By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will there ever be a 3d mario game that isn't star finder mario?

Will there ever be a 3d mario game that isn't star finder mario?

Yes 18 20.00%

No 21 23.33%

That would be the best thing ever 18 20.00%

that would never work 6 6.67%

YOU DARE TAKE AWAY MY EXP... 18 20.00%

other junk answers :b 9 10.00%

Total:90

i really don't think the level count is relevant. Most of the smb, smw levels are very close copies of one another. Its a much better idea to have fewer levels with more ways to complete them if they can be better done because of it. Why make a 2D/3D mario when they already have made separate 2D and 3D mario game for the wii, both of which have sold great

Around the Network

I would love to see a 3D Mario that captured the essence of the 2D games. That is; get from beginning to end, destroying enemies, dodging obstacles, fast paced arcade style action, heavy emphasis on powerups, etc.

I do enjoy the 3D Mario games, and Mario 64 remains not only one of my favorite Mario games, but one of my favorite GAMES in general. However, they simply don't beat the classic 2D Mario games. They aren't quite as addictive, and aren't as fast paced "pick up and play."

At least make a 3D Mario game similar in quality and style to Mario 64. Sunshine was a decent game but largely disappointing environment and stupid gimmick of the waterpack. Galaxy was a step in the right direction, but I wasn't too fond of the small planets. The concept of "galaxies" and different (mostly) small planets is somewhat uninspired (from an atmospheric viewpoint), and falls short compared to the epic environments of Mario 64, and the thrill of jumping into paintings, experiencing massive and different worlds.

What the Mario series TRULY needs (whether 2D or 3D), is a step into a whole new set of worlds, like the Mushroom Kingdom and Dinosaur Land, but with new environments. We've seen the same old water worlds, ice worlds, fire worlds, and desert worlds.

But what about something fresh like, oh say.. crater world, where you dodge asteroids. Or glass world, where you slip and slide around and can crack walls? Or chemical world, where Mario enters a toxic environment and can be killed by radioactive waste or be hindered by exposure to radiation? The possibilities are really endless if you be creative. Mario needs to recapture that essence of venturing into the unknown and the insane. To truly change and bring fresh ideas for the Mario games, you first change the environments, and the rest will follow.

LordTheNightKnight said:

Exploration is at least one of the problems. Can't speak for the OP, but Malstrom and I do not claim it's the only problem. Also, I don't know what you mean by "star finder", but Malstrom means that the stars have to be collected at all, regardless of whether they are puzzle based, or however you get them.

2D Mario: dozens of areas where you get to the end dodging all the dangers.

3D Mario: around a dozen areas where you have to collect multiple stars from most of them to beat the game.

Inaccessability of 3D movement is something Malstrom discussed, especially in some recent posts. He knows the levels can't be identical, just that they aren't trying to adapt them at all to 3D.

3D Mario's worlds ar not "about a dozen areas", etc. Leastways they are not in Mario Galaxy, and less so in  Galaxy 2, where dozens of levels have branching  (but linear) paths utterly unlike other paths within the same levels. Perspective is important, here, and perspective requires the experience of playing something.

The fact tat stars hav to be collected might be part of it, but "star finder" is different from "star collector" and Maelstrom is awar ofthe differences when he uses the phrase.

Adapting 2D levels to 3D would not be playing to thhe strengths of 3D movement.

Most of you guys seem to complain as if you never played mario galaxy.

In galaxy, tons of the levels were very linear, with only one path in most cases to run through. What's more, you complain about uniqueness of levels, but in Mario Galaxy, many of the stars start at different parts of a planet that aren't even connected to one another. Heck, most stars on a planet in mario galaxy are the equivalent to different levels in a mario world in the 2d games.

Most of you guys are missing the point, the guy simply doesnt want to go to the same damn levels 5 or 6 times. Im right there with him. I like 64 and Sunshine ( I still have them), but that got boring about half way, especially when there was little variation between the stars on any given level. But all reports i've been reading are saying this is not the case so much with the Galaxy games, which im glad to hear. Honestly, I was a little turned off by the time Galaxy 1 came out so I never really dove in the game to find out myself.

