By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prince of Persia Movie, not good weekend not good Meta

axumblade said:
binary solo said:
OK I think there's a bit of clarification needed here.

The Rotten tomatoes score is actually 39% (not 23%, that score is for the RT top critics only which does not include the sorts of critics that tend to like these sorts of movies). Still not a good score in absolute terms but one of the best for VG adaptations. My view is that if a VG adaptation gets >30% then there's a good chance gamers will think the movie is OK.

Boxoffice Mojo has estimated just above $30 million grossed for opening weekend. This is normally pretty accurate to within a million or so.

The movie isn't going to have good legs. It'll top out at $60 million max in North America, which is not a good performance for a big budget movie with a production budget of $200 million and a promotion budget of who knows what. While a lot of critics may be pretentious dicks when it comes to criticising pulp culture movies, the movies that are wildly successful at the box office yet get poor reviews are the exception to the rule (Transformers being an excellent example), and when they open with a sub $50 million weekend there's no coming back to become a surprise hit.

Thgis movie will have the glitz that other VG movies don't but its underbelly will still be part of the standard VG adaptation fare: poor translation of game story to movie screenplay.

But personallly I'm glad that PoP's rotten tomatoes score has come in under Robin Hood's. I think Robin Hood has been seriously underappreciated by the critics.

I was going to argue that it's a holiday weekend but taking that in account that it'll probably end up with about $36-7 million its first weekend. Adding in about $5-7 million for it's Tuesday-Thursday sales. Then a grim 60+% drop will probably give it an end around where you stated (although I do predict it will end up a little over). The international box office could help redeem it (which is what seems to be happening).

25%/75% split in USA / Int'l receipts is a big difference, and pretty unusual with notable exceptions. More usual is 40/60 and I would expect it to settle in around that sort of ratio. If it stays the way it is and USA it manages to crawl to $70 million then it's on track for a WW gross of $280 million. That sort of WW gross is OK, but it will still require solid DVD / BR sales for the movie to make a profit for the studio. From what I've seen poorly reviewed movies that end up doing well at the box office rely heavily on the US market to achieve good grosses (again Transformers is a good example). So I'm not really expecting the Int'l box office to redeem this movie. Though I hope it redeems Robin Hood.

With a budget of $200 million it'd need to make at least $400 million at the box office for a sequel to be assured. I don't see that happening.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

watched it Sat night... not a great movie but certainly not a bad movie at all. Definitely better than The Spirits Within.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

I just got back from the movie and I enjoyed it. The only POP game I played was the 2008 one though. I just watched the story runthrough on Gametrailers though and I'm glad that I saw the movie first or I would have been dissapointed.

PS3 Trophies

I won tickets to go see the premiere of the movie, and I actually enjoyed it (so did my girlfriend). To sum it up, sure the plot is simple and predictable, but what popular movies aren't (I'm talking to you avatar)

I went in not expecting much...just a fun movie, and that's exactly what it was. It was basically pirates of the caribbean + aladdin... w/ lamer acting but that's johnny depp's fault.

on a side-note, alfred molina was quite fun

So a big flop and another disaster for a movie based on a video game.

First weekend $30 million means ~$75 lifetime boxoffice in NA. Internationally an extra $150 mill ($200 mill if very lucky).

Lifetime total gross ~$250 mill of which roughly half is net revenue. No chance at profit. Disney lost a lot of money making this movie.

Around the Network

I seen the movie when i was down in London and i actually enjoyed it! Jake played the Prince very well

Playing the new game at the moment and enjoying that too, so am happy anyway!

The best way to describe the film would be "Pirates of the Caribbean without Johnny Depp. So yes it was stupid and long and over actioned. But I figure that if your going to see a stupid long and over actioned movie, at least this one doesn't take itself too seriously (unlike Robin Hood).

I do have one question about the movie/vs the games: In the games, was the prince adopted from the streets? Or was this just some lame hollywood thing to try and make their protagonist "such a sweet young guy"? The whole "I'm not a prince by birth thing" seemed really shoehorned in and unnecessary. 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Watched this movie a couple of days ago and I loved it. One of the best video game based movies I've seen.

Great special effects, action and humour. As someone has already pointed out Alfred Molina was hilarious.

This film deserves to make a profit IMHO, unlike Robin Hood which I found to be very ordinary to put it lightly.

When I saw the PG13 rating I started to smell shit coming out of the trailers. I still need to see it to have the last word. The best videogame based movie: Silent Hill (even though it is not revolutionary) and FF: The Spirits Within.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

It's up to about 110 Million now WW. Damn good for a video game movie.