By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A new low for gaming media?

misteromar mk4 said:
Jeff Gerstmann was crap anyway, alot of his reviews where very bias.

Oh yeah? bias against what? Are you one of these ppl still crying over the Zelda: TP review? Just cause he didn't give it the score you want doesn't make him biased........

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

He will not be missed. I just hope this event affects GS credibility. They usually review great games slighter below the average score, hyped great games much below average and crappy games advertised on their site a lot above the average.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

ItsaMii said:
He will not be missed. I just hope this event affects GS credibility. They usually review great games slighter below the average score, hyped great games much below average and crappy games advertised on their site a lot above the average.

If the reason for his sacking was the review then Gamespot's credibilty is now gone. The worrying thing is that you have to wonder how many other sites are in a similar position to them.

Saiyar said:
ItsaMii said:

If the reason for his sacking was the review then Gamespot's credibilty is now gone. The worrying thing is that you have to wonder how many other sites are in a similar position to them.

Yeah, they all have incompetent, illiterate reviewers.

Oh, that's not what you meant?

ckmlb said:
Jetlogs said:
PROTIP: every gaming review site is always in a state of conflict of interest. If they don't give a game good review -> no site ad revenue if sponsor pulls out -> no more advanced copies -> no more early reviews

Not true, go check 1up, they give very low scores to games being advertised there all the time (most recently Time Crisis).

Their sponsor still has all the power to remove their ads from 1UP, or worse they can deny 1UP reviewers advanced review copies of games. Unless 1UP can stay afloat without help from game sponsors or review copies, the conflict of interest would still be there.

Video Game Papercrafts

The only reason Sakurai allowed Snake is because he was already a clone

Wii Friend Code: 2854 9908 3926 2816

Around the Network
Saiyar said:
ItsaMii said:

Probably all of them. On TV you just sell your time and companies try to sell you their stuff. On game media things are a little more promiscous. Reviews and previews are a big part of these sites. A lot of games (dumb people IM O) make their decisions based on reviews and hype. Publishers waste a shitload of money on advertisement and they expect this to pay off. What would happen if a game site rated one of these games very low? The answer is pretty obvious.

Let me quote Sean Malstrom:

"It is very curious as the gamers would like more information and less hype. Yet, all we get is hype. What is going on? Why are the customers not being served?

The answer is because the reader is not the customer. Rather, the customer is the PRODUCT. The customers are the game companies. They put in the ads and supply the content. The purpose of a game magazine is not to deliver news to you. Rather, the purpose is to deliver you to the game companies".

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72
The guys at Gamespot are invading the Eidos boards.

---------------
The Board is the best site on the Internet.

ItsaMii said:
Saiyar said:
ItsaMii said:

Probably all of them. On TV you just sell your time and companies try to sell you their stuff. On game media things are a little more promiscous. Reviews and previews are a big part of these sites. A lot of games (dumb people IM O) make their decisions based on reviews and hype. Publishers waste a shitload of money on advertisement and they expect this to pay off. What would happen if a game site rated one of these games very low? The answer is pretty obvious.

Let me quote Sean Malstrom:

"It is very curious as the gamers would like more information and less hype. Yet, all we get is hype. What is going on? Why are the customers not being served?

The answer is because the reader is not the customer. Rather, the customer is the PRODUCT. The customers are the game companies. They put in the ads and supply the content. The purpose of a game magazine is not to deliver news to you. Rather, the purpose is to deliver you to the game companies".

Interesting quote.  So this begs the question:  Is there any value to reviews at all?  I've always said there was value to the content, but not the score.  However, if review sites are all truly influenced by their advertisers, is the content of a review reliable either?  

Personally, I often find the content of reviews useful from IGN and Gametrailers, but not the scores.  For recent examples:  Gametrailers reviewed AC and Bleach Wii recently.  They blasted both repeatedly in their review for some major gameplay issues, but gave AC a 9.1 and Bleach Wii an 8.6.  They certainly don't have Bleach advertisements on the site, so I don't think that affected the score, but I think scores by their very nature are not accurate.  It's hard to accurately place a value on the content of a game when different issues mean different things to different people (See: Twesterm's Mass Effect review). 

it boils down to advertiser interests versus information in the interest of the public good, which media is supposed to provide. this is not some crazy isolated instance, either.

this sort of thing is nothing new when talking about media in general. 

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

I never liked Gamespot's reviews because I found the text/content to be wildly inconsistent for different reviews even for the same author and they definitely fail to justify their scores a lot of the time, high or low, but this is pretty ridiculous.