By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A new low for gaming media?

Regardless of your like or hate for Jeff, it's appalling that he would be fired for a review. I've noticed in the last few months that Gamespot has really gone downhill (IMO). I've quite visiting their site and spend more time on IGN for reviews now.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

He should sue I mean that is what everyone does right. Seriously that would suck if he got fired for his opinion on a game unless it was in his contract to keep in mind the feelings of the developers/publishers.

Meh, this all sounds rediculous. Imo, its most likely all true though. Lets look at the facts:

- That Tim guy has decided to quit as a result of what happened to Jeff, so what happened to Jeff must have been pretty serious.

- Jeff's reviews were always controvertial, but never bad. For example, with the Twilight Princess review people got really pissed off with the 8.8/10 score, which is just rediculous. Because a game didnt score above 9.0 doesnt mean its bad. With Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 and its 10/10 score... maybe it doesnt deserve a 10 (no game deserves it as no game is perfect), but it was still a bloody good game at the time. His reviews were different, but they werent so bad that it would result in him getting fired.

- Gamespot has been looked at as being biased for a long time, especially with Microsoft and X360 games. This has been a topic of debate for some time now, and many believe that Gamespot are bribed and influenced by publishers to a certain extent.

- And the final one... Cnet has not commented on it yet. Now, this is what i believe is the biggest factor... Considering the massive outlash against both Eidos and CNet/Gamespot since this happened, i think its quite weird that neither has commented on it yet. If it was due to the fact that he was inconsistent (i doubt it), or another factor, then why dont they just tell everyone and stop this mess from continuing? Why are they just letting it go on like this, when they are losing customers and people are saying they will "boycott" their products in outrage?

tk1989 said:

- And the final one... Cnet has not commented on it yet. Now, this is what i believe is the biggest factor... Considering the massive outlash against both Eidos and CNet/Gamespot since this happened, i think its quite weird that neither has commented on it yet. If it was due to the fact that he was inconsistent (i doubt it), or another factor, then why dont they just tell everyone and stop this mess from continuing? Why are they just letting it go on like this, when they are losing customers and people are saying they will "boycott" their products in outrage?

90% of the people will have forgotten about this incident and moved on within two weeks. Anything they would say regarding this issue would only prolong the incident itself and give it more publicity.

Saying nothing and letting it die a mysterious death is probably their best choice short of outright, incontrovertible proof that nothing malicious has been done.

Hey gave Zelda: TP an 8.8...

He should of been fired just for that.

Around the Network

A great distinguisher between Nintendo fans who really understand the company's greatness and success, and stupid fanboy nimrods who aren't worth the HTML they post in, is if they got angry over a GameSpot review of Zelda.

Let's give this Gerstmann guy some credit for not backing down. Hopefully one of the bloggier sites who turn down press junkets will pick him up.

Everyone saying "LOL. Glad I use IGN." is a fool. STOP READING GAME REVIEWS TO DECIDE WHICH GAMES TO BUY. How many times do you need to see that the system is rigged before you stop using it?

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.