By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - CNBC: 310,000 Xbox 360 consoles sold in the U.S last week

Woot the site is updated.  SHouldn't software get a boost with more hardware being sold?  Remember that 6+ attach rate so add in an extra 40k hardware and thats 240k software.  I say higher Mass Effect and Rock band sales!

Around the Network
carlos710 said:
Spectrumglr said:
carlos710 said:
I would be surprised if this site undertracked the 360 for once. ioi has accepted that he actually overtracks them (vs NPD).

Perhaps ioi should lower the totals for 360 sales.

that's another case of selective memory: in august and september VGCHARTZ was undertracking the x360...and actually the only time that X360 numbers were overtracked by VGCHARTZ and NOT COMPLETELY adjusted after NPD report was October...

Undertracked by 20k. Not overtracked by 150k

actually it was undertracked by 60k in September (if we sum up Us + Canada)...and NPD October was just US...so probablythe difference is in the range of 100k

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

FishyJoe said:
I wonder if Sony feels pressured to release real numbers? Or will they continue to release vague percentages?

Sales are last gen. Percentages are next gen.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

sinha said:
naznatips said:
sinha said:
DarkNight_DS said:
Apparently they are also saying that software sales last week for the 360 were equal to both Wii and PS3 software combined. Anyone want to figure that one out?

See my post above.

You realize though that even if Microsoft got these "retail estimates" even taking out Wii Sports and Wii Play that would be nowhere near an accurate statement.

Do you mean that Microsoft's statement based on retail estimes would be nowhere near accurate or that the weekly estimations from vgchartz based on ioi's sources would be nowhere near accurate?

Are you really saying Microsoft's numbers are less accurate than vgchartz?

Because in response to that I must quote ioi, specifically about Black Friday sales:

"Wow, we screwed up bigtime this week !!

Looks like Black Friday, regional bias, store bias, sales etc skewed our data to the extent that it was miles off.

Seems we need to increase our data sources...
"

And regarding that last statement, I must mention that I made exactly that point, about vgchartz increasing its data sources, in this earlier thread.  Really it should be obvious to anyone who understands basic statistics (sample size, selection bias / sample bias)...

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

And let me add that's not a criticism of vgchartz, ioi, or any of the data here, this site is great and I hope it eventually takes NPD down. I just hope it becomes more and more accurate with time (something that requires increasing the number of data sources, hell no numbers can be perfect until the data is from ALL potential sources).

But people are too focused on the pretty numbers when there is a fairly large margin of error in all of this.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

Some more info here:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8148&Itemid=2

Microsoft said that it outsold Sony's PlayStation 3 2 to 1 last week, according to retail estimates.

I'd take a wait and see approach on all these numbers for now. That's especially the case with MS' report. At least Sony we know the numbers were bad because of their focus on percent gains and Nintendo generally doesn't play with numbers and at any rate even if they reported shipped then that means sold to customer for the Wii. MS on the other hand has been known to be sly with sales figures and especially now that Nintendo beat them to the punch they have to report the best figure they can create. As we found out last year around this time MS is capable of shipping a heck of a lot 360s to retailers whether they sell or not.

The thing that continues to strike me though is how bone-headed MS' managers seem to be. They were really surprised that a sub-$300 360 would sell better than the $350+ variants? With managerial brilliance like that it's no wonder MS can only make money on video games the quarters that Halo sells millions of copies (oh and by using shifty accounting).

As for the software figures, those are from last month and aren't all that impressive for the 360. It had 51% of the hardware base and 52% of cost adjusted software sales.

Last month the 360 was way overtracked. This month is might be undertracked.

ioi did mention adding some new sources, maybe he hasn't properly configured his data to properly estimate the consoles?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

FishyJoe said:

Some more info here:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8148&Itemid=2

Microsoft said that it outsold Sony's PlayStation 3 2 to 1 last week, according to retail estimates.

Old

Mod should read the entire thread before posting  

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

The issue is that the sources ioi gets data from probably can't track alot of the more "general" american retail stores like K-Mart, Wal-Mart, and such (atleast in my mere opinion).

That's why DS sales were way off too. When you get a more basic, huge retail store like Walmart, their sales can come and go in droves....In this case, it seems like the sources ioi uses had a typical, easy-to-see holiday boost for the Wii and PS3, as these stores give a great "sample" that easily compares to NPD. Wii and PS3 sales are usually not too far off in the US.

On the other hand, the DS and X360 are usually more difficult (as well as the PS2). This is probably because sales vary greatly on when, and where sales occur. In the case of the DS, it wouldn't take much for people to rush out and buy it at a Wal-Mart moreso than anywhere else. When I was at Wal-Mart on Black Friday, tons of kids hovered around the cases. If ioi couldn't track Wal-Mart, or other general stores, he'd have the most to lose in terms of accuracy from them.

But that's not ioi's fault. He needs to do whatever he can to get ahold of a bigger sample size though, preferably with more "general" retailers like Toys R Us, Wal-Mart, Target, and such.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.