

Oh wait, it's Jerry Bruckheimer. That explains it.

(At least Sex and the City 2 didn't hit #1...)

EDIT: I'm actually wanting to see the movie. Looks like an enjoyable popcorn flick and a good time with friends.

You leave out sooo much info it's bs.

You shoulda noted just what released this weekend with it...oh and last weekend...and the weekend before that.

It did better than expected for it's weekend outting. Next weeks hual will decide if it is a bust.

I've already seen updated info saying it took in 40million.

Smeags said:

Okay... it's estimated that Avatar spent around $230 million... so how the heck could Prince of Persia even get close to $200 million?!

Oh wait, it's Jerry Bruckheimer. That explains it.

(At least Sex and the City 2 didn't hit #1...)

EDIT: I'm actually wanting to see the movie. Looks like an enjoyable popcorn flick and a good time with friends.

You sure I heard the budget for Avatar was nearly 500-mill it was one of the most expensive movies ever made and tons of people expected it to tank and loose millions. 200-mill isn't that bad of a budget for a movie these days I think SuperMan cost like 250-mill to make and PiratesOfTheCaribean was 125-mill and that was half a decade ago movie production costs have rose alot since then!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

2.7 Billion dollars they are all swimming in right now.

Joelcool7 said:

You sure I heard the budget for Avatar was nearly 500-mill it was one of the most expensive movies ever made and tons of people expected it to tank and loose millions. 200-mill isn't that bad of a budget for a movie these days I think SuperMan cost like 250-mill to make and PiratesOfTheCaribean was 125-mill and that was half a decade ago movie production costs have rose alot since then!

It's all guessing at this point since Fox is being mum on the subject, but Titanic was the most expensive movie at its day with a $200 million budget in 1997 (that's $266,181,008 in today's numbers) and I thought I heard something about how Cameron was trying to stay somewhere close to that mark. *shrugs*

But still, $200 million for PoP... yikes.