By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Starcraft 2 DRM

noname2200 said:
vlad321 said:

Someone posted a link to a very recent interview about SC2. Now all the utter bullshit and crap (seriosuly, SC2 is gonna be shit whichever way you try to spin it)

Serious question: what is it like to be eternally angry at everything everywhere ever?

Just pised off about games that have been coming out for the past 3-4 years. They have turned to utter shit, and the new generation of gamers seems utterly fine with it simply because they don't know any better.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network

most people that say that the game is unbalanced are just noobs that dont really know how to play the game and cry because they cant really counter them even tough there are ways of countering every unit (doesnt mean that id doesnt have minor balancing issues). That said, I still prefer sc1 because it leaves more room for different strategies and there arent some crazy unit counter, for example on sc1 as toss u counter terran tanks with speedy zealots and shuttle drop, now u only have to make a bunch of inmortals and not much micro.. before everyone had counter there were epic fights with vulture tanks against, zealot dragon and it came down a lot more to micro than to unit composition... as the game is SC1 > SC2 , still SC2 is a good game, one of the best in the genre, but SC1 is way better (now), hope that later more expansions unables more ways of playing it and not just some standar 2 or 3 ways of playing the game. I have always played RTS games from SC1 to War3 a lot, spent so many hours on them, but i really dont know if this is a day one buy for me, the experience of the beta was good, but maybe i had very high hopes that didnt got fullfilled, i might give it some time before buying it and think better if i really want to spend the money on it

vlad321 said:

The Raven is utterly useless compared to the Science Vessel. Even the ghost's EMP is utterly shitty compared to the vessel's EMP. Oh yeah, the vessel was also a detector. As a science vessel replacement, the Raven is utter trash. High Templar are utter trash compared to their SC1 coutner parts, and the infestors are utter trasah compared to defilers.  Really, the entire game has been dumbed down to hell.

Just to drive my point home. Do you know what would happen to that so easily abusable and shitty MMM ball if irradiate was still around? I know that it would get decimated in about 4 seconds, maybe 5 at best. By oh no, we can't have a high skill requirement for this game, all the chobs have to be able to play as well. Same goes for Plague and the old Psi Storm that didn't suck. Oh yeah, I guess the bug cloud of the defiler would have the same effect on those kinds of strategies.

I am laughing so hard right now. I love how you mention Dark Swarm in the same sentence as Ravens. Have you even looked at what Point Defense Drone does? It will sound eerily familiar if you think about it. Go on. Look it up. I will be here, waiting.

MMM isn't even hard to counter. I can't remember the last time I saw it used effectively. If you lose to that then you seriously need to question whether or not you want SC2 more skill based. MMM is about the easiest thing to nut stomp, and not even close to the most effective plan of attack in any match-up.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

4lc0h0l said:
most people that say that the game is unbalanced are just noobs that dont really know how to play the game and cry because they cant really counter them even tough there are ways of countering every unit (doesnt mean that id doesnt have minor balancing issues). That said, I still prefer sc1 because it leaves more room for different strategies and there arent some crazy unit counter, for example on sc1 as toss u counter terran tanks with speedy zealots and shuttle drop, now u only have to make a bunch of inmortals and not much micro.. before everyone had counter there were epic fights with vulture tanks against, zealot dragon and it came down a lot more to micro than to unit composition... as the game is SC1 > SC2 , still SC2 is a good game, one of the best in the genre, but SC1 is way better (now), hope that later more expansions unables more ways of playing it and not just some standar 2 or 3 ways of playing the game. I have always played RTS games from SC1 to War3 a lot, spent so many hours on them, but i really dont know if this is a day one buy for me, the experience of the beta was good, but maybe i had very high hopes that didnt got fullfilled, i might give it some time before buying it and think better if i really want to spend the money on it

