By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - CNBC: 310,000 Xbox 360 consoles sold in the U.S last week

gebx said:
sinha said:
johnsobas said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212314

apparently 360 outsold PS3 2:1. If that is true then the PS3 numbers are very good, perhaps very slightly overtracked. It would be 155k, obviously there is Canada but probably only has a few thousand considering there is no black friday.

According to that, "360 software outsold PS3 and Wii software combined."

Vgchartz has

Wii: 2,521,741

PS3: 943,709

-------------------

Total: 3,465,450

360: 2,369,203

Difference: 1,096,247

And apparently it OUTSOLD them combined, not sold the same as, so the actual difference is some number greater than that.

I think the OP screwed up and was referring to October software numbers. Everytime i've read an article on last weeks sale they've all mentioned that the 360 outsold both the PS3 and Wii combined in software for the month of October. 360 54% share, Wii 30%, PS3 16%

No official software numbers have been release by NPD as of yet

Edit - Damn too slow Naz beat me to it!

Yeah, I wasn't sure (never depend on some random dude posting on an internet forum), so I put "According to that" and "apparently"...

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

Well I reported in a thread about the elite selling out in many online retail with gamestop as of right now has all 3 skus backordered so sales are much higher then previous weeks.

elnino334 said:
Well I reported in a thread about the elite selling out in many online retail with gamestop as of right now has all 3 skus backordered so sales are much higher then previous weeks.

Yeah it looks like Black Friday was a great week for Microsoft too.  In fact, it looks like Black Friday was a great week for the industry in general this year.  Insanely high sales compared to Black Friday last year and the year before. 

naznatips said:
elnino334 said:

Yeah it looks like Black Friday was a great week for Microsoft too. In fact, it looks like Black Friday was a great week for the industry in general this year. Insanely high sales compared to Black Friday last year and the year before.

Video game companies can thank Chinese (poisoned) toy manufacturers for that.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Yeah I think the industry needed this though mainly for the PS3/360 with the expensive development cost. We need those high rated games to have good sales especially the new IP's so that we may get more.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
i have a feeling its only shipment numbers stated.. not customer sales.

Exactly.  How would CNBC otherwise come up with the numbers?

TheBigFatJ said:
ssj12 said:

Exactly. How would CNBC otherwise come up with the numbers?

The 2 to1 comparison wouldn't make much sense if it was shipping numbers, since Sony hasn't released it's shipping numbers AFAIK. 

TheBigFatJ said:
ssj12 said:

Exactly. How would CNBC otherwise come up with the numbers?

As a journalist, you have access to info the public doesn't beforehand. With NBC, CNBC, MSNBC, these folks have vritually unlimited access to confirm/deny numbers. It's a slight chance he's wrong, but knowing the vast amount of info at NBC's disposal, forgetaboutit ...

Looks like Sony is disputing the numbers. Although they could end it simply by telling us their numbers. 

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/126846.asp

Update, 12:30 p.m.: Sony is disputing Microsoft's statement about the ratio of Xbox 360 to PS3 sales. Here's what Kimberly Otzman, a Sony spokeswoman, said in an e-mail just now:

"It's (Sony Computer Entertainment America) policy not to disclose our unit sales numbers until NPD numbers are officially released which will be December 13th. However, I can assure you that Microsoft's estimates of our PS3 unit sales numbers are way off and they did not outsell PS3 2:1 during Black Friday week."

FishyJoe said:

Looks like Sony is disputing the numbers. Although they could end it simply by telling us their numbers.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/126846.asp

Update, 12:30 p.m.: Sony is disputing Microsoft's statement about the ratio of Xbox 360 to PS3 sales. Here's what Kimberly Otzman, a Sony spokeswoman, said in an e-mail just now:

"It's (Sony Computer Entertainment America) policy not to disclose our unit sales numbers until NPD numbers are officially released which will be December 13th. However, I can assure you that Microsoft's estimates of our PS3 unit sales numbers are way off and they did not outsell PS3 2:1 during Black Friday week."

NPD out on 13/12. That is going to be a very interesting day.