By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Starcraft 2 DRM

vlad321 said:

Take Starcraft, dumb it down, change some units around, and you have SC2. For instance, the main support units, high templar, raven, and the infestor are just barely above useless. They are nothing compared to the Sciene vessel, HT, ad defiler from Starcraft 1 in what can be done with them. The balance is also off, whatever Blizz says, zerg have piss-poor air, many protoss units are utterly overpriced for how useless they are (Archons absolutely blow for instance). Terrans are the only race that feels like it's actually rounded off in terms of cost/use and just general usability. I play random btw so I don't really have a favorite race.

I mean just overall, the game feels like Starcraft 0.5. Not counting the fact that Battle.net 2.0 is worse than Gamespy. Either Blizzard has started sucking hardcore at making games, or they are saving up content for the next 2 releases. In either case, Wings of Liberty is worth no more than $30 as a package. They could have pushed $40 even.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the pile of shit that Bnet 2.0 is, this game would be so much better.

Raven barely above useless? That is the funniest thing I have read today. The unit is ridiculously good. Point defense drone alone makes it bad ass. Hunter Seeker Missile is pretty cool too, and it is the only mobile detector Terrans get. Hell PDD or the detector aspect alone are a great reason to get the unit. Both in one is obscene. You clearly have no idea how to use the unit.

Also, there is an off-line mode. My guess is it is single player only, but it is specifically disabled for the beta. So your basic thesis is completely and totally off-base. My guess is you will need to verify it once, and then connect online to play with other people.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

The recent Blizzard interview needs to become a headline.

I LOVE ICELAND!

@ Vlad. The points you made about gameplay are wrong (Except for the Archon) But I agree, the gameplay is watered down but for the following reasons. Zerg air is really scary, especially brood lords.

1 - Micro. The animation canceling and cool micro tricks using the subtle design of units in BW is gone. Instead we have ability micro and hard counters. Anyone can do it and it has no wow factor like in BW what so ever. Also, you can win standard games by just attack moving a ball of units and either press on if you're winning, or start using abilities/retreat if you are loosing.

2 - Online features. Battle.Net 0.2 is a joke. Oh, and no LAN.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Gnizmo said:
vlad321 said:

Take Starcraft, dumb it down, change some units around, and you have SC2. For instance, the main support units, high templar, raven, and the infestor are just barely above useless. They are nothing compared to the Sciene vessel, HT, ad defiler from Starcraft 1 in what can be done with them. The balance is also off, whatever Blizz says, zerg have piss-poor air, many protoss units are utterly overpriced for how useless they are (Archons absolutely blow for instance). Terrans are the only race that feels like it's actually rounded off in terms of cost/use and just general usability. I play random btw so I don't really have a favorite race.

I mean just overall, the game feels like Starcraft 0.5. Not counting the fact that Battle.net 2.0 is worse than Gamespy. Either Blizzard has started sucking hardcore at making games, or they are saving up content for the next 2 releases. In either case, Wings of Liberty is worth no more than $30 as a package. They could have pushed $40 even.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the pile of shit that Bnet 2.0 is, this game would be so much better.

Raven barely above useless? That is the funniest thing I have read today. The unit is ridiculously good. Point defense drone alone makes it bad ass. Hunter Seeker Missile is pretty cool too, and it is the only mobile detector Terrans get. Hell PDD or the detector aspect alone are a great reason to get the unit. Both in one is obscene. You clearly have no idea how to use the unit.

Also, there is an off-line mode. My guess is it is single player only, but it is specifically disabled for the beta. So your basic thesis is completely and totally off-base. My guess is you will need to verify it once, and then connect online to play with other people.

Mass Ravens is one of the scariest air forces in any game. But infestors and HTs are just a shadow of their BW counterparts.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Vertigo-X said:
Is there a Starcraft 2 Boycott? Maybe we should all sign up!

The best way to keep track of what's going on in the Starcraft community is www.Teamliquid.net

I know there has been talk of similar actions.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
vlad321 said:

Someone posted a link to a very recent interview about SC2. Now all the utter bullshit and crap (seriosuly, SC2 is gonna be shit whichever way you try to spin it)

Serious question: what is it like to be eternally angry at everything everywhere ever?

Cross-X said:
Don't Care. Starcraft II is gonna blow me away and I'm gonna enjoy every moment of it.

I guess you're not the only one who thinks that way, sadly.

No wonder Blizzard can loose thier philosophy of perfection and get away with it.

Personally. Blizzard was my favourite gaming company of all time. They polished their games even more than Nintendo, and had better community and multiplayer features becasue they were on PC. I have grown to expect perfection from Blizzard (and defend them fanatically against any critisism against them that I ever come across), but SC2 isn't perfect. It's a heavily flawed game, it's not a Blizzard game and if they will keep making non-Blizzard games from now on, I will stop buying their games, bacause if they have already given me perfection, I will not revert back to mediocre games. I have no interrest at all in the current form of SC2, and any new Blizzard games that will follow their new philisophy.

I LOVE ICELAND!

vlad321 said:

Someone posted a link to a very recent interview about SC2. Now all the utter bullshit and crap (seriosuly, SC2 is gonna be shit whichever way you try to spin it) aside this REALLY caught my attention:

I have one more question. I know you said you're not going to support LAN play with StarCraft, but there has been rumours that there might be some semi-offline mode – log on once to make sure that you have the client, and can connect. Are there any such plans?

The offline mode would be for the single-player component, so if you want to play the campaign offline, if you validate the version on Battle.net and then you play offline for campaign.

Basically, it's almost Ubisoft level DRM. For you to even play single-player you still have to ahve the initial internet connection. I mean seriousl Blizzard? Are you fucking with me? Cancelling my pre-order and booting up my torrent tracker because if the single-player of this game doesn't completely blow my mind (multi-player is very lackluster, definitely not something made over 12 years) I will not be buying this game until it's around $30.

Does it mean an initial internet connection EACH time you want to play campaign or just the first time?

There is a big difference between Ubisoft, always on internet connection and say a spore like DRM where you just have to validate your copy ONE TIME and then you can play.

If it's one time each time you want to play campaign - yeah I will admit that sucks, but not nearly as bad as ubisoft's always need to have a connection DRM.

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

noname2200 said:
vlad321 said:

Someone posted a link to a very recent interview about SC2. Now all the utter bullshit and crap (seriosuly, SC2 is gonna be shit whichever way you try to spin it)

Serious question: what is it like to be eternally angry at everything everywhere ever?

This anger is warranted though. It's Blizzard making a flawed game.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:

This anger is warranted though. It's Blizzard making a flawed game.

Irrelevant to the question: I literally can not recall a single time he was ever happy or upbeat about something; if it happened, it's rare enough that I haven't seen it.  It's a depressing situation.