No, just no. I started off in the Bronze leagues and fought tooth and nail to the now diamond leagues as a random player. o matter which way you spin it can you say that Zerg has any worthwhile anti-air. The entirety f the zerg anti-air is the hydralisk, and that's it. Mutalisks get absolutely eaten up by anything that can attack air for them to be good anti air, unless its Banshees we're talking about in which case they do just fine. Wouldn't be so bad if hydras weren't abel to be torn apart by much cheaper and faster armies of zerglings/marines/zealots.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Gnizmo said:
vlad321 said:

The Raven is utterly useless compared to the Science Vessel. Even the ghost's EMP is utterly shitty compared to the vessel's EMP. Oh yeah, the vessel was also a detector. As a science vessel replacement, the Raven is utter trash. High Templar are utter trash compared to their SC1 coutner parts, and the infestors are utter trasah compared to defilers.  Really, the entire game has been dumbed down to hell.

Just to drive my point home. Do you know what would happen to that so easily abusable and shitty MMM ball if irradiate was still around? I know that it would get decimated in about 4 seconds, maybe 5 at best. By oh no, we can't have a high skill requirement for this game, all the chobs have to be able to play as well. Same goes for Plague and the old Psi Storm that didn't suck. Oh yeah, I guess the bug cloud of the defiler would have the same effect on those kinds of strategies.

I am laughing so hard right now. I love how you mention Dark Swarm in the same sentence as Ravens. Have you even looked at what Point Defense Drone does? It will sound eerily familiar if you think about it. Go on. Look it up. I will be here, waiting.

MMM isn't even hard to counter. I can't remember the last time I saw it used effectively. If you lose to that then you seriously need to question whether or not you want SC2 more skill based. MMM is about the easiest thing to nut stomp, and not even close to the most effective plan of attack in any match-up.

Maybe you should really read up on what the drone does, because it is nowhere near the same as Dark Swarm. Off the top of my head without looking up anything, it's useless vs the Brood Lords, Marines, and Immortals. Oh yes, it also only stops about 20 projectiles. If you are lucky one will stop a full barrage of a marauder army once. Comparing Point Defense Drone to Dark Swarm is just absolutely laughable.

You maybe also missed my argument by example. A few well used support units from SC1 will put an end to just about every strategy that exists in SC2 in the way it is used. It'd take a lot more skill than ordering a counter unit to go kill what it countners, which is what SC2 is right now.

Around the Network
vlad321 said:

Maybe you should really read up on what the drone does, because it is nowhere near the same as Dark Swarm. Off the top of my head without looking up anything, it's useless vs the Brood Lords, Marines, and Immortals. Oh yes, it also only stops about 20 projectiles, whicha a grup of marauders. or a few battle cruisers, or vikings, or really anything, will go through in 2 seconds flat. Comparing Point Defense Drone to Dark Swarm is just absolutely luaghable.

You maybe also missed my argument by example. A few well used support units from SC1 will put an end to just about every strategy that exists in SC2 in the way it is used. It'd take a lot more skill than ordering a counter unit to go kill what it countners, which is what SC2 is right now.

PDD kills Terran air. There is not one unit (save Ravens with Auto Turret and maybe HSM) that can actually function when one is around. Proper use of Ravens is critical to TvT match-ups. The one using Ravens better beats the other guys Vikings everytime, which gives the tanks better vision.

And actually no, you didn't make that argument at all. Which is good because it is dead wrong. You whined about MMM and how irriadiate could stop a tactic that is useless outside of the lower leagues. What other common strategies would be killed? Banshee rushes, the most relevant given your Zerg examples, wouldn't even be modified by the Defiler being in the game. It would still come out way too slow, as an example.

If you really think its simple order counters against counters then I have to wonder what game you have been playing. Certainly not any mirror matches I can think of, although my knowledge of Zerg is limited to beating them by abusing Mech.

Although what is really funny is you skipped over the part of my post that is on topic, and ignored the fact that the DRM claim you made is entirely, 100%, flat out wrong. It would be nice if you at least admitted you jumped the gun, and over reacted without nearly all the information.

