By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: EDGE, Natal To Cost $149

V-r0cK said:
Dampfi said:

I am not sure if renaming Natal would be a good move (haha) because the name has been round for a long time now.

Its been around long as Ultra 64 and Nintendo Revolution lol

But is does not sound as ridiculous as Ultra 64 and N Revolution ;)

I think this would be overpriced, even with a game. I cannot imagine that a 150$ additional hardware can boost the original console.

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:
Xoj said:
too expensive for a 1.3mpx camera and a cmos sensor.

And $60 is too expensive for a dvd or blu ray.

True, but thats hard to change the price due to the rest of the market.  Natal is currently the only one of its kind so MS can price it however they want.

It's gonna be even more expensive in the EU.

God, I hope this is some sort of mistranslation.

thank god this is a rumor, personally believe that would be suicide to release it at that price,I doubt Microsoft would be silly enough to release at this price. I think in the end micro will so what Skeeuk predicts.

Around the Network

well it's the price of cosoles last gen at one point in time. i'd prefure $100, but $149 seems reasonable?

Just wondering - what's the usual accuracy of Edge for this kind of thing? Do they often post rumours? I'm imagining that if they're willing to quote this they think it might be true, which is a lot different than some gamers blog for me.

But maybe I'm missing something and they post wild rumours all the time.

Anyone got a view on this?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Xoj said:
too expensive for a 1.3mpx camera and a cmos sensor.

Even if that was all that was in it what about all the custom software inside it that makes it, you know, work?  Or are you saying you should only be paying for the cost of materials....because if thats true then all games should cost less than a dollar because the software that is on the disc is not worth anything....according to you.

OT - $150 is not too much if it comes with a great game or 2.  The Rock Band and GH franchises showed that people will pay for the hardware if the software is worth it.  RB wouldn't be the same game if you weren't using the custom controllers.  The controllers are an INTEGRAL part of the experience.  Likely whatever games come with Natal will be the same.

We'll have to see next month at E3.

Value wise $150 actually works if you think about it. For instance you get nearly everything Wii Board offers besides a scale. Natal can offer exercise games without a board being required. Multiple controllers are not required for multi-player motion games like the Wii or the PS3 will require.

The problem comes in with initial reaction and people simply moving past the 360 to the Wii because of the apparent but not real cost difference.

This will be an interesting challenge for MS to get past. Think they will need to offer some real compelling software as part of the purchase. A mini game compilation like WiiSports and an exercise game like WiiFit as part of bundle.

I also believe that Natal sales and marketing needs to include infomercials. 30 second TV spots will be harder to get across you dont need one for all players that will be needed to help get past a >$100 price point.

As for bundle STOP talking about a 20GB HDD. They cost to much. Yet including an 8GB Flash Drive would be a good idea. Would cost MS less than $10 per console to include an 8GB Flash Drive while 20GB HDD would be custom order product and would cost more than a 250GB HDD costs MS.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Sometimes (if not most of the times) rumors are true. I think it might be $150 or even more. MS still have they network adapter and hard drives at $100 so no doubt about it, Natal will be pricey.