By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3 Reasons Why Super Mario Galaxy 2 Doesn't Deserve 10s

NYANKS said:
Mazty said:
Wow an honest review that doesn't pander to all the pre-order owners which seems to now rule modern gaming.

Where have you been the last few years?  Those people might rule the reviews and the forums (aka the internetz), but they don't rule gaming anymore.

? Sadly I'd beg to differ because of the success of the pre-order games aka hyped games. Mario Galaxy is a good platformer so deserves it's praise (maybe not all the "Bezt gaem ever" BS), but take a turd like MW2 and now that's the benchmark for FPS' even though many seasoned gamers would say it's one of the weakest FPS' this generation. And end of the day sales = who defines gaming. 

Around the Network
NYANKS said:
Metallicube said:
DixieKong said:
You know, it's funny. People always make fun of the Wii and say it doesn't have any highly rated games, and then whenever it does get high rated games, they say it doesn't deserve it. It's ridiculous.

Yep, you nailed it.. Wii can never do anything right in the eyes of some people.

My take on the backlash on Galaxy 2's great scores by some people is that they have this precieved notion that Wii is supposed to be the console with inferior games to the precious HD consoles. It's one of the few things they have left to diss the Wii on, now that it's proven to have the most hardware sales, most software sales, most and best exclusives, best price, motion controls, which the competitors are now immitating, even the best 3rd party sales. The apparent lack of AAA core games is one of the last bastions they have to hold against the Wii, and now that something is occuring to disrupt that preconcieved notion, they don't know how to handle it, so they lash out.

This obviously doesn't fit the mold for everyone, as some people just simply don't agree with the reviews, which is understandable. But this is the only way I can see to explain the irrational HATRED and anger for the reviews coming from some people.

Best exclusives? No.  That has not been remotely proven.  The console has the weakest lineup of good games of almost any winning console if anything.  And it would be nice to see megatons aisde from the usual suspects once in a while.  It guarantees Ninty will always have good games on their consoles and it's why most people on this site have a Wii, but new great ip's would be great every now and then.  And for alot of us, the Wii series doesn't cut it. 

And just because it has the lowest price doesn't mean it has the highest value.  Why would anyone aspire to make higher tech machinery if that was the case?  Once the PS3 gets move the only thing the platform will lack is Ninty's experitse in software. 

Notice I said best EXCLUSIVES, not best library. The HD consoles both have great games, probably moreso than the Wii, but they sort of take value from eachother in a sense by having the majority of their great games on both consoles. I think most can reasonably agree that in terms of EXCLUSIVES, the Wii shines best.

Maybe to you it's not the best value, but somehow I think a console with Wii Sports and Sports Resort, and a controller w/ motion plus, for $200, is a pretty damn good dea, and I think many people feel the same way...

When PS3 gets the Move, it'll lack more than just Nintendo's games. It'll also lack the context in which motion controlled games are used. Which is, reaching out and making new types of gaming experiences for new (and ex) gaming audiences. I don't see Sony doing this with the Move. All I see is cheap cash in "casual" titles and tacked on motion control for already existing core games, which is why the Move will fail. Pointing to motion controls for the root of Wii's success is largely missing the point of its success.

Your post is full of pretty weak arguments and generally minority viewpoints against the Wii, which to me further proves my last post :P

Mazty said:
NYANKS said:
Mazty said:
Wow an honest review that doesn't pander to all the pre-order owners which seems to now rule modern gaming.

Where have you been the last few years?  Those people might rule the reviews and the forums (aka the internetz), but they don't rule gaming anymore.

? Sadly I'd beg to differ because of the success of the pre-order games aka hyped games. Mario Galaxy is a good platformer so deserves it's praise (maybe not all the "Bezt gaem ever" BS), but take a turd like MW2 and now that's the benchmark for FPS' even though many seasoned gamers would say it's one of the weakest FPS' this generation. And end of the day sales = who defines gaming. 

But you say the "seasoned gamer" disagrees.  I thought the seasoned gamer was the people who don't rule gaming.  Let's face it, MW2 is a very "casual" game, similar to the majority of Wii gamers (aka the ones who buy games based on how cool the cover looks).  And the main Nintendo games have sales that are even crazier then MW2.  I think we agree actually.

It's just kinda funny how the article says that it added yoshi, new power ups, power ups for yoshi, all new levels, and then says it's a copy paste job, which contradicts with his third point as well on the cutting part. If you read it closely, it's full of fail and end of that imo.

Metallicube said:
DixieKong said:
You know, it's funny. People always make fun of the Wii and say it doesn't have any highly rated games, and then whenever it does get high rated games, they say it doesn't deserve it. It's ridiculous.

Yep, you nailed it.. Wii can never do anything right in the eyes of some people.

My take on the backlash on Galaxy 2's great scores by some people is that they have this precieved notion that Wii is supposed to be the console with inferior games to the precious HD consoles. It's one of the few things they have left to diss the Wii on, now that it's proven to have the most hardware sales, most software sales, most and best exclusives, best price, motion controls, which the competitors are now immitating, even the best 3rd party sales. The apparent lack of AAA core games is one of the last bastions they have to hold against the Wii, and now that something is occuring to disrupt that preconcieved notion, they don't know how to handle it, so they lash out.

This obviously doesn't fit the mold for everyone, as some people just simply don't agree with the reviews, which is understandable. But this is the only way I can see to explain the irrational HATRED and anger for the reviews coming from some people.

I'd add that a lot of "hardcore" gamers have tried to convince themselves that Wii has "no good games" so they feel like they can skip owning a Wii and still experience all the best games of this generation.

Then, when games like Galaxy 1 and 2 come out and are hailed as some of the best out there, they try to belittle them to prop up their flawed belief system and justify their bias.

Around the Network

2 and 3 are contradictory, thus the author is a fucking troll who is trying to insult SMG2 without having any legitimate claims other than "I hate teh Wii'

How the fuck can you dislike the lives system on the basis that it wastes time and then like the overworld? The castle is 64 was a huge world full of linear coridoors that added nothing to the game and wasted my time.

I'm sorry, how can anyone take this guy seriously?

And as for the first, if they changed much more than they did people would start saying that it's "a good game, but it's just not Mario"

And as for his other, slightly more legitimate points... Oh wait, he only said the three things I have already destroyed. Moving on to a better thread now

Edit - why did I end one of my sentences with 'Can't point' I scare me sometimes

Isn't this subject done to death. If the reveiwers are giving retread games like GTA series a 10 and that was discussed. Then this particular article that SMG2 doesn't deserve 10's to be the same lame. So essentially the writer is guilty of the same actions as the reivewers for giving 10's.

Well then I give this article/thread a 10.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

What this guy is doing is making a huge deal out of things that aren't very important. For example, he complains that the map for selecting levels is not exciting. First of all, WHO CARES? The map is not the important part of the game, the GAMEPLAY is the important part. If the map was the exact same as it was in SMG 1, I'm sure he would've said "Oh my gosh, the map is the exact same as it was in the first game, why can't they change it? I don't want to choose my levels the same way I did in Galaxy 1, I want some thing new!!"

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

umm... I thought that The Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time was THE BEST game according to metacritic with a score of 99.

Looking @ this makes me feel old...PROUD owner of NES, SNES, GENESIS, TurboGrafx 16 (PCE), N64, PSOne, PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox360, and PC.

Wagram said:
ph4nt said:
Nintendogamer said:
I saw no article like this when GTAIV got all the perfect 10's.

Becauuse GTA 4 wasn't made by NIntendo.

It has nothing to do with Nintendo. Nintendo is getting called out for being lazy and copy and pasting their games. Seriously do we need to same music, characters, stars, animations in EVERY GAME? I mean come on?

WHAT A TWIST! Mario said "HERE WE GOOO!!!"

yea because your beloved squaresoft doesnt recycle at all.

ill make it easier. FF8 was a cut and paste of FF2, 4, 6, well, all of em lol

good game? yes

9.1-10? HELL NO

ooh, banned AND burned