By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: EDGE, Natal To Cost $149

thx1139 said:
The $150 price doesnt matter. The important price is the console plus Natal bundle. Remember the purpose of Natal is to increase the install base, not to sell Natals to existing customers.

As I said earlier it will be MS marketing that is on the spot here.

A typical Wii setup as sold today is about $300.
Wii $200
Wii Board $50 (about 50% of Wii purchasers get the Wii Board)
Extra Wii controller setup $50 (WiiMote+nunchuk). Not everyone picks up a 2nd controller setup day 1.

MS marketing has to sell to that. This will take some really good commercials. I really think infomercial route also needs to be done. A good quality piece of exercise software coupled with Natal and a 20 minute informercial on Oxygen, etc. will help big time.

Good points here, because they are trying to get new customers, so natal console is what matters more. 

I am hoping that all the consoles that they will sale will come with natal, even the elites.

Kinect! who needs video games!

Around the Network

Value arguments tend not to work in the games market. It doesn't matter in the end that a 360+Natal might be comparable/cheaper to a 4 person Wii/M+ or PS3/Move setup, just like it didn't matter that a standard PS3 was comparable/cheaper to a 360 with a Live subscription plus HD-DVD & WiFi add-ons. What seems to matter most is the initial price of entry.

I bought a HD-DVD drive for $180 when it came out, and that thing was obsolete in a matter of months.... and now i'm suppossed to be interested in in this camera with still no clear game support or possibility's for $150?

I don't think so. Give me a 50% discount and i might think about it.

Besides if Nintendo wants they can drop the price of the Wii to $150, making this accessoire as expensive as a complete console.( i would rather buy a Wii witch gives me access to an entirely new library of games than an extra for a console i already own.)

AnthonyW86 said:
I bought a HD-DVD drive for $180 when it came out, and that thing was obsolete in a matter of months.... and now i'm suppossed to be interested in in this camera with still no clear game support or possibility's for $150?

I don't think so. Give me a 50% discount and i might think about it.

HD DVD had very little backing, basically just Toshiba.

Natal has the pledged support of uummm around 70% of publishers, approximately. 

And it is not just limited to the 360, it (if what I heard was correct) will also be used in the PC market.

I do understand your hesitation though, since we haven't seen anything substantial. (maybe I am letting my hope get the best of me, concerning natals success)

Kinect! who needs video games!

jarrod said:
Value arguments tend not to work in the games market. It doesn't matter in the end that a 360+Natal might be comparable/cheaper to a 4 person Wii/M+ or PS3/Move setup, just like it didn't matter that a standard PS3 was comparable/cheaper to a 360 with a Live subscription plus HD-DVD & WiFi add-ons. What seems to matter most is the initial price of entry.

Yup, quite correct.  The double edged sword here is MS is targeting the casual audience (if I can call it that) rather than the audience more likely to sum up all costs and consider total value.

In retail the initial entry price is much more important than the final cost - which is why so many people unwittingly set of down paths that cost $50 to start with and end up at $300 dollars in total.

The average retail consumer will look at the price and see $150 as the entry price for Natal to add to 360 vs perhaps sub $100 for Move (if reports are true).

Of course, the more important comparison is the bundle with the Wii, as other's have noted.  And again the issue I see is that for the average consumer the entry price for 360/Natal bundle is going to seem much more expensive than the current market leader (the Wii).

Sony have been pushing the value arguement for ages, and it's pretty clear it didn't really resonate much.  All that really mattered was lowering the initial entry price - that's what drove more sales.

Now Natal does seem okay compared to 4 controllers - but that's a comparison few will make.  In a sense Natal forces you to go all in - you have to pay all up in advance vs buy in installments.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

ramses01 said:
One possible reason for the high initial price that occured to me is that NATAL is going to be heavily supply constrained at launch. At the $99 price, MS would probably move ~10-12 million NATALs during the christmas quarter. At $150 that will be closer to 5-7 million.

10-12 million in 3 months? Very over done there more like 10-12 million in like never. during christmas maybe if it's lucky 500,000

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

AnthonyW86 said:

Posts like this drive me up a tree.  Do you not understand that MS is waiting until E3 for one big unveiling. Last year was the unveiling of the concept and prototype.  This year at E3 is the unveiling of the real device and the real games for fall delivery.  They have had no interest in trickling out informtation.  As for your comment about the Wii.  The difference is as I see it.  With the 360 with Natal you will get the best of hardcore and motion gaming (assuming the natal works as advertised).  Wii doesnt offer that possibility.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Wow way too expensive. I'm more exited about Natal than Move, but at those prices it''s gonna take a hell of a lot of software support to get me involved. Not to mention the very real possibuility that both Move and Natal face the slow death of most non-pack-in console accessories. $99 really is the sweet spot for me.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

I misunderstood. So it's an arcade at $300 with a game. Can this even work without hdd save space? Waiting for E3 and then some.

Recon1O1 said:
I misunderstood. So it's an arcade at $300 with a game. Can this even work without hdd save space? Waiting for E3 and then some.

probably no online use with natal if no space is required.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...