Gnizmo said:
vlad321 said:

Maybe you should really read up on what the drone does, because it is nowhere near the same as Dark Swarm. Off the top of my head without looking up anything, it's useless vs the Brood Lords, Marines, and Immortals. Oh yes, it also only stops about 20 projectiles, whicha a grup of marauders. or a few battle cruisers, or vikings, or really anything, will go through in 2 seconds flat. Comparing Point Defense Drone to Dark Swarm is just absolutely luaghable.

PDD kills Terran air. There is not one unit (save Ravens with Auto Turret and maybe HSM) that can actually function when one is around. Proper use of Ravens is critical to TvT match-ups. The one using Ravens better beats the other guys Vikings everytime, which gives the tanks better vision.

And actually no, you didn't make that argument at all. Which is good because it is dead wrong. You whined about MMM and how irriadiate could stop a tactic that is useless outside of the lower leagues. What other common strategies would be killed? Banshee rushes, the most relevant given your Zerg examples, wouldn't even be modified by the Defiler being in the game. It would still come out way too slow, as an example.

If you really think its simple order counters against counters then I have to wonder what game you have been playing. Certainly not any mirror matches I can think of, although my knowledge of Zerg is limited to beating them by abusing Mech.

Although what is really funny is you skipped over the part of my post that is on topic, and ignored the fact that the DRM claim you made is entirely, 100%, flat out wrong. It would be nice if you at least admitted you jumped the gun, and over reacted without nearly all the information.

Ravens have their uses, and so do HT, and so do Infestors, but they are absolutely lame compared to suport units form SC1.

Think any strategy that has units all balled up and doesn't take into acout careful micro. The only strategies that won't be thrown in the trash by a support unit, played right, from SC1 is probably the mass baneling (which is a shit strategy o begin with). As the game is right now, you roll up your army to their base and kill their army and base. You could at best give yourself even more intricate strategies of a decoy or a wo pronged attack, but it's still the basic "roll in the units and click on the countered units and gg." In fact I can probably list off all the viable strategies for each race on my fingers. As it stands, the game is half of what Brood Wars was.

As for your on topic comment, maybe you should read a little carefully, single-player is offline, but you need to authenticate into battlenet first to play single-player. That right there is DRM just short of being constantly authenticated like Ubisoft's.

Since the OP broke a few rules I'm just gonna go ahead and lock this thread, since we don't condone piracy here or support it's promotion.

~locking~

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

vlad321 said:

Ravens have their uses, and so do HT, and so do Infestors, but they are absolutely lame compared to suport units form SC1.

Think any strategy that has units all balled up and doesn't take into acout careful micro. The only strategies that won't be thrown in the trash by a support unit, played right, from SC1 is probably the mass baneling (which is a shit strategy o begin with). As the game is right now, you roll up your army to their base and kill their army and base. You could at best give yourself even more intricate strategies of a decoy or a wo pronged attack, but it's still the basic "roll in the units and click on the countered units and gg." In fact I can probably list off all the viable strategies for each race on my fingers. As it stands, the game is half of what Brood Wars was.

As for your on topic comment, maybe you should read a little carefully, single-player is offline, but you need to authenticate into battlenet first to play single-player. That right there is DRM just short of being constantly authenticated like Ubisoft's.

No, you don't. There is an off-line mode. There is an option for it right now, in the client you are using. When you hover over the button it says "disabled for beta." Try to log into battle.net when you are not connected to the internet to see just how wrong you are.

So I see you are skipping right past the banshee thing then. You are playing random in Diamond yes? So you are familiar with the 4 warp gate proxy pylon rush that is pretty much dominant in the PvP arena currently? That involves zero balling up and rolling in, and a lot of pulling off the right strategy. TvT is another example of how wrong you are. No ball of units is going to get close to working cause they will be nuked by either Seige Tanks, or Vikings.

Oh, and High Templars would shit all over mass banelings. Seige Tanks currently crush them. Have I mentioned that you can Banshee rush Zerg? which support unit stops that hrmm?