Around the Network
Metallicube said:
I would love to see a 3D Mario that captured the essence of the 2D games. That is; get from beginning to end, destroying enemies, dodging obstacles, fast paced arcade style action, heavy emphasis on powerups, etc.

I do enjoy the 3D Mario games, and Mario 64 remains not only one of my favorite Mario games, but one of my favorite GAMES in general. However, they simply don't beat the classic 2D Mario games. They aren't quite as addictive, and aren't as fast paced "pick up and play."

At least make a 3D Mario game similar in quality and style to Mario 64. Sunshine was a decent game but largely disappointing environment and stupid gimmick of the waterpack. Galaxy was a step in the right direction, but I wasn't too fond of the small planets. The concept of "galaxies" and different (mostly) small planets is somewhat uninspired (from an atmospheric viewpoint), and falls short compared to the epic environments of Mario 64, and the thrill of jumping into paintings, experiencing massive and different worlds.

What the Mario series TRULY needs (whether 2D or 3D), is a step into a whole new set of worlds, like the Mushroom Kingdom and Dinosaur Land, but with new environments. We've seen the same old water worlds, ice worlds, fire worlds, and desert worlds.

But what about something fresh like, oh say.. crater world, where you dodge asteroids. Or glass world, where you slip and slide around and can crack walls? Or chemical world, where Mario enters a toxic environment and can be killed by radioactive waste or be hindered by exposure to radiation? The possibilities are really endless if you be creative. Mario needs to recapture that essence of venturing into the unknown and the insane. To truly change and bring fresh ideas for the Mario games, you first change the environments, and the rest will follow.

I agree wholeheartedly. I also think that the Galaxy premise is a bit misplaced for Mario. When I was younger playing Mario Bros games I wanted to BE in Mario World, or the Mushroom Kingdom. It was like Alice in Wonderland. I think the premise of Mario 64 was fanastic, jumping into paintings but it all still took place in the MK. I'm one of those that actually sold BACK Mario Sunshine, I was extremely disappointed with that game. Galaxy 1 was fantastic from the gameplay perspective, and VERY fun. I greatly enjoy the 3d Marios, and Galaxy 2 is a better game than the 1st. It shows the sort of incredible imagination Nintendo devs possess. They are extremely innovative and imaginative. Which is why Mario survived his 3d transition and Sonic did not.

However, it does lose its arcade roots, and its pick up and play ability with the 3d transition. But I do feel that they are 'getting it' Galaxy 2 shows me the light clicked in some areas but its still dim in others. Even while playing Galaxy 2 I get the itch to play NSMBWii. I think that the N64 era continues to be the benchmark used to 3d games, but tech has reached levels now that devs shouldn't be limited by that benchmark.

I think it is VERY possible to capture the 2d gameplay in 3d space. And I also think that Nintendo is aware of this..they just aren't looking at it from the right perspective yet. Imagine how huge a game a true 3d Mario World game can be (huge in scope and also in reception) They've taken the N64 Mario formula as far as I think they can with Galaxy 2. Its an AMAZING game and shits on every 3d platformer released..and it does it with ease!

I think the Nintendo devs have to unlearn what they have learned, and look at it from the perspective that Mario 64 was never made (which is still in the top 5 or 10 games of all time imo) and look at the last 2d Mario and see how they can keep the essence of that and bring it to 3d.

This is why all eyes are on Zelda, I think people want more fast paced action that has been missing from that series since the move to 3d as well. But that's a topic for another thread..

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Don't let the stars blind you. It's about the ride...

"Star Finder Mario" is such a stupid labeling, and is hypocritical from a person who hates all the stupid labeling that many expanded market games receive. I could easily call 2D Mario games "Flagpole Hunting Mario", and have it make just as much sense.

blunty51 said:
Don't let the stars blind you. It's about the ride...

Exactamundo.

And let me tell you, the ride is awesome.

Honestly, I'd love to see a more action oriented 3D Mario.