By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A new low for gaming media?

Eidos still makes games?... Dear God

Around the Network
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Eidos still makes games?... Dear God

And apparently they also make big fits when one of thier few meager games gets slammed on a site they paid advterising for.

Jeff gave out crappy reviews. He's reviews often contradicted each other (SMS was too similar to SM64, but for Halo 2 he says "if it ain't broke don't fix it"), were often wide of the mark of the average review, and often focused on petty things that shouldn't have that much impact on the final score of a game.

• Giving the original Gran Turismo a 7.9 back when GameSpot was known as VideoGames.com. This review was later removed after protest.
  •   Giving the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess an 8.8, with only a 7 in sound because the speaker in the Wiimote sounds "tinny".
  • Giving Super Mario Sunshine an 8.0

Overall, this is a sad day for the review industry, but a good day for GameSpot. That guy needed to go.

Btw, I wish people would use more descriptive thread titles. I just posted a thread on this in the OT forum, not knowing this was here because of it's thread title.

One of the problems with Gamespot reviews in the past was that the total score was specifically derived from a formula based on each individual factor. The fact that they are no longer restricted by that system is at least a step in the right direction.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Around the Network

Whoa whoa, you people actually read reviews? Well in all my years...

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

How many of you guys are actually paying members of these type of biased sites with staff that would sell their momma for a dollar. I am sure glad I am part of Gamershell and don't subscribe or even visit these types of biased sites.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

I don't understand how people not liking what the man wrote somehow justifies him getting fired in this manner. This is NOT a good thing.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Sqrl said:
Wow, there were so many good reasons to fire the guy. Why would they pick the one shitty one? Morons.

LOL, so true.  Maybe it's all a coincidence?  I'll stop visiting Gamespot either way (not that I did so very often), at least until all the information comes out.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

SHMUPGurus said:

Reminds me of Ubisoft's move towards that one magazine a couple of weeks ago... Tell me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, which site gave Assassin's Creed a bad review (anything below 8 was considered unacceptable by Ubisoft), and then Ubisoft flipped out and pulled a ton of future advertising?

Gamers should be just as pissed off at Ubisoft as they are at Gamespot/Cnet and Eidos...

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick