By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - CNBC: 310,000 Xbox 360 consoles sold in the U.S last week

sinha said:
carlos710 said:

Perhaps ioi should lower the totals for 360 sales.

Uhhh, what??

Edit: Seriously, can you explain this? Microsoft claims 360 sales were over 50k higher than the vgchartz estimation, therefore ioi should lower the 360 totals? How the hell does that make any sense?

Because NPD monthly data is always lower than vgchartz for x360. ioi accepted that he wants to overtrack the xbox compared to NPD.

However i have to say that i trust more NPD

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Around the Network

Arcade is selling out? Nice! Seems that the MS Casual dept. is working finally!

MS bringing competitiveness back to the USA FTW!

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

naznatips said:
sinha said:
DarkNight_DS said:
Apparently they are also saying that software sales last week for the 360 were equal to both Wii and PS3 software combined. Anyone want to figure that one out?

See my post above.

You realize though that even if Microsoft got these "retail estimates" even taking out Wii Sports and Wii Play that would be nowhere near an accurate statement.

I guess they must have removed Links crossbow training and if they used NPD's data... well we know they have no more Toys R Us data which anyone can see by going inside a Toys R Us paints a much different picture then what NPD might have possibly leaked out.

EDIT: This looks like a Microsoft shipment list to retailers...  It looks like a bunch of BS now... 

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Isn't funny that a VGC poster a few day ago opened a thread about MS being quietly about 360 sales ?

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

DarkNight_DS said:
naznatips said:
sinha said:
DarkNight_DS said:
Apparently they are also saying that software sales last week for the 360 were equal to both Wii and PS3 software combined. Anyone want to figure that one out?

See my post above.

You realize though that even if Microsoft got these "retail estimates" even taking out Wii Sports and Wii Play that would be nowhere near an accurate statement.

I guess they must have removed Links crossbow training and if they used NPD's data... well we know they have no more Toys R Us data which anyone can see by going inside a Toys R Us paints a much different picture then what NPD might have possibly leaked out.

I suppose it's possible that these are based on NPD data.  It could explain Nintendo's lower estimates as well... I'm not sure though.  I want to know where these retail sources are.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
sinha said:
DarkNight_DS said:

See my post above.

Do you mean that Microsoft's statement based on retail estimes would be nowhere near accurate or that the weekly estimations from vgchartz based on ioi's sources would be nowhere near accurate? 

Are you really saying Microsoft's numbers are less accurate than vgchartz? 

Because in response to that I must quote ioi, specifically about Black Friday sales:

"Wow, we screwed up bigtime this week !!

Looks like Black Friday, regional bias, store bias, sales etc skewed our data to the extent that it was miles off.

Seems we need to increase our data sources...
"

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

I wonder if Sony feels pressured to release real numbers? Or will they continue to release vague percentages?

carlos710 said:
I would be surprised if this site undertracked the 360 for once. ioi has accepted that he actually overtracks them (vs NPD).

that's another case of selective memory: in august and september VGCHARTZ was undertracking the x360...and actually the only time that X360 numbers were overtracked by VGCHARTZ and NOT COMPLETELY adjusted after NPD report was October...

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

Once again... numbers most likely based on Shipments to retailers...

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Spectrumglr said:
carlos710 said:
I would be surprised if this site undertracked the 360 for once. ioi has accepted that he actually overtracks them (vs NPD).

that's another case of selective memory: in august and september VGCHARTZ was undertracking the x360...and actually the only time that X360 numbers were overtracked by VGCHARTZ and NOT COMPLETELY adjusted after NPD report was October...

Undertracked by 20k. Not overtracked by 150k